Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters
Another awesome update - shame your batting isnt as good as the updates :P Lets hope Glamorgan can get some runs and may have a chance of winning :)

Cricket20052008-08-1921-19-21-75.jpg

Glamorgan on the ropes

As I made my way back up to the balcony to watch the remaining part of the Glamorgan innings I had a look outside the main door, to see a kid there dressed in a Glamorgan kit. This kid was in a wheelchair and had all sorts of tubes going into him. I got talking with him and his dad. They were both avid cricket fans and it made me realise how lucky I was. So on the spur of the moment I invited them in to meet the team. Seeing the way that smile shot across that kid's face put everything into perspective. I introduced them to all the team, and aranged for them to get numerous gifts from the lads and also a signed Glamorgan shirt from the squad. I also got it so they always had passes to come behind the scenes and watch the matches with the players. The coach spotted this and came over,

"Tom, that is one of the kindest things I think I have ever seen a member of this squad do. Not only are you a great cricketer you also have a heart of gold."

"Well cheers coach, I don't know what to say."

It seemed like I had really made an impact with the coach. I later learned from Crofty that the coach had a son who was dying of cancer and was confined to a wheel-chair. It explained a lot.

Although things behind the scenes were going well, out on the pitch, it wasn't going so well. We had wanted someone to stage a recovery but unfortunately it wasn't to be. We lost three more wickets for very few runs, leaving us 68/7, and the skip banging his head against the wall in frustration. Essex had three slips in and all of the last 3 wickets had gone into that cordon. We were just being out-classed and there was very little we could do.

Cricket20052008-08-1922-59-42-33cop.jpg

It was soon the end of the power play overs. We had only scored 68 runs with the loss of 7 wickets. We still had Tom and Dimi out there, both very capable with the bat, but there was a hell of a lot of pressure on them to make at least a 100 partnership. They would just have to bat very slowly and build up the score single by single. I was chatting to Shaun,

"Not looking good is it Shaun"

"G'day, skippy. Fosters super chilled beer rules. Let's go surfing"

(I had forgotten he was an Aussie so incapable of making proper conversation)

I instead decided to talk to a sensible Brit, Dave:

"Not looking good is it Dave."

"Yeah, you bowlers are going to have to be playing some of your best cricket to win us this match. You never know though, Dimi and Tom could add another 50 runs or so, giving us a chance."

"Yeah, your right. Let's keep our fingers crossed."

We would need a lot more than fingers crossed, more like divine intervention

Cricket20052008-08-1923-09-27-50.jpg

Hopefully Dimi and Tom would be up to the challenge. While they got about the hard work of salvaging this innings, I talked cricket with the sick kid, called Sam. He was only 13 and yet had a very good knowledge of cricket. It really did humble you...........

------------------------------------------------

The first page has now got updated career stats of Tom Baker. You owe me a pint as it took bloody ages for very little return.

:happy We have also pretty much reached, 1.25K of posts in this thread, thanks to all who have posted in this thread to make this possible :happy

Last edited:
Ahhh what a great gesture! :) Shame the batsman aren't as good as your kind heartedness... oh well! Keep it up and congrats on 1,250 posts and 26,000+ views or however much it is... :p

Also, the updates stats are awesome! :)

WOW! What an emotional and funny update. I really like your writing style Tom. Looks like Tom and Dimi are going to have to hang in there for any hope of Glamorgan getting past 100 or 150.

Fantastic works mate!

awesome mate, understand the effort of first post. Congrats/

btw just for you guys to know, check the first member other than Tom to post in here

cheers Tom for updating the stats! Great update as always and Glamorgan in a lot of trouble but Dimi is capable of a big innings.

That's a pretty good batting average even though whenever I see you're out for very low.

Missed your bowling average, or is to embarrassing to post? ;) :p

How the hell do I work that out, when I haven't been doing ball by ball commentary?

That's a pretty good batting average even though whenever I see you're out for very low.

A couple of high scores and a not out have kind of screwed the figures.

:happy Thanks everyone for the comments. Updates soon :happy

Users who are viewing this thread