The Rule you most hate in cricket

• Thread starter Deleted member 11215
  • Start date
yeah because a team may be planning o attack later in the innings to keep wickets, and then suddenly out of the blue heavy rainfall comes and the team were just something like 0.50 behind the rate....really unfair

Yeah, that was a real problem with the old run rate rule. Good thing that the D/L method takes that into account.

yeah because a team may be planning o attack later in the innings to keep wickets, and then suddenly out of the blue heavy rainfall comes and the team were just something like 0.50 behind the rate....really unfair

YAY someone agrees with me for the first time

sorry for being offtopic...

But then, look at yesterdays match... At some point the RRR was 15... And then they lost by only 9 runs. What if it had rained?

End of over 40 (6 runs) - England 230/6 (100 runs required from 60 balls, RR: 5.75, RRR: 10.00)

tail exposed and RRR is 10. Had it rained then it would have been a clean win for india...

but they won by only 9 runs, which means that had England done better they would have won. It was unpredictable. So D/L doenst really justify cricket

maybe they should play during rain? :rolleyes:

no they shouldnt play in rain, how are the bowlers meant to bowl, never mind the spinners...

i was just joking... maybe making cricket indoor will help?

its not a rule as such, but i got warned twice for it:

we were batting 2nd (out of 2) and i was in bat and after playing my shot, i happened to run down the middle of the pitch. i didnt realise i was doing it until the grumpy umpy told me i was. i got a warning, a little later i did near enough the same thing. warned again. to be fair i was out about 2 balls later but i thought, i'm batting @ 8 and there are only a few wickets left in the game. if we were batting first, i would have accepted that i may have been trying to gain an advantage when we bowl, but the fact that we were batting second really peeved me

basically, i think common sense should prevail there if the team is batting second

Nah, it wouldn't work because of they way it would affect the pitches. You would forever be playing on seaming wickets.

I hate the rule revolving around hitting the ball twice. Very few Umpires understand it totally let alone players. It needs adjusting to be honest.

YAY someone agrees with me for the first time

sorry for being offtopic...

But then, look at yesterdays match... At some point the RRR was 15... And then they lost by only 9 runs. What if it had rained?

tail exposed and RRR is 10. Had it rained then it would have been a clean win for india...

but they won by only 9 runs, which means that had England done better they would have won. It was unpredictable. So D/L doenst really justify cricket

maybe they should play during rain? :rolleyes:

You've just described the run rate method, not the D/L method.

Yeah, that was a real problem with the old run rate rule. Good thing that the D/L method takes that into account.

I have never seen a problem with going into an extra day if available in International cricket.

The problem with D/L it is just guesswork, I would rather the match be null and void unless one team is clearly going to win.

One Day games ever going into a second day should be avoided. It turns into a damp squib, just as the FP Trophy final did.

The problem with D/L it is just guesswork, I would rather the match be null and void unless one team is clearly going to win.

Guesswork!? A formula designed by highly respected statisticians that was generated by researching every major one-day match in history and time and time again shows itself to be by far the best rain-rule out there is guesswork!?

I have never seen a problem with going into an extra day if available in International cricket.

One Day games ever going into a second day should be avoided. It turns into a damp squib, just as the FP Trophy final did.

Yes, the issue of crowd attendances would have a large affect.

The D\L is highly complex equation which takes into account a number of match variables.

It's not always going to get it correct but it doesn't do a bad job.

Guesswork!? A formula designed by highly respected statisticians that was generated by researching every major one-day match in history and time and time again shows itself to be by far the best rain-rule out there is guesswork!?

I am not argueing the fact it is the best system out there, it is.

But any of these systems will always be guesswork, as a team might be on course to win, but they could have gone quite easily off course.

If a football match is called of halfway through, and a team is 1-0 up, would they get the win just because they are winning? Of course not.

If a tennis match is being played and it gets rained off, would they just say the player that is winning has won the match? Of course not.

Another one of those situations where cricket lets itself down.

I am not argueing the fact it is the best system out there, it is.

But any of these systems will always be guesswork, as a team might be on course to win, but they could have gone quite easily off course.

If a football match is called of halfway through, and a team is 1-0 up, would they get the win just because they are winning? Of course not.

If a tennis match is being played and it gets rained off, would they just say the player that is winning has won the match? Of course not.

Another one of those situations where cricket lets itself down.

What you are saying makes a lot of sense, but cricket isn't a game where it is simply 1-0 or 6-4. In cricket, time and wickets are extra dimentions to the simple scores and so an accurate prediction can be made. I would like to see a simple note at the bottom of scorecards just to see the predicted result after 75 overs of play, just to see how accurate it is.

Unlike football and tennis, cricket is called off often in the middle of a match and crowds will not be happy if all these games are no-results. Even though it creates initial unrest, the D/L method ruling is eventually accepted. It provides the fans in attendance and those watching at home with a result whilst many are aware that the impact is limited on large scale rankings.

Users who are viewing this thread