Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters
lol lucky to get ur ban overturned flintoff hitting people with his bat lol this story goes from strength to strength! :cool:

Glamorgan XI vs Essex Announced

After my meeting with the coach I headed back to the nets where the rest of the lads were training. The 2XI were playing a practice match against each other and one of them cracked a six straight in my direction. The ball rocketed into the sight board about 2 foot in front of me. I wasn't best impressed. A few of the lads in the 1XI saw this and they started laughing at me. I performed a dump tackle on Cooky to shut him up :p

I spent the rest of that lesson with Ian Wotton working on my leg-side play. The coach was concerned about our batting and he was working us hard to improve it. We didn't actually have too many genuine batsmen, but a lot of all-rounders. Therefore there was always a lot of pressure on the top order to perform. Ian was trying to get me to work on just flicking it off my legs. I kept on getting too much bat on it and hitting it down to square-leg :mad The glance down to fine-leg is a good way to score runs in OD matches as fine-leg is often left inside the ring. By the end of the session I had finally managed to get it all to work. Luckily I wasn't as bad as Mike a.k.a Borat :p

Soon the coach came out and announced that he had chosen the squad for the next match against Essex. I was confident of being picked as I had been performing well in training and I believed myself and the coach got on well. I went and checked the notice board:

Cricket20052008-08-1921-19-57-01-1.jpg

Sure enough I had been picked and I was batting at number 4, my favourite positon. We had 6 bowlers in the side which gave us real depth and the whole XI could bat. We all knew it was going to be a tough match, as Essex are one of the best, but as we had a pint promised for every 50, or 3 wickets there was a massive incentive there :p

Tom then turned up. Everyone just cracked up when they saw him. He had finally been picked and yet he wasn't here when it was announced. But that wasn't why we were in hysterics. He looked like Tango man. There was this girl he was trying to impress and he had gone to get a fake tan. It had obiously back-fired though as he now looked ridiculous. We could see who would be the butt of all the jokes for the next few weeks ;)

--------------------

I'm going to be updating the first post again as it has got slightly behind the times. Remember to check it out :)

Last edited by a moderator:
great to see you in the squad . Hope you behave like a nice child there and score runs

Great update

Cricket20052008-08-1921-19-21-75.jpg

Match Day: Glamorgan vs Essex

On the morning of the match with Essex I was bouncing all over the place. I was incredibly fired up and as I got dressed I was too busy thinking of tactics to realise I had my trousers and shirt muddled up. Eventually with all the correct items of clothes in the right places, I kissed Gemma and went off to pick up Cooky and Tango-man a.k.a Tom.

Through it being my car I was able to stop Cooky putting his horrific chav music on and instead listened to some good quality, real music. Kasabian :D As I pulled into the ground I realised there was quite a big crowd for today's match. It seemed like a majority of the Glamorgan members had turned up to watch this and one of the Bin-Laden's was also here. Not too much pressure on us to perform :rolleyes: We were one of the last groups of people to arrive namely through Tom taking so long to get ready :noway I'm beginning to wonder if he is a woman in disguise. The coach gave us a long briefing about the Essex team. The more he talked the worse it looked. They had plenty of international stars playing for them and it seemed we were out of our depth. We decided we would just have to give it our best and see what happened.

It had been raining through the night and the outfield was soaking and the square was quite damp as well. It would make batting very hard. However, our groundsman told the skip that more rain was due and that batting first might get the most out of the pitch. Out in the middle, David won the toss and did decide to bat first. This was about the time when I found out the match was going to be televised :eek: I could see all the Sky Sports logos and equipment all over the place. As if I didn't have enough pressure as it was. David came back and told us the Essex XI. I decided I would go and hide in a cupboard. It didn't look like we would have much of a chance.

Cricket20052008-08-1921-20-05-97.jpg

Whilst David and Gareth got all their pads on, I slipped mine on, just in case I was called in early. I was hoping to be needed around the 20-30 over mark. Experience had told me this rarely happened. As David and Gareth strode out to the middle, I cracked open a Lucozade and got ready to watch the first few overs.

We started well in the first over with both Gareth and David looking to be positive. However, in the second over disaster struck. Cowan completely deceived the skip with a slower one and he spooned it to Danish Kaneria in the covers who took a superb catch. I was gutted as now Shaun was in, making me the next batsman. David walked back in with his head down. We really hadn't wanted to lose the early wicket yet we had done just that. We had to hope no that Shaun and Gareth would have a nice big partnership.

Cricket20052008-08-1921-26-55-59.jpg

Out in the middle Shaun got ready to face his first ball. He spent a long time getting settled down. We did appreciate the importance though of this. I, meanwhile, spoke to the skip,

"What's it like out there?"

"Well there is no bounce. You are going to have to be playing most of your shots off the front foot. There is quite a bit of seam movement as well, which is making it a bit tricky. I think we should be up for it though."

"Yeah, hopefully Shaun and Gareth can have a nice big partnership. I don't want to be going in too early."

":laugh I don't know why you are complaining. With all the camera's here it would be a good chance for you to show off ;)"

Out in the middle Shaun was finally ready. Cowan came in to bowl and it was a straight one which seamed across him. Shaun followed it and it took a massive edge :eek: It was flying low to Bopara's right. Luckily it just bounced short of him and ran down to third-man. My heart had been in my mouth for a second there. I really did not want to be going in this early.

smarsh.jpg

Cooky and Dizzy were playing a game of poker in the back. It was good to see they were interested in what was happening in the game :p I meanwhile had my eyes transfixed on the game. I was trying to get as much information as I could which would help me when I batted. It looked like it would be a good game........

ooo tension is building in this match!! Lets hope there is a big partnership here - but not too big... to deny u of your maiden century for Glamorgan! :p Great pres as always! :)

How did Kaneria catch that one??:eek: This should be interesting to see you bat early on in the innings.

Nice presentation! KUTGW!

Users who are viewing this thread