Story Warwickshire CCC - Time to turn things around

Aussie Team

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
ilD80O.png

On the morning of August 3, the members of the Warwickshire CCC headed to the Edgbaston to prepare the county cricket summer. Right from the moment the members entered the well-prepared room, they turned out to 'hear what all the fuss is about.' With the help the ECB, some people were beginning to come out of hiding, and were excited, asking question after question what's new about the upcoming summer. At first we discussed some ideas, we tried to think outside the box, we wondered who we knew who could spend a fortune. In the end we decided that the best way to make a difference was - exactly we'd been advised - to get as many people to our club. And so we drew up a list of tasks that we could all take part in and which would benefit the club. We e-mailed, Twittered and phoned round, thinking we'd struggle to rouse the troops.

As it was, one of the member (Andrew) came freely, to manage the club. An hour later and I had made my way into the room and was tucking, spread the laid on for me. "We are delighted that we have secured such a lucrative contract with Andrew and we wish all the members taking part a very successful summer." - Ed McCabe. Tonight I shall be attending Warwickshire weekly committee meeting and I shall be back soon to report on progress as we enter the most important stage of the event.

Upcoming Matches

April 2011

LV = County Cricket Championship

9-11: (UNI) Durham UCCE v Warwickshire at Emirates Durham ICG
14-17: Somerset v Warwickshire at Taunton
20-23: Worcestershire v Warwickshire at New Road
26-29: Durham v Warwickshire at Emirates Durham ICG

Clydesdale Bank 40

24 April: Hampshire v Warwickshire at The Rose Bowl

Aussie Team

Panel of Selectors
ilD80O.png

Our first job was to gather support for the project not only from the club but also from our local community. We arranged our meeting with Nick Archer from the WCB at Selly Oak. The meeting continues on an unofficial basis for another half an hour over,

when Andy Wyles asks: "Lets sign McCullum for T20."

Chris Armstrong, WCB inspiration man, replies: "Are you sure?" Just as we think he managed a late agreement he added: "I'm feeling kinda loyal about it, I'll let you know later." However, Andy Wyles in auction picked McCullum up.

"We are delighted to have signed a player of Brendon's quality and we think he will be especially suited to the Twenty20 format" - Mark Evenson. The New Zealand wicket-keeping batsman had already gained a great knowledge, continued to produce stand-out performances during his spell and averaged 58. "This is great news for me as it gives me a platform to do what I do best." - McCullum.

Brendon McCullum stats:

T20: 20 matches ; 448 runs ; 59* highest score ; 119.14 strike rate ; 2 fifties

Meanwhile Nel was among those expecting an avalanche of wickets; past results at Centurion and the Benoni, the effect of thinner air at altitude, and the growing imbalance of bowl pointed to a competition in which bowlers would thrive. We have awarded bowler Andre Nel a two-year contract, approved a nearly ?36,000.

Andre Nel stats

FC: 7 matches ; 21 wickets ; 4/68 best innings bowling ; 31.95 average
OD: 8 matches ; 13 wickets ; 3/29 best innings bowling ; 25.15 average

Phew, after a four-hour meeting, we hope that a vast amount of planning is now more concrete. So that leaves two weeks and 12 hours 'til kick-off. Yikes.

Last edited:

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
McCullum is a fantastic signup. He is one of the most destructive batsmen around a good wicket keeper too. That adds a great balance to the side.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Nice start mate, looking forward to this story. The writing is pretty good and so is the presentation. Keep it up! :)

Aussie Team

Panel of Selectors
ilD80O.png

il7mxu.png

We named the 28-man squad for the county cricket and we have announced the appointment of Jim Troughton as captain of the club in succession to Ian Westwood. Westwood revealed at the end of the season that he no longer wished to be considered for the captaincy in all the forms of cricket. "It wasn't easy for him but he's a really strong character and nothing has highlighted being captain." - Giles. We sit here thinking about our experiences both on and off the field, our opportunities both as cricketers and as people and our challenges.

Well, the players completed final preparations this morning, and the focus of the camp has changed now we're mainly worked on our individual preparation. "We are very good at planning for a campaign and the players are aware of their roles and we could make more of any impact." - Captain Jim Troughton. Ashley Giles got our ideas on which of the players will be spotted in there first and he keeps the updated as to who gets caught. The event is becoming a real focus for the start of the season.

It's going to be a brilliant and I'll be back to let you know what's going on, so watch this space!

ilBUva.png

ilBW3i.png

il7584.png

il7Efa.png

ilB2Du.png

Prats

International Coach
Nice squad really. I'm becoming a fan of your presentation AT. Simply Stunning! :thumbs

I'll be surely following this from now.

Aussie Team

Panel of Selectors
ilwBVk.png

Testing times
August 10, 2011

ijkrR4.png

William Porterfield strikes out on his way to an unbeaten 160

Our first match was against the Durham UCCE at Emirates Durham ICG. The day started well, winning the toss and electing to bat. It was a worn wicket and a slow outfield, so it was an important toss to win. We made healthy initial progress without loss, Porterfield and Westwood, who made 38 and 36 respectively, extending the fluent opening alliance to 78 in 22 overs, but some tight bowling from Andy Harkness in the middle of the innings tied us down. Ian Westwood exit came shortly after the drinks break, when adjudged lbw to a Harkness inswinger, which may have gone on to miss leg stump. We were in a positive position as Porterfield had to get his head down and survive. The batters got starts on quite a slow wicket. We were set up nicely on 104 for 1 at lunch with Porterfield in on 50. All arrive at lunch break as they can smell a spare cucumber sandwich and a free cup of tea from well behind the sight screens.

We at 104 for 1 ; William Porterfield 50* ; Jonathan Trott 47*

Porterfield's resistance may only have delayed the inevitable, after a sketchy start, the Irish-born opening batsman went on to make 100 from 167 balls and put on 122 with Jonothan Trott, who completed his half-century. Trott batted with a sensible mix of watchful defence and selective aggression. From there on, Porterfield held up the Durham UCCE bowlers on a lively pitch. He and Trott built up a position of strength in a second-wicket stand of 144 came at tea. Putting on 72 for the first wicket, started strongly and set the tone for the innings. A great all-round team performance including a fantastic partnership of 144 between William Porterfield and Jonathan Trott in the middle of innings really put the in a commanding position, finishing on 219 for one at the interval.

We at 209 for 1 ; William Porterfield 104* ; Jonathan Trott 87*

Porterfield played some eye-catching shots in hitting 18 fours and a six. Tortt reached 100 from 182 balls while Porterfield, who made 100 early, ensured he reached another milestone around in two hours, having hit 20 fours and a six. They extended their second-wicket partnership, worth 144 earlier, to 238 - was beaten several times when Durham UCCE took the new ball and offered chances on 81, 105 and 160, all to Stuart Garforth at slip. But Porterfield followed for the same score when he got a leading edge to Anthony Legg accepted the catch running around from third man. Soon after Jonathan Trott had made 108, misjudging line of a delivery from Anthony Legg to be plumb lbw shouldering arms. There was an element of repetitiveness to the early passages of play as the batsmen weathered disciplined spells from Raymond Adler and Glenn Williamson, began to pick off the loose deliveries and worked the ball into the gaps for boundaries. Troughton drove Glenn Williamson through the covers in glorious fashion to take us to 390 and he completed the 32nd FC half-century of his career from just 46 balls with a late cut to the boundary off the same bowler. Possibility that Troughton may delacre in arrears, in hope that we can bowl Durham UCCE out cheaply.

We at 390 for 3 dec ; Jim Troughton 51* ; Ian Bell 22*

ilB2Du.png

Aussie Team

Panel of Selectors
ibvxPdbIn.png

Back to the day job
August 13, 2011

ic6axEal5.jpg

Woakes removed four Durham batsmen to set up an innings triumph

Play began at 10.30 am and, in the fifth over and the Durham UCCE started their reply very well, it was then a case of putting the ball in the right place and we got three early wickets. Nel and Clarke where quality. They just did what they always does, bowling straight, building up pressure and forcing the batsmen into mistakes. Stuart Garforth worked two short balls from right-armer Andre Nel to the midwicket boundary with well-timed shots, and made a capable 62 in a little over three hours. Having looked comfortable at 62 for none, Garforth assemble confidence with three consecutive boundaries off Nel, three overs later Vic Newlands fell for 29 from 47 balls when being held lbw on the crease, beaten by a modicum of swing from Chris Woakes. A morning session that yielded three top-order wickets, one of which fell to Woakes, followed by Andre Nel's in swinging delivery trapped John Farr leg before wicket for one and Joseph Birch played the ball impeccably late, his hands never far from his body, edged to Jonathan Trott at third slip off Andre Nel. Durham UCCE suffered a another blow, there was enough time for Rikki Clarke to claim an important breakthrough when he dismissed Dominic Ricketts for 22 off 23, soon after Rikki Clarke bowled Andy Harkness leg stump for golden duck.

Durham UCCE at 124 for 5 ; Stuart Garforth 63* ; Anthony Legg 4*

The Durham resumed on 124 for 5 with Garforth playing a lone hand in the evening while wickets tumbled around him as the bowlers got the ball to swing under the cloud over. Half the side had gone for 124 when Anthony Legg was lbw to a yorker from Chris Woakes for 30 from 45 deliveries. Garforth looked in the slightest trouble in reaching 100, departed when he edged a delivery from Rikki Clarke into the hands of second slip William Porterfield made 90 off 132 balls. The Durham UCCE went into the drinks break as three wickets fell in quick succession - Jack Clarke was caught and bowled by Chris Woakes for two, while Fred Binden throwing the kitchen sink at a delivery from Woakes and Rikki Clarke picked up the wicket of Raymond Adler four balls later was caught at gully by Porterfield, Durham looked destined to follow on.

Durham UCCE 180 all out

The captain Jim Thoughton forced Durham UCCE to follow on, the side went 54 for two trailing by 151 runs. A couple of rash strokes placed them firmly on the back foot. The opening pair batted an hour putting on 43 before Vic Newlands was bowled in the nineth over by one cut back from Boyd Rankin and then he had John Farr caught behind. After tea Joseph Brich was lbw to Rankin. Only two runs had been added when Dominic Ricketts was caught off Trott at cover for duck and a poor misjudgment by Andy Harkness which made him caught behind off Ambrose from the bowling of Rankin. Garforth was particularly severe on anything even slightly short as he moved confidently to a half-century off 67 balls. Eventually, the cut was his undoing as he failed to keep the ball down and was caught at point by Rikki Clarke to leave his side at 141 for 7. Anthony Legg made an aggressive knock of 33 from 48 balls before Andre Nel and Miller brought the innings to a close by bowling he and Jack Clarke for 33 and 10 respectively. Woakes took a wicket, while Boyd Rankin end their innings in ignominy - taking 5 for 40.

Second innings: Durham UCCE 156 all out

Match summary ; Durham UCCE I innings ; Durham UCCE II innings ; Other scores

ilB2Du.png

The Rock

County Cricketer
Helluva presentation and a nice write-up too. KIU mate. And it was good to see Trott chip in here too.

LOL I dont have much knowledge about English county teams. This story will really help me with it.

Last edited:

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
The start couldn't have been better! Excellent knock by Porterfield. Warwickshire are off to a flier here. I like the write-up.

Users who are viewing this thread