The Rule you most hate in cricket

• Thread starter Deleted member 11215
  • Start date
D/L one.. I dont understand it thats why..

Hay with Bad light England won the ashes so I think is not a bad rule :)

That isn't true. The only bad light occurences I can remember two years ago was at The Oval in the fifth test and by the time play was stopped on the fifth day England were already in an unassailable position.

The thing i dont like about D/L method is if a team posts up 330 in 50 overs, and the second batting team comes out and says, right, we'll have 10 overs we reckon then we'll be forced to go off, or something, then in those overs, they can go gung ho are the ball and smash 60/0 off 8 overs, luckily, and win the game, when in 40 overs wickets could be lost!

Thats the most wierd bit about it.

Note that wolfy say's 'If it's close' that game was not close, Hampshire had 5 wickets left to get 150 off 20 overs, so i'd be in favour of a regulation that meant that if you are more than 80 runs off the D/L par when the rain comes, and you are 5 wickets down, that's it, game over.

Read all the posts about it, then your question is answered.
It still makes it an anti climax. Having a second day to a OD game takes the gloss off it. Let D/L decide it. Ok it throws up the odd bizarre result, but most of the time it works and it is our only way to finish a OD game if it is finished by rain.

Oh and Simon, that can't happen, because in a 50 over match, both sides have to bowl at least 20 overs for it to become a match. If not the match is abandoned.

sd92's post was a joke.
I imagine.

I have nothing against D/L, i'm supporting D/L, D/L is the best method around D/L should be used in a final.
But not when a team needs 20 runs off 3 overs with 3 wickets in hand, or something similar to that, just play the next day, fair enough, the crowd won't be huge, it'll be tiny, but i'd go and watch an end like that, and in the end, sport is entertainment, play it.

Well i don't mean they should scrap the rule obviously :p

I mean some of the ways it is used. Meaning i think it should be a decision solely from the umpires, rather than asking fielders, batsman, the crowd and the owner of the nearby burger van. It should be made by the umpires, they have the equipment and vision (hopefully) to make the decision, so there's no point fannying about asking all and sundry.

The rule that umpires' decision is final no matter what. In very obvious errors, the third umpire should have a role to play.

What is a very obvious error? That would be a judgemental call on a case-by-case left to the third umpire who has the benefit of replays.

The rule that umpires' decision is final no matter what. In very obvious errors, the third umpire should have a role to play.

What is a very obvious error? That would be a judgemental call on a case-by-case left to the third umpire who has the benefit of replays.

Like when there is a massive thick edge that can be heard all around the ground and the umpire gives him out LBW?

I think the batting side should get 5 challenges a match. When they disagree with a decision, they can challenge and take it to the third umpire. Same thing goes for the fielding side. Bit like the new rule that's been brought into tennis.

Exactly, this shows the need for more technology because some umpires should not be out there in the middle, but should instead be walking a labrador

Quote from Bob Willis-moaning grandad :p

Like when there is a massive thick edge that can be heard all around the ground and the umpire gives him out LBW?

I think the batting side should get 5 challenges a match. When they disagree with a decision, they can challenge and take it to the third umpire. Same thing goes for the fielding side. Bit like the new rule that's been brought into tennis.

5 is a bit much, I would go with 2 challenges per innings. That should be fair enough without getting too bogged down with decision making through the 3rd umpire. With 5 challenges, it might slow down the game too much.

Users who are viewing this thread