Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bit of both

• Neither

• Total voters

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
For anyone following this row it started when CMJ accused Test Match Sofa of being predators who deserved to be nailed. Andrew Miller, the editor of the Cricketer magazine who now own the Sofa, responded in an article with Patrick Kidd by saying that TMS was elitist and Johnners and John Arlott wouldn't get on the programme in this day and age (no links as all behind Tmes paywall).
Agnew then responded by pronouncing himself sickened by Miller's comments and cancelling his subscription to the Cricketer (which I thought he already did last year).
Anyway I will link to Patrick Kidd's follow-up article as a decent summary of events.

The question for members is are you a Sofa addict (like AngryAngy), a TMS stalwart or, like me, listen to both depending on mood and who's commentating.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
been following the action on twitter, agnew has made a right arse of himself.

I think Dan Norcross is right when he says that Aggers and CMJ simply don't understand the issue. The sofa isn't a competitor per se. Agnew does have a tendency to make an arse of himself on twitter though.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The question for members is are you a Sofa addict (like AngryAngy), a TMS stalwart or, like me, listen to both depending on mood and who's commentating.

TMS for me. But admittedly although i've heard of sofa for a while, but i've never listened to it.

But this guy on cricinfo also wrote an interesting article about radio coverage, which had me thinking since i didn't realize such a beef was going on:

The Cricket Sadist Hour | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
This seems to be the key quote from that article:

They could even just open the gates. Radio rights are worth a fraction of TV rights, so why not give them away to any radio stations that want to use them. Rather than think of it as losing money, they could think of it as money being spent on promoting cricket.

I'm sure the Sofa are loving the controversy. No such thing as bad publicity (most of the time anyway!).

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Listened to the Sofa a few times - has it's moments, and I support the general idea of it. But it's crap for Aussies cause they hate all Aussie players :p They tend to get sidetracked pretty easy too, and I find it less interesting than Kerry O'Keefe getting sidetracked for example.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Meh, I either watch it live, watch it later, or don't watch it at all. Can't be bothered with just audio and I prefer the TV commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread