Draft: The UnderRated Draft

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Here is the Qpee, for a Draft idea here...how's about a Draft where you think players were truly underrated in their teams after they retired?

Being from Trinidad, I think of Mervyn Dillon in particular. He was a good fast bowler, but I mean, he never got his due did he? Tony Cozier mentioned on air once that Merv was the only WI bowler to have had 100+ wickets in the entire WI squad at the time. Compare that to his commentary a few years earlier when he said that Ambrose and Walsh had more wickets together than the entire Australian team.

But Mervyn Dillon was an awesome quick bowler. Ian Bishop is also one of those who are up there or thereabouts in terms of underrated.

If we look to India...very few on here can recall Javagal Srinath, but he was one of the most underrated Indian bowlers ever. If we go onto Australia, Stuart MacGill was always considered "the poor man's Shane Warne".

The Rules:

I'm accepting 10 participants - there are currently 12 teams that play Test cricket, so no worries there.
If more than 5 members (50%) of those members say that your player was not underrated, then you lose the player.
They have to have ended their career (at least for now, unless Gareth Batty has something to say).
Any Test, ODI, First Class, or List A player can be included.
You will get a team by my random selector (Google) and you're picking a Test team here.
They have to had played at least ONE international match (Test or ODI...T20 is NOT a consideration here).
I won't flake on this one, mostly.
If I find your player on any sort of "all time team" list, that pick is disqualified.
BUT, if I find someone speaking about them as underrated then it's okay. (For example, Courtney Walsh called Srinath the most underrated bowler in the world in 1992, so he'll be acceptable. Calling the India shots right there!)
I will randomise the Draft order, so maybe someone has a double pick, maybe not. IT's up to Google's randomiser.
I will do an analysis of the teams once the Draft is over.

Ideas, guys? Sign up?

Here is the Qpee, for a Draft idea here...how's about a Draft where you think players were truly underrated in their teams after they retired?

Being from Trinidad, I think of Mervyn Dillon in particular. He was a good fast bowler, but I mean, he never got his due did he? Tony Cozier mentioned on air once that Merv was the only WI bowler to have had 100+ wickets in the entire WI squad at the time. Compare that to his commentary a few years earlier when he said that Ambrose and Walsh had more wickets together than the entire Australian team.

But Mervyn Dillon was an awesome quick bowler. Ian Bishop is also one of those who are up there or thereabouts in terms of underrated.

If we look to India...very few on here can recall Javagal Srinath, but he was one of the most underrated Indian bowlers ever. If we go onto Australia, Stuart MacGill was always considered "the poor man's Shane Warne".

The Rules:

I'm accepting 10 participants - there are currently 12 teams that play Test cricket, so no worries there.
If more than 5 members (50%) of those members say that your player was not underrated, then you lose the player.
They have to have ended their career (at least for now, unless Gareth Batty has something to say).
Any Test, ODI, First Class, or List A player can be included.
You will get a team by my random selector (Google) and you're picking a Test team here.
They have to had played at least ONE international match (Test or ODI...T20 is NOT a consideration here).
I won't flake on this one, mostly.
If I find your player on any sort of "all time team" list, that pick is disqualified.
BUT, if I find someone speaking about them as underrated then it's okay. (For example, Courtney Walsh called Srinath the most underrated bowler in the world in 1992, so he'll be acceptable. Calling the India shots right there!)
I will randomise the Draft order, so maybe someone has a double pick, maybe not. IT's up to Google's randomiser.
I will do an analysis of the teams once the Draft is over.

Ideas, guys? Sign up?
Idea is good but there is some ambiguity in the rules that should be cleared up in my opinion. Otherwise either the Draft is going to take really long or really short time. I will explain how...

- If a member is assigned to pick from only a specified Test nation then the Draft ends there. Because everyone can post their teams in a single post and that will be it. It can linger on for a little bit if members continuously reject other teams.
- If members are allowed to compete and pick players from any Test nation for their teams then it is going to take a long time. Because everyone will not only have to make their pick individually in a constrained time slot, but they will also have to wait for an approval or disapproval from other members (The 50% rejection rule that you have described).

Users who are viewing this thread