Tips For DBC 17 Batting

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
Having trouble seeing the white ball properly red ball is ok.Does anyone have any tips.Have to say in db14 i could hit 6 sixes in an over and now i can't even hit one in an over on the easiest level.Obviously it wasn't ideal that the batting was so easy but now it has gone too much the other way.In a 5 over slogathon i am barely getting 5 runs an over which i can't defend.

D

Dutch

Having trouble seeing the white ball properly red ball is ok.Does anyone have any tips.Have to say in db14 i could hit 6 sixes in an over and now i can't even hit one in an over on the easiest level.Obviously it wasn't ideal that the batting was so easy but now it has gone too much the other way.In a 5 over slogathon i am barely getting 5 runs an over which i can't defend.

Are you using the advanced down the wicket button? Pressing The right stick down before the ball releases?

Ren

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The way I've learned to bat in this is the same way I did in dbc14. Be patient and prepared to let some balls go through to the keeper especially in a one dayer or first class match/test.

I just hit my first double century in a first class match, in about 350 balls. Lots of defending and leaving. Note where your scoring options are and wait for the right ball. Almost every time I get out it's because I see a gap and think "i'll get one or four through there" then try to work the wrong ball into that gap.

Much like real cricket actually.

For T20 it's the opposite. Work everything into gaps and focus on hitting where fielders aren't. Once you've hit a few fours, figure out the gap you want to try hitting over and wait for the right ball to hit your big shot through. You'll get out for a lot of 20's and 30's and also very low scores...but it's t20 so that happens.

thewhiterose

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The way I've learned to bat in this is the same way I did in dbc14. Be patient and prepared to let some balls go through to the keeper especially in a one dayer or first class match/test.

I just hit my first double century in a first class match, in about 350 balls. Lots of defending and leaving. Note where your scoring options are and wait for the right ball. Almost every time I get out it's because I see a gap and think "i'll get one or four through there" then try to work the wrong ball into that gap.

Much like real cricket actually.

For T20 it's the opposite. Work everything into gaps and focus on hitting where fielders aren't. Once you've hit a few fours, figure out the gap you want to try hitting over and wait for the right ball to hit your big shot through. You'll get out for a lot of 20's and 30's and also very low scores...but it's t20 so that happens.

Excellent post!

Important to note that unlike on DBC14, you can score runs off defensive shots, just dropping the ball to the side is as good a way to steal singles as using precision shots.

SimonC4

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
New Zealand
For me it comes down to: Preparation -> Execution -> Analysis

Preparation
  1. Know the pitch conditions. They are subtly different, but enough to matter.
  2. Know the match situation. Have you got time to get yourself in?
  3. Know your batter's current situation, i.e. stamina and confidence. It's hard to hit big shots if your stamina is low. It's easier to bat when your confidence is high.
  4. Know your batter's strength and weaknesses. Especially in career mode, you should know what shots your batter has higher skills in.
  5. Know where the fielders are. E.g. do you want to place your cut shot in front of, or behind point?
  6. Know how you want to play each possible type of delivery. Before the ball is bowled, you should have a good idea of what you are going to do.
Execution
There's lots of good tips and tutorial videos already on this site, so I won't go in to this other than to say play each ball on it's merits. E.g. Don't try and hit a ball wide outside off down to mid on.

Analysis
Can you learn anything from that shot? Did you execute the shot how you wanted? Would you play that shot again?

grkrama

National Board President
Can you learn anything from that shot? Did you execute the shot how you wanted? Would you play that shot again?
this helps a lot, at first when you edge a lot it is easy to get frustrated especially when the feedback green lights everything, once you replay and analyse you can see why you have edged it, you are either too close or too away form the ball, misjudged the length, cramped for room etc. It would be help full if replays showed Hot spot when we edge it.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
this helps a lot, at first when you edge a lot it is easy to get frustrated especially when the feedback green lights everything, once you replay and analyse you can see why you have edged it, you are either too close or too away form the ball, misjudged the length, cramped for room etc. It would be help full if replays showed Hot spot when we edge it.
^This..

Ren

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Here's a case to back up my post above:

Selected for 7 match 1 day series against Pakistan, batting at #2.

Match 1: Flat pitch, chasing 197 target. Scored 50 in 42 balls, started slogging, 122 not out (century on ODI debut!). Won by 9 wickets.

Matches 2-6: Frustrated. Scores include a 2nd ball duck, and nothing over 15 runs. 2 innings caught by a man on the edge of the circle, the other three edged to keeper or slips. Gave up and turned the game off.

Thinking about this later in the evening: matches 2-6 I never even looked at the pitch report or weather. The first game seemed easy so I assumed I could just muscle everything wherever I want. When I wasn't hitting the first ball or two for four (regardless of what they bowled) I just mashed the attack button or pre-selected an area to hit, then wondered why I was out cheap.

Game 7: Batting first on a green deck, overcast day. Took my time, defended good balls, kept an eye on the field but hit the ball on its merits. Lost 2 partners quickly, so tightened up and rebuilt the innings. When I mis-timed or played and missed, watched the replay and found flaws. Hit 64 in 88 balls before being caught top edging a pull. We defended 220, it was not a batting pitch.

The lesson: I believe for my play style and skill, my theory is right. It's not an arcade game, it's a cricket sim. If you play smart and concentrate, the game rewards you. If you think the game is about hitting big scores every innings, go buy Shane Warne Cricket '97 (or whatever it was called).

I hope you learn from my fail!

D

Dutch

Here's a case to back up my post above:

It's not an arcade game, it's a cricket sim. If you play smart and concentrate, the game rewards you. If you think the game is about hitting big scores every innings, go buy Shane Warne Cricket '97 (or whatever it was called).

I hope you learn from my fail!

Sticky this: on the forums, on your head, on your TV or monitor, on the cat, on your mother, on the fridge, on Donald Trump's left buttock...everywhere.......best post in ages on these forums.....

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Wouldn't mind stickying it to my neighours buttocks!!! Mind you I wouldn't need much of an excuse...anything that would stick really :yes

Last edited:

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I never even looked at the pitch report or weather.
Made this mistake at start of career with DBC 14 in mind, but in this its really important and thats what states the approach in bowling I am gonna have and even batting...Its just too much depth in there..

Bluebagger

International Coach
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
In test matches: drive the blue and yellow deliveries, defend the green, hook with power the red ones outside leg and at the body, leave anything within half a bat length of the body at red circle and cut anything a bat length outside off on red circle.

Users who are viewing this thread