The Rule you most hate in cricket

• Thread starter Deleted member 11215
  • Start date
Bowlers being cautioned for running on the pitch. THEY DON'T DO IT ON PURPOSE!

Oh, and I wish umpire's would be less strict on wides for spinners in ODIs that pitch in line and turn past leg stump.

Although there is some element of truth in what you stay, what you would rather be done about it?

The penalty shoot out in football is far from fair as it ultimately comes down to who has the most nerve, would you like to see a bowl out in cricket?

Also, lets face it, making teams come back the next day is far from ideal, its turns the occasion into a farce, especially if its a big occasion.

thanks nixon... I am not exactly familiar with the cricketing terms, but both the methods seem to be unfair :p

Although there is some element of truth in what you stay, what you would rather be done about it?

For things like first-class league matches I wouldn't mind D/L.

If the game is close, then they should play into the next day if that day is available. Especially in cup matches and International matches. Give everyone free admission for the next day, you will see a good attendance still.

The penalty shoot out in football is far from fair as it ultimately comes down to who has the most nerve, would you like to see a bowl out in cricket?

No a penalty shoot out is just used in cup matches when the match is drawn, completely different. And a bowl out would not be feasible anyway as it would obviously be raining and the wicket would be unusable. I would rather have D/L than that.

Also, lets face it, making teams come back the next day is far from ideal, its turns the occasion into a farce, especially if its a big occasion.

Not really.

The current law on chucking. It's an absolute mess & can only ever be applied retrospectively.

Shabbir Ahmed was found to be exceeding the permitted degree of flexion when he helped to bowl England out in the first test of 2006/7 tour & duly banned for 12 months, but the result still stands!

The trouble is the technology to accurately judge the degree of a bowler's elbow flexion doesn't yet exist &, in the current climate, no umpire who has any long term ambitions to stay in the game is going to no-ball anyone for it.

If the game is close, then they should play into the next day if that day is available. Especially in cup matches and International matches. Give everyone free admission for the next day, you will see a good attendance still.

Except some people have spent a lot of money and travelled a long way to get to the game, and are simply unable to come back for a second day. It's one-day cricket.

Except some people have spent a lot of money and travelled a long way to get to the game, and are simply unable to come back for a second day. It's one-day cricket.

You can't please everyone, can you?

And at the end of the day it should be the players who decide what they would like best, not the fans.

No a penalty shoot out is just used in cup matches when the match is drawn, completely different. And a bowl out would not be feasible anyway as it would obviously be raining and the wicket would be unusable. I would rather have D/L than that.

Though differing, the penalty shoot is still used for the same means and that is to decide the result. It doesn't matter that a team may have outplayed the other for 120 minutes.

The D\L ways up a whole host of parameters in order to calculate what it feels is the fairest match situation upon resumption. It can't help it if team A are batting within themselves in order to hit out within the last 10 overs or if team B have decided to try to win in double quick time and have lost wickets in doing so.

Surely, if you know that there is the possibility of rain you play in order to stack the odds in your favour just in case the D\L is brought into play?

As for a bowl out then there is nothing stopping them going indoors, which as far as I know has happened in the past.

You can't please everyone, can you?

And at the end of the day it should be the players who decide what they would like best, not the fans.

If they were no fans then there would be no players (or least well paid ones) so I know who I'd rather keep happy.

Last edited:
The rule I hate most is this silly umpire referral thing they tried in the Friends Provident trophythis season, I hope it never sees the light of day again. If the umpire sticks his finger up, you are out, no arguments.

Aye, I totally agree with Kev. It was a stupid idea, it was only ever going to tread of the umpires toes. The last thing we need is more public complaints about umpiring, ala Referee's in Football.

I am not a fan of the 'hit outside off stump while playing a shot' rule. What is the point of it, it prevents in coming deliveries (which are the most agressive) earning wickets and acts as a huge disadvantage to off spin bowlers who do not possess a doosra and do not have close-in fielders. Almost any half arsed attempt to get the bat at the ball at the last minute counts as a shot and so even batsman padding up seem to be protected by the rule.

I agree our game has become too batsmen dominant and this rule is one of the reasons it's heading down this road. The batter should be good enough to put bat to ball rather than relying on being outside the zone and then knowing they can play a shot and not be given out.

The offering light rule is also another I hate, if the umpires deem it too hard to see then they should go off not offer the light to the batting side. Why give the batting side another advantage?

And a bowl out would not be feasible anyway as it would obviously be raining and the wicket would be unusable. I would rather have D/L than that.

Bowl outs when raining are done in indoor net's, they used to have this in the old C&G format I remember, aswell as a reserve day.

http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_data...ARDS/R01-2004/DORSET_BUCKS_C+G_28AUG2003.html

As shown here.
It could be done, although D/L is a fair as your gonna get, and that's the best way.
A bowl out wouldn't decide the result, it would decide who go's through to the next round (Same as penalties, penaltites don't decide the reult, it decides who geet's the cup or who goes through), as i'd still just keep it to knock out stages of cup's.
Because Zimbabwe will end up beating Australia in an ODI series 2-1 because they won 2 bowl outs.
So just knockouts.

Last edited:
The D/L method is screwed, and the free hit off a no ball is crap. I don't like the hitting outside the line rule. I think, that if it's going on to hit the stumps, it should be out.

This game is becoming more and more for batsmen. Myself, as a leg spin bowler, I do not want to see this happen.

Users who are viewing this thread