Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters
Graham Thorpe!! :eek: What season are you playing in???

Tom, you'll never get selected for England :p

Expecting another Glamorgan loss here. At least it's not a damp pitch, maybe we'll get some decent scores finally! :D

I just thought I would do a wee test to see if anyone actually reads the whole update. Apparently only two people :rolleyes:

If you are actually reading my updates just to prove to me that you are, mention something about possible selection for the England team.

*Mentions something about England Selection*

Nice Update Tom! Hopefully the openers can get off to a good start

Tom, you'll never get selected for England :p

Expecting another Glamorgan loss here. At least it's not a damp pitch, maybe we'll get some decent scores finally! :D

You get that in pretty much every story. Especially my stories seeing as I use a hell of a lot of writing in report style and no in-game screenies. It's annoying to say the least, but there really isn't much you can do about it. All it's about nowadays is post counts.

Baker for France. About the only national team you are fit to play for. :p Nah, only joking mate, keep it up. Hope you win.

Baker for France. About the only national team you are fit to play for. :p Nah, only joking mate, keep it up. Hope you win.

WTH!!??

Tom would sweep the entire france team on his own! lol!

Been out a while so just catched up, I can't see you winning this, they have Murtagh in the grey and Mushy later on, still though a hard pitch can do something, just don't expect Cooky to do much in that condition, a bit of extra padding for the shorter ones me thinks, either that or he's trying to start a new trend!!:p:p

Well Surrey are favourites definitely. 4 experienced players in the Surrey line-up is going to very tough. Strange decision to bowl first by Surrey - but thats good for Glamorgan :)

See! I am reading it! Make that 3 people :p

Great update lol@Newcastle! How much did you scoff from that vending machine?

Cricket20052008-08-2021-16-41-71.jpg

Glamorgan make a positive start

First on the balcony. Result! :D The rookie has the best seat in the house to watch our openers face this Surrey bowling attack. Mike soon appeared and attempted to turf me out of my seat. I wasn't having any of it and he eventually gave up. Whose the Alpha Male now, eh? :p Out in the middle I could see Gary and Marshy chatting, whilst Butcher set the field. It was quite an agressive one, with a short leg, 4 slip and a gully. The openers would probably be receiving quite a few short pitched deliveries early on in the innings. I took note of this fact for when it would be my turn.

Marshy and Gary made a really positive start to the innings. They settled down quite quicky after the first few overs and begin to hit some good shots. Meanwhile up on the balcony, Mark and Tom were mucking around with a jock-strap they had found. They were trying to see how far thet could stretch it. Suddenly it snapped and when flying forward. It whizzed past me, hit Dizzy's drink and both the jock strap and the Lucozade when flying of the balcony to crash downstairs. This incident suddenly appeared on the big screen and raised an ironic cheer from the few die-hard fans who were watching. Tom and Mark quickly got told to calm it down by the skip ;)

Out in the middle things were still going extremely well. It was now mid-day and a beautiful drive through the covers by Marshy brought up the 50 partnership :clap Up on the balcony we all joined in on the applause as Marshy and Gary touched gloves. It had been exactly the start we had been looking for :)

Cricket20052008-08-2021-51-27-05.jpg

I was chatting to Mike:

"These two are going along very nicely, ey?"

"Yep they are looking in good touch. Marshy especially has been quite agressive. He was a good signing for us. Hopefully these guys can make it till lunch. It would have us in a great position."

Talk about how to really curse a player. Literally, ten minutes after Mike talked about them surviving till lunch, Surrey got the breakthrough. An absolute dog of a ball by Nicholson, full and wide, saw Gary attempting to crack it away. However, poor foot-work by Gary meant that he ended up having to reach for it. It was so bad it would have probably have been a wide. Unfortunately, it hit the toe of Gary's bat and flew nice and easy to Butcher at gully :( The Surrey boys all went running in, as Gary was left to trudge back to the pavillion shaking his head at what could have been.

The skip was the next man in. He had yet to make a score this season, so there was a bit of pressure on him to perform. We were now 62/1

Cricket20052008-08-2022-03-05-83cop.jpg

Back in the pavillion, I went over to have a word with Gary who was not looking too pleased about getting out.

"Hey mate. Bad luck back there. That dog really didn't deserve a wicket. You'll have to get even with him in the second innings ;)"

"Yeah I suppose so. Bloody frustrating though. I was in good form and too get out after making a start.......AHAHAHA, so annoying!!!"

"Yeah mate, I know what you mean..."

There was suddenly loud cheers and yells from outside on the pitch. I quickly ran over, too see Dizzy and Cooky shaking their heads in disappointment and then turn away. I went to the railing. There was the skip making his way back to the pavillion, head down. Meanwhile, Ormond and Murtagh were being swamped by the Surrey team. I looked at the big screen for the replay.

A fullish delivery, once again. The skip tried to drive it away, but it swung away from him. It took a massive edge and it did look like it might go through the vacant third slip region. Ormond however, dived to his left and threw his hand out. Somehow the ball stuck :eek: It was a fantastic catch, there was no denying that. We were now having a bit of a wobble. We needed Mike and Marshy to stabilise the innings for us.

Cricket20052008-08-2022-06-02-75.jpg

I was now the next man in. I got my pads on, and had my helmet, gloves and bat next to me. I really did not want to have to go in at the moment as this was now the tricky period before lunch. Out in the middle, Mike was preparing to face his first ball, against Murtagh. A fullish delivery saw him get an inside edge :eek: My heart was in my mouth, but luckily for me, the ball missed leg-stump by a hair's breadth. Murtagh was on the ground in disbelief at how Mike had got away with that. I could see Mike giving me a cheeky grin. A shake of the head was my only response. I wasn't planning on coming in, just yet.

Luckily for myself and the team that was the only major scare for us.There was a muted appeal for an LBW decision, but it was way outside the line. Mike and Marshy set about re-building a partnership, before the lunch break. Marshy was looking in fantastic touch and was coping with the spin of Salain Mushtaq, and the pace bowlers very well. It would be a big loss for us, when we lose him for International duties. Mike also looked in quite good touch and had hit a couple of very nice shots. A solid partnership was being built up here.

1Lords_Cricket_Ground_Heath_Streak.jpg

Eventually, the lunch break arrived, after a maiden over by Murtagh. Marshy and Mike, walked back towards the pavillion as we clapped them of. It had been a good session for us, finishing on 88/2.

All the Surrey bowlers had kept it pretty tight, restricting us to quite a slow run-rate. But tbh, we were quite happy with a draw from this match, so all in all it had been a good session for us. I saw that the skip was looking pretty down-cast after another failure with the bat. I went over to have a word with him.

"Hey Tom. Ready to be next in?"

"Yep, raring to go. Look Dave. Bad luck on getting out. I'm sure that you'll make a big score in the next innings."

"Yeah hopefully so. It's a good pitch for batting."

Marshy had just arrived back. I went over to congratulate him, on a fine knock so far. Hopefully he could continue it in the afternoon session. Mike was also quite pleased, and we joked about him and his lucky inside-edge :p

Cricket20052008-08-2022-21-16-66.jpg

Over lunch the atmosphere was very light hearted. We were all joking around, laughing at the pics of Cooky with a thigh pad on his head and how Tom still looked like he had been "Tangoed" It was a cracking lunch as well. The catering staff really out did themselves. I had a jacked potato, with prawns in a marie rose sauce, with a really nice salad, which had avacado, peppers and spring onions in it as well. I personally went downstairs to thank the catering staff, as by the end of lunch, I was really full and very content.

Eventually the umpires turned up and told us it was nearly time for play to resume. Marshy and Mike got all their stuff together and then went out. It was going to be a very important session as the match could go either way at the moment. I was expecting to be called upon though, so I had my helmet and bat near me.

Highlander999 added 15 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

Graham Thorpe!! :eek: What season are you playing in???

Yeah, I am in the process of updating the County Roster, so these sort of situations don't happen

At least it's not a damp pitch, maybe we'll get some decent scores finally! :D

Yeah, I already know what happens (I'm a match ahead at the moment) But I won't say if your right or wrong ;)

WTH!!??

Tom would sweep the entire france team on his own! lol!

Reverse sweep more like :p

Been out a while so just catched up, I can't see you winning this, they have Murtagh in the grey and Mushy later on, still though a hard pitch can do something, just don't expect Cooky to do much in that condition, a bit of extra padding for the shorter ones me thinks, either that or he's trying to start a new trend!!:p:p

Nice to see you back in the story forum :)

See! I am reading it! Make that 3 people :p

I never doubted you, Tom :)

Good to hear! Not a bad start from Glamorgan there - could of been better though especially with Skip making a duck :( I'm expecting big runs from you now Mr.Baker! Goooood luck! :) Fantastic presentation as always :)

Users who are viewing this thread