Unpopular Cricket Opinions - T20WC Edition

Three words for one English word? Urdu is very inefficient. Tbf "jaa" alone means "go" too. Tu jaa be is more like "you go too".
Because @CerealKiller is a parchi and couldn't translate the emotions.

You must have thought parchi thing must have died down.
Post automatically merged:

What other major sports try to maintain three formats
Because all the sports are inferior to cricket. That's why cricket is mega supreme sport.

I don't buy the "BCCI bullying and abuse of power is justified because they generate the most ICC revenue" argument.
BCCI generates the revenue by playing other international teams, not by having India A play India B and IPL's value is based on having all world class international players in it (except Pakistan players), otherwise it would just be a franchised Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy. Thus, the revenue it generates from its market has a big contribution by other international teams, and their political shenanigans are completely unjustified.

I don't think this is an unpopular opinion among most people that arent online India fanboys...heck even the online media Indian fanboys started calling out the BCCI after the recent final and used terms like "pitch tampering" LOL

The BCCI are ridiculous though.

The 'Playoff' structure in the IPL seems to be contributing to Indian losses over the years in KO games. I think they introduced the playoffs around 2012- post that India only won the 2013 CT and lost all other KO games.

I feel this lack of intensity OR the fact that such games provide a 2nd chance is what affects us Indians. There's no sudden death scenario and no fear-cause teams losing the semi-final get another chance to set things straight.

The 'Playoff' structure in the IPL seems to be contributing to Indian losses over the years in KO games. I think they introduced the playoffs around 2012- post that India only won the 2013 CT and lost all other KO games.

I feel this lack of intensity OR the fact that such games provide a 2nd chance is what affects us Indians. There's no sudden death scenario and no fear-cause teams losing the semi-final get another chance to set things straight.
I think you are over thinking it

My likely hugely unpopular opinion is that T20 is a hugely overrated format and should be restricted to domestic leagues and exhibition events. It’s created a bunch of one dimensional cricketers over the last decade. We are seeing fewer and fewer classic stylish batsmen, the likes of say VVS Laxman. I also think we need a revival of a Golden era of genuine Test all rounders.

I would like to see more Test cricket and ODI restricted to trilateral, multilateral and ICC tournaments. Possibly reduce ODIs to 40 overs a side.

I think you are over thinking it
Really? I don't think so. Other nations seem to do far better than us in KO.

My likely hugely unpopular opinion is that T20 is a hugely overrated format and should be restricted to domestic leagues and exhibition events. It’s created a bunch of one dimensional cricketers over the last decade. We are seeing fewer and fewer classic stylish batsmen, the likes of say VVS Laxman. I also think we need a revival of a Golden era of genuine Test all rounders.

I would like to see more Test cricket and ODI restricted to trilateral, multilateral and ICC tournaments. Possibly reduce ODIs to 40 overs a side.

True that!

Test cricket remains a challenge- I feel in the near future, they will be played among the top nations only. Full membership would probably mean playing ODIs and not Test matches. 40 overs cricket is something that I can see happening by either 2027/ 2031 World Cups. Then again, the question of the existence of T20 will arise, cause as a format it hasn't been quick at all. When in started in 2005, there was a promise to finish off games within 3-3.5 hours. Today, these games can last longer than that. I expect T10 to be the next big thing by 2030s.

As if there aren't any one dimensional players suited for Test cricket

It has more to do with the fact that cross-format excellence is becoming increasingly difficult to accomplish. Very few active batters have great career records in all three formats and I’m willing to bet that even fewer were in form across the three formats at the same time for an extended period of time.

Reducing ODIs further is silly.

You're T20 opinion is not unpopular at all, in fact its something many cricket fans and pundits have talked about for years.

I much prefer good, competitive ODI cricket and it complements tests perfectly and produces more well rounded cricketers, in particular it can help set the stage for test calibre all rounders.

Nah.

The IPL as a whole is not a serious enough tournament and doesn’t really teach pressure handling. Almost no overseas player takes it seriously, most of the established Indian players don’t take it seriously either. The only reason why it’s drummed up as an exercise in pressure management at the highest level by commentators and certain prominent voices is because they don’t want the wider audience to see the façade.

And yes, that is my latest unpopular opinion.

It has more to do with the fact that cross-format excellence is becoming increasingly difficult to accomplish. Very few active batters have great career records in all three formats and I’m willing to bet that even fewer were in form across the three formats at the same time for an extended period of time.

the same goes for bowlers tbh.

Starc, one of my all time faves, is a great LO bowler but not a test great.

It's what makes the work from the like of Kagiso over an extended period of time so special.
Post automatically merged:

Nah.

The IPL as a whole is not a serious enough tournament and doesn’t really teach pressure handling. Almost no overseas player takes it seriously, most of the established Indian players don’t take it seriously either. The only reason why it’s drummed up as an exercise in pressure management at the highest level by commentators and certain prominent voices is because they don’t want the wider audience to see the façade.

And yes, that is my latest unpopular opinion.

Again not so unpopular....I remember KP and Freddy getting into trouble for saying something similar though LOL

So watch out for the indian trolls my friend!

the same goes for bowlers tbh.

It's what makes the work from the like of Kagiso over an extended period of time so special.

It does apply to bowlers too but not the same extent since every international side has at least one bowler who would be good in each of the three formats, might have to do with skills for bowling being easier to transfer across formats.

Think someone did the numbers on this a year ago and found out that de Kock, Babar, Kohli and Tamim were the only ones who had a claim to being good in all three formats.

ODIs are without a doubt his best format, but I'd say T20I Starc vs Test Starc is far from a closed case. He has had hot streaks and bad patches in both.

Think someone did the numbers on this a year ago and found out that de Kock, Babar, Kohli and Tamim were the only ones who had a claim to being good in all three formats.
This is only current players right? Otherwise there's ABD

Users who are viewing this thread