Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters
Lol...so she's not pregnant? Well it was a great match for Accrington Stanley. They just outplayed the Toon. I'm sure the fans will not be happy at all and they'll want a full time manager in charge with the backing of a good chairman (exit Mike Ashley).

Oh...wait...this is a cricket story :p.

You had us all kidded about the pregnancy being real lol. Great work as usual! :D

That Newcastle match will be reality in a couple of years! :p Fantastic storyline as ever! Keep it up! :)

Fancy making a soap opera? :p

I swear there are more posts in this thread about your off-field life then your cricket :D. Nice update Tom :thumbs

Fantastic suspense there! Your a legend at doing these (And throwing fridges out of windows) :p

Great presentation. Keep up the fantastic works! :thumbs

Match Day!!!

BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP (The alarm clock quickly got thrown of the bedside table) I have got to say, I despise being woken up by an alarm clock. It just wakes you up with such a jolt and your never fully with it and end up knocking stuff over as you try and turn it off. I wasn't quite with it yet. As I leant over, I fell straight out of bed and landed on the cricket bat. :noway Very painful indeed. It didn't help that Gemma was laughing her head of now. It wasn't the best start for the day for me, although I'm not much of a morning person. Still, I wasn't particularly in a good mood as I went downstairs.

No post today (so no surprises this morning ;)) The newspaper had been delivered and as I ate my scrambled eggs on toast, I read about Newcastle's woes. If you are actually reading my updates just to prove to me that you are, mention something about possible selection for the England team. It seemed that, half the players wanted to leave Newcastle and the rest were constantly sulking. At least at Glamorgan we didn't have that problem :) We were a very happy club, although today we would be looking for our first win.

After I had cleaned up after breakfast I got all my stuff together. Pads, helmet, box, bat, shoes, whites. Hang on...Where is my thigh pad. I spent ages trying to find it and then Gemma called me to the window. Outside in the back-garden was Cooky. He had my thigh pad strapped over his head, like a hat and was fast asleep :laugh Someone had too much drink last night :p With much pushing and prodding I was able to persuade him to give me my thigh pad back. He wasn't in too much of a bad state and he had his cricket stuff all ready, so I offered him a lift to the ground. He gratefully accepted and I decided to add it to the numerous favours he owed me ;)

At the ground there were quite a few spectators already there and I could tell by the cars that some of the team were here as well. The Surrey coach was also here and I could see them warming up out in the middle. I accidently walked into someone. It was Ramprakash :eek:

"Oh, sorry about that"

"No problems mate. Hey, I know you. Your Tom Baker. Tipped to be a future star I hear ;)"

"Yeah, something like that."

"Well I'll be watching you over the next few days. I don't plan on letting you have my wicket ;) Well good luck."

"Yeah you too."

All this future star crap was such rubbish. I wasn't even the best player for Glamorgan, although I am the best all-rounder (that winds old Crofty up when I say that ;)) I was too busy on taking it one match at a time. I barely had any experience, but I suppose that there weren't that many 18 year olds around playing County Cricket for the 1XI.

In the changing rooms, I got some banter of the lads. I told them about Cooky's thigh pad story :p and showed the pics on my phone. Everyone cracked up and Cooky threw a shoe which missed me but smashed the glass on the vending machine :noway :p It was a good way to prepare for the match in this light hearted frame of mind. It was gonna be a tough match and everyone was nervous so by everyone having a laugh it helped to relax the situation.

I soon noticed that the Surrey XI had already been given to us. I had a quick scan over it and any feelings of relaxation, quickly evaporated. It didn't make for a nice read :noway

Cricket20052008-08-2022-03-05-83.jpg

Graham Thorpe, Mark Butcher, Mark Ramprakash and Saqlain Mushtaq were all playing :( Three top class batsmen and one of the best spinners in the County Championship. It kind of took your breath away. All of a sudden, a hand clamped down on my shoulder. It was the skip.

"Morning Tom. I see you have found the Surrey XI."

"Yeah, it doesn't make for pleasant reading, this is going to be tough."

"Now, now Tom. A piece of paper has never won a cricket match (unless your from the BCCI :rolleyes:) Don't let big names intimidate you. Remember out in the middle anything can happen. You just have got to have confidence in your abilities."

Very wise words from Dave there.

The skip soon left to do the toss. The pitch was very hard, and although it was quite warm and overcast I expected that whoever won the toss would bat first. Butcher correctly called, but decided to bowl first which was a very strange decision. I wasn't complaing though, and neither was Cooky, who could recover from his hang-over in peace :p

Cricket20052008-08-2021-16-44-47.jpg

The changing room descended into a flurry of activity as the openers, Marshy and Gareth, quickly got prepped up. I didn't need to worry too much about getting ready as I was batting at number 5, so could relax until a couple of wickets had fallen. I was pretty confident that our top order could post quite a few runs as it would be a good batting pitch. It would also begin to crack up for the last couple of days helping our spinners, Crofty, Tom and Jamie, so they would be vital in the final innings of this match.

Eventually the openers were ready. I went upstairs to watch from the balcony, whilst those two went out to face the opening bowlers. This was going to be a very interesting match ;)

92 pages of story and its all better than sex.....

love it tommy you just keep getting better and better:happy

Users who are viewing this thread