Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters
A average start. Could have done without the wicket of the skipper. However, if Marsh settles down he can be a dangerous player to contend with.

Great presentation Tom!

Great pres as always Tom and i can't see a big partnership you better get ready that Essex team is very strong! Great start to the match and your chance to impress Sky Sports!

Wotton feels your play against the spinners could improve ... he told me when he hit 72* today in a total of 130 lol

Cricket20052008-08-1921-19-21-75.jpg

Glamorgan in Trouble

We had all just witnessed Shaun escape losing his wicket by the skin of his teeth. The atmosphere in the pavillion was very tense now. The banter had dried up and most of us were watching the game. David was beginning to regret deciding to bat first as Shaun and Matt were really struggling out there. The experience of Essex was really showing, as there bowlers bowled an excellent line and length, leaving our batsmen not sure whether to play or leave. I was chatting to Mike,

"It's looking tough out there. We've got our work cut out."

"You got that right. WE WILL BLAME DAVID!!!! :p"

The skip told him where he could go shove it :p

Shaun had been out there for a long time now, but had not looked confident. A ball on his legs, should have been flicked away for 4. Instead, Shaun got a leading edge and spooned it straight to Tudor at square-leg. I was in......

Cricket20052008-08-1922-27-03-95cop.jpg

"Stay cool out there Tommy. This is gonna be bloody difficult so just play each ball on it's merit. Keep the score flowing but don't take any risks. Good luck"

I straightened my pads, made sure I had my lucky wrist-band on and headed towards the steps. I passed Shaun as he came back in and he wished me good luck. I could see the Essex team all grouped around the square. I felt like an antelope being eyed up by a pride of lions. It wasn't a nice feeling. Matt was waiting for me,

"Hey Tom. Nice start to your season with us, eh? :p Just keep a cool head and you'll be fine"

I was getting a lot of abuse from behind the stumps, especially from James Foster and Ravi Bopara. It was makig me very tense. I would be facing Tudor and I was expecting a full ball, looking for the edge. Sure enough it was. I leant forward and gave it the full face of the bat. No golden duck for me :)

Cricket20052008-08-1922-28-01-74.jpg

I survived the rest of the over. Matt was actually looking very comfortable at his end. He policy was the best defense was a strong offence. He was taking no prisoners and crashed two massive sixes of Tudor, which left Tudor fuming. Matt then asked for a new set of gloves and a message was brought out from Wotton. He wanted Matt to take it a lot more calmer as although he was looking in good touch, we couldn't afford to lose another wicket this early on, so could he now calm it down? Matt said no :p It was just the way he played.

Unfortunately this arrogance was his down-fall. The very next over he holed out to Tudor in the deep. There was a massive stare between the two, and Matty barged past Tudor knocking him off-balance. The Glamorgan fans cheered, and Matty shared a wink with me. It has been irresponsible of him, to throw away his wicket like that, but he had won his own private battle with Tudor. We were now in trouble though as we were 32/3 of just 6.2 overs. Myself and Mike would need a big partnership.

Cricket20052008-08-1922-28-59-24cop.jpg

"Hey Mike. Ready for a nice 100 partnership?"

"I was born ready. I was hitting centuries when you wearing nappies :p"

"I didn't think you were that old ;)"

Although myself and Mike were mucking around, we were actually deadly serious. We had to have a massive partnership here to try and rescue Glamorgan. There was a lot of pressure on us to keep our wickets but also score at a good rate. It was going to be tricky.

However, it was not to be. A full ball by Tudor, looked perfect to me for driving. I casually leant forward and was already imagining the ball crashing into the advertisment boards. Unfortunately the ball seamed of the pitch and it took the outside edge of the bat. I did think it might be safe for a couple of seconds as there was no first slip, but Foster propelled himself to the right and took a fantastic catch. I was out for just 7 :( and Glamorgan were now 41/4. I was gutted and the team were in trouble.

Animation1-3.gif

Back in the changing room I threw my bat at my bag, but it missed denting a locker. I was not at all happy. The coach came down to have a word with me. He didn't blame me as everyone had bad innings. He told me to remember that Essex would also have to bat in these conditions and as long as we could get a semi-decent score, it was not over yet. We both walked upstairs together. This was why I was happier at Glamorgan. At Kent there had been a lot of pressure on us to perform. Here it was understood that people made mistakes. There was no denying though, that we were in big trouble :(

I read all of the update then and some real great writing, Tom. You are really in trouble though what with Glamorgan being 41/4 but the coach is right, they still have to bat in these conditions. Good luck.

Great presentation and great writing as per your usual standards Tom, keep it going.

LISTEN TO WOTTON FOOL!

Would you ignore batting advice from someone with a better average than bradman? HONESTLY! THESE SHOW OFF GLAMORGAN BOYS!

another great update Tom but a failure with the bat u need some wickets bowling now.

Any chance you could give us your batting and bowling stats so far?

another great update Tom but a failure with the bat u need some wickets bowling now.

Any chance you could give us your batting and bowling stats so far?

Unfortunately not as I had to re-install '05 meaning all previous data was lost. If you want I could go back through and complie all of the stats and put it into an excel document?

Thanks for the comments guys, keep 'em coming :)

Users who are viewing this thread