Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters
Hayden's been a great asset to the team :) Good work as usual Tom :)

Glamorgan Falter
Cricket20052009-01-1612-36-27-22.jpg

The 50 partnership was drawing closer now. I now felt pretty settled in and so had begun to score a lot more freely and was giving myself width to drive and pull the ball. I was surprised that Swann had not been brought into the attack as myself and Matty were feeling pretty comfortable against the pace attack. After I crunched a wide ball from Sidebottom through the covers for 4, I realised the 50 partnership had been brought up. Myself and Matty went down to shake hands. It was a momentus occassion for me. I had dreamed of playing with an International cricketer of his standard and to reach a 50 partnership with him was a very special moment. Although it had started out with him dominating, I had scored a lot of runs quite recently, so in the end the partnership was pretty balanced.

It was a great feeling and with Glamorgan now 93/2, we were in a good position.

Cricket20052009-01-1817-39-38-91cop.jpg

By this stage in the match, Matty was nearing his half-century on debut for Glamorgan. It had been one of the best knocks this season, mature, well paced and full of flare. Sure enough a slightly over-pitched delivery from Adams got the works as it was driven straight back past him. Swann did the fielding at deep mid-on and we jogged through for an easy single. Matty raised his bat up to the couple of thousand spectators as I went down and shook his hand,

"Great knock mate. I can see your one of the legends of the game. Better than that over-rated Tendulkar, aye? :p"

"Ah, he's nothing compared to me ;) Still we gotta keep going. The job is only a third done. We need to keep getting runs."

On the big screen Matty's spider came up. Early on in the innings, Notts had been too full and wide when bowling to him, and it told with a lot of boundaries coming through the covers. Then later on they had started using a defensive field against him so he had just picked up the singles down the ground and on the leg-side. It had been a great knock and with me being so close it was a good example on how to pace an innings.

Cricket20052009-01-1817-42-43-38cop.jpg

No matter how good you play there is always one thing you need when building an innings. Luck. Up until now both of us had been playing good safe cricket and had no real need for it. Matty, however, really did get hit with the bad version of it now.

Francis was brought back into the attack by Read. He had been the most dangerous bowler and myself and Matty decided that we would just focus on making sure he didn't get our wicket in his last two overs.

He did and it wasn't even a good ball :(

Francis dropped it short and on the leg-side. Matty shuffled back and looked to glance it of his hips. The ball swung more than he anticipated and it hit his thigh pad. Read shuffled down leg and took the ball. Francis gave a token appeal, but Read stayed quiet. However, much to my horror, the umpire slowly raised his finger :eek: There was no way this had been out. The ball had missed his bat by inches and you could see the ball had hit his thigh pad. Franics went running off down the pitch to celebrate with Read, while Matty was left to slowly walk back to the pavillion. I went over to the umpire.

"Where abouts in Nottingham is it you come from?"

"Don't start getting lippy with me. It hit the bat."

"It hit the bat? Jesus what bat were you looking at? Or do you mean that you bat for the other side? Wouldn't be surprised, look at you!!! It's a wonder you can contain yourself amongst so many cricketers!!!"

"Right, I am reporting you to the match referee for this."

"Yeah, go running to your bum chum!!!"

Chris Read came over and told me to leave it. Bloody sound guy, Ready is. I was just so annoyed that stupid decisions like this are allowed to happen. I now had a feeling my match fee had shrunk quite alot, especially as we were by the stump mic. Oh well, it was worth it ;)

Cricket20052009-01-1817-45-13-63cop.jpg

Jamie came out to bat next. Jamie had once been playing for England, but he had been unlucky and not really performed when he was given his chance, and it appeared that he would never get it again. He was still a consistent performer with Glamorgan and definetly had the potential to be a captain one day. We still looked in a decent position with only 3 wickets down, but we couldn't afford to lose another one and put pressure on the lower order.

I was now in full flow and looking to take the attack to the Notts bowlers. It was the same situation when I came to the crease earlier on. I was playing the Matty Hayden role and Jamie just had to get himself in. It didn't work that way, unfortunately :(

I personally thought Jamie was a wee bit unlucky here. Mid-on was inside the circle, while there was a straightish deep mid-off. A nothing ball really from Adams got the treatment as Jamie smacked it straight down the ground. As I watched, I could see Ashwell Prince running around, but it looked a certain boundary for me. I was gobsmacked then, when Ashwell Prince threw himself to his right and managed to take the catch one handed. Myself, Jamie and the rest of the fielders looked on in disbelief and then it clicked and the Notts guys started celebrating. How the hell had Prince taken that catch? :eek:

"You are taking the piss?"

"Now that is just crap luck Jamie."

We were now in a spot of bother, as the game had suddenly swung against us with two quick wickets. Mark was the next man in and we would need a captain's knock from him if were to get towards a good score.

Cricket20052009-01-1817-52-35-77cop.jpg

"Bet you weren't expecting this...."

"I didn't even have my fecking pads on."

"It's not too difficult out here. It's ordinary bowling, just we have lost wickets consistently. I think we can make some runs though ;)"

I was just hoping that Mark could hang around with me. I felt in great touch at the moment as was looking to notch up another 50, my first one for Glamorgan. We would need big scores from myself and Mark if we were to post a competitive score and give the bowlers something to work with. Of course that umpire was probably out to get me now (in both senses of the word :D) There was still some batting to come, but it would be pretty unfair on Rich Grant to come into a situation with enough pressure on him as it is. So, we would just have to make sure that we didn't get out.

A useful stat did come up on the big screen. It showed all the averages of the guys to come in next.

Animation1-8.gif

Everyone could hold a bat and had made some big scores. It would mean that hopefully we could do some big hitting in the last 5-10 overs. However, we had to survive till then.....

Umpire is gonna get you now, Tom! Not the best idea to do what footballers do in cricket. Nonetheless you and Matt put on a good partnership and if it wasn't for poor luck and bad umpiring then you would be in a much better position.

Hopefully you can get your maiden 50. Great pres mate, keep it up.

Never mind a fifty Tom. How about a century! :D

The partnership between Hayden and you was brilliant. However Nottingams are top atm but still i would say that Glamorgan have the shout because you are there !! Good update there.

I've had my fair share of talking with the umpire, and trust me, it gets you nothing. Especially when your the bowler. ;)

Keep up the good work.

Great knock by Hayden to set off the innings but poor luck there. Awesome averages thingy.

Loving the new title btw. :D:D:D

This story has a very unique way in maintaining the storyline along with humors and extra stuff that attracts the members very easily though the story forum has gone quiet recently.. Stories like these are the answers to bring back the story forums active again.

Kudos to you Tommy boy :hpraise

Llamas????!!!!! :rolleyes: :noway :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread