Unpopular Cricket Opinions - T20WC Edition

Now where's the crying, wheezing, throwing up emoji
gross-vomit.gif

Great thread. Let me add my own spicy takes.

• Kallis is a massively overrated all-rounder in tests which is utterly contrary to popular opinion and comparisons between him and Ohtani in baseball are so off the mark that they make me laugh. I’d normally just run with him being overrated with the ball alone but eh, this is the spicy takes thread and I’m sticking with mine.

• Chanderpaul’s selfish batting and reluctance to move higher up the order means he is another overrated test batter to me but this is one I’ve already said a lot about I guess.

• Dhoni should have retired from international cricket by 2016 but instead stayed on to the detriment of the Indian team and was arguably one of the worst keeper batters in international white ball cricket among full members.

• Cricket suffers a lot due to nostalgia merchants overrating past cricketers and dismissing any current ones due to a certain perceived flaw. Many cricketers from the past would struggle in the modern game and this includes certain names that would be considered legends too. I do think someone like Viv or Bradman would be the exceptions to this rule just because of how good they were but the vast majority of them are going to suffer simply because modern cricket is of a much higher standard.

Will add more soon. :p

That is a popular opinion though.

He is being disliked all across India, I remember people in office, streets everywhere you go no one ever speaks good about him.

Imagine being disliked in your own state even. Ashwin’s got a bit of an ego (and I’m severely underplaying it) but he’s pretty much the darling for most of us here.

Cricket suffers a lot due to nostalgia merchants overrating past cricketers and dismissing any current ones due to a certain perceived flaw. Many cricketers from the past would struggle in the modern game and this includes certain names that would be considered legends too. I do think someone like Viv or Bradman would be the exceptions to this rule just because of how good they were but the vast majority of them are going to suffer simply because modern cricket is of a much higher standard.
This is a good point. Particularly around the standard. It's a professional sport now and it's arguably only been that way since the 1990s, particularly in terms of fitness levels and those sort of standards.

People are constantly trying to find ways to discredit current players compared with those they saw when they were young or those they've never watched.
I read that in Ravi Shastri's voice ngl
I used to do a decent Ravi Shastri impression.

Imagine being disliked in your own state even. Ashwin’s got a bit of an ego (and I’m severely underplaying it) but he’s pretty much the darling for most of us here.
Yeah even yesterday I went out after first innings to eat and peeps where discussing how KL Rahul should be sidelined and it's better to have Ishan instead of him in the playing XI for the world Cup.

Great thread. Let me add my own spicy takes.

• Kallis is a massively overrated all-rounder in tests which is utterly contrary to popular opinion and comparisons between him and Ohtani in baseball are so off the mark that they make me laugh. I’d normally just run with him being overrated with the ball alone but eh, this is the spicy takes thread and I’m sticking with mine.

• Chanderpaul’s selfish batting and reluctance to move higher up the order means he is another overrated test batter to me but this is one I’ve already said a lot about I guess.

• Dhoni should have retired from international cricket by 2016 but instead stayed on to the detriment of the Indian team and was arguably one of the worst keeper batters in international white ball cricket among full members.

• Cricket suffers a lot due to nostalgia merchants overrating past cricketers and dismissing any current ones due to a certain perceived flaw. Many cricketers from the past would struggle in the modern game and this includes certain names that would be considered legends too. I do think someone like Viv or Bradman would be the exceptions to this rule just because of how good they were but the vast majority of them are going to suffer simply because modern cricket is of a much higher standard.

Will add more soon. :p

@Bevab been waiting for this question to come up! Coming through with the heat hahah

I feel the exclusion of Pakistan from the IPL and the "need" for some teams to have 4 overseas in their line-up, has allowed extremely mediocre players to become a millionaire for the sake of it. (e.g. Daniel Sams)

I also feel IPL has almost lost in being an extravaganza event and the purpose to develop Indian talent has fallen away. With more teams, the schedule gets longer and the teams are watered down with mediocrity - every team now has at least a bowler or two that is not up to the standard. The money is coming in every year so why would BCCI and the teams complain.

I'll be honest, I did not expect so many actually unpopular takes that I find myself agreeing with.

Cricket suffers a lot due to nostalgia merchants overrating past cricketers and dismissing any current ones due to a certain perceived flaw. Many cricketers from the past would struggle in the modern game and this includes certain names that would be considered legends too. I do think someone like Viv or Bradman would be the exceptions to this rule just because of how good they were but the vast majority of them are going to suffer simply because modern cricket is of a much higher standard.
That's a very good point. Agreed.

International T20Is should be abolished, apart from World Cups.
I think Test cricket should be Abolished, T20 gives minor teams more chance to play with the big teams and made cricket a richer sport.
2024 T20 world cup will have 20 teams, which will be amazing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread