Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters
What to do?

I quickly threw some clothes on and raced into my car. I fired off a text to the coach saying I had an emergency and would meet him at the ground. He replied that he was already there and would wait for me. I slung the car out of the drive and shot off to the ground. I must say I was impressed at the speed my Punto was able to go when I really floored it. I also made sure the brakes were working when I slammed them on to avoid racing through a speed camera. I wouldn't normally drive that fast, but I wanted to get to the ground quickly.

Eventually I saw the ground appear behind some tall oak trees. I shot in through the main entrance way, skidded and ended up spinning out. However, as there were very few cars in there I just reversed into a space. I went in through the main doors, exchanged a couple of words with Mary, the receptonist, and then went upstairs to the coach's office. He was in there, doing some paper-work:

"Tom, your as white as a sheet. What's the problem?"

My response was to put the letter on the table without a word. As he read it, his expression began to sag as he realised what this meant.

"Hmmm. Well this is certainly interesting. There is no denying that they are offering a lot more money then we are. Remember though we are a constantly improving team, whilst the Redbacks are a failing team. But I think you should make this decision without my influence. There will be one thing though, your wages will be increased to ?55,000 per annum, your obviously a wanted man now ;)"

"To be honest, call it ?50K and I'll be happy. For me, my payment is playing for the club and having the best job in the world. Glamorgan have been really good to me and I want to stick with them for a long time."

"Well that is excellent news Tom. You can pin this up, it is the XI for the LV Championship match vs Surrey. I'll send off your new wages to the accountants to sort out."

I don't know what happened whilst the coach made his speech. However, it struck me how Glamorgan had been for me in my time of need and helped me recover after being shot. I do have a set of morals on life and I was not about to back-stab a team which had treated me this well. I also probably did stand more of a chance being spotted, playing in England.

I looked down at the XI on the piece of paper:

Cricket20052008-08-2022-21-14-15.jpg

That was probably the best XI, Glamorgan could muster. I was pleased to be batting at five. It was a good position so that you always got a good length of time at the crease, but you did not have the pressure of the new ball early on. We did have three spinners playing though :eek: which was quite a big risk, as only myself, Dizzy and Cooky could bowl pace. Hopefully the risk would pay off. With Marshy still in the team, the experience of the skip and Mike, and of course my great skills :p there was a good chance we could post a big score.

I drove home and decided to phone Gemma on the mobile. As I was telling her all about what had happened and the decision made, I noticed a car had pulled along side me.

"Ah cock it!!!"

Just my luck it was the police and they had caught me using my mobile. Looked like I was gonna be getting a fine and 3 points. I pulled up and wound down my window.

"Morning Sir. You do realise it is illegal to drive whilst using a mobile phone?"

"Yeah I do, very sorry officer."

"Can I just take your name."

"Tom Baker"

He glanced back and noticed my Glamorgan kit in the back seat.

"Hang on....Tom Baker? You play for Glamorgan! My wee lad idolises Glamorgan. Your the guy who was shot, I've heard you could play for England."

Yeah hopefully one day. I really love the club. I just received an offer to go to Australia to play cricket there, but I turned it down, even though there was more money in it if I went to Aus. That was why I was on the phone, I was just telling the missus what had happened.

"Hmmm. Ok, how about this? I'll give you a warning, but no fine or points, it's good to see at least one sportsman with morals."

"Thanks a lot for that. You want some tickets for you and your lad?"

"That would be un-professional of me as I am working, but if you could get my lad to have a look around and chat to you guys, that would be good."

"I'll get that arranged. Thanks for your time and letting me off."

"No problem, just get a hands free device."

Wow, that was lucky I thought I was in deep trouble there. I flew back home (within the speed limit this time) I decided I would not tell Gemma that I had been stopped by the police.

She was waiting for me, outside. For some reason Cooky was there as well, that boy always turns up when there is trouble or an incident of some sort. I looked at her face and expected her to be smiling. She wasn't though. I parked up and got out.

"What's wrong and Cooky why are you here?

"I just arrived mate, and found Gemma outside."

Gemma now looked very ill

"Gem's what the hell is wrong?"

"Tom. I think I'm pregnant!!!!"

Oh shit!!!!!! :eek:

Wow it's hotting up here. I can't believe Gemma's pregnant. Is that you're 3rd scare? :p
KUTGW Lol at the last line.

Ha, great twist mate. Still think you should go for the Aussie season in Winter, that way you'll at least have one summer a year :p

Brilliant as always Tom!

He's been shot, gets in fights, has a dead ferret on his head and now he's having a heart attack. Is he worth 50 grand a year? Only joking mate, great update, come on Glamorgan.

You've made the decision so furiously fast. Great blend and twist in the story mate. really, we should make a movie. :D..

KUTVGW Tom mate! you'll represent and take england to the top. :D..

What's that you say?

"Tom...Tom? Are you ok?"

"What.......What happened? Why am I on the floor? Oh Jesus Christ your pregnant!"

"What the hell!!!! No I'm not!!!"

"Eh? You just told me."

"Err.....No I didn't. You tripped up over the cat after getting out the car. You banged your head. Have you been unconscious?"

"Er....Nope :spy Not at all :D"

I was a wee bit confused. I was certain that the conversation with Gemma had taken place. But then again, if I had briefly been knocked out, could I have dreamed it? If it was just some part of my imagination then I was very thankful as I wouldn't be a very good dad. However, if Gemma thought I had knocked myself out, she would insist I go to hospital. I decided in the end to pretend everything was fine and that nothing out of the ordinary had gone on.

It transpired Cooky had just been passing by and had stopped for a quick chat. I told him about the XI being posted for the next match. He leapt on his motor-bike and sped off. Back inside I set about phoning Andrew Sincock to tell him the bad news. He took it well enough and said there would be a place for me at the end of the season if I wanted it. That was pretty damn nice of him and I was very tempted to possibly take him up on that offer and told him as much. However, I would cross that bridge when it came at the end of the season.

For the rest of the day I basically just spent my time relaxing for tomorrow's match. It had been a busy few days for me, but I'm in good shape and my body was holding up ok. Crofty on the other hand was beginning to feel the strain due to all this cricket. He had made his first class debut for Glamorgan before I had even been born!!!! :eek: He was now complaining his back and wrist were hurting from what I got told by Dimi and was no longer certain for the match against Surrey.

Not as young as he once was! ;)
6_0.jpg

For all the banter I did hope that Crofty would be fit to play. He would be crucial in a match against such a quality side as Surrey and we really could not afford to have him missing. Hopefully he would be ok, I knew every Glamorgan fan would be praying so. We wanted to register our first win of the season.

I went to bed pretty early that night. Gemma cooked me up a fabulous meal of Spag Bol and Sticky Toffee pudding to follow. Whilst I watched Newcastle being beaten by Accrington and Stanley :noway Gemma got ready to go out on a hen night as one of her friends was getting married. After Alan Smith was sent off and Accrington scored from the spot to make it 2-0, I decided to head upstairs instead of having to suffer any more.

You should send to the Newcastle manager a email with some tips on coaching - Oh wait, they don't have a full time manager!

On the other hand, keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread