Way too many edges - post patch

Can people confirm the below for less/more edge frequency.
  • Classic/standard controls
  • Batting difficulty
  • Test/ODI/T20
  • Modifier on/off
I tried batting on Test and it was definitely difficult to bat on in comparison to T20. Lost of edges compared to T20. And I als hear difference classic vs standard. I bat on standard and did get a lot is edges in One test innings. Hard difficulty.
Playing with standard controls on hard veteran difficulty on soft crumbly pitch. Able to successfully face pace bowling for 19 overs. Now hv to play the spinners.
IMG_ebc73878-429a-495a-a997-3527ff2ee4c8.png

Holy cow. Just played another test. 47 for 7 wickets. Edges all over the place. I’m on hard, all modifiers on 50. Playing test. This is 37 overs in with old ball and on a soft pitch! It’s crazy hard![DOUBLEPOST=1528663070][/DOUBLEPOST]I play with classic controls, try that

Holy cow. Just played another test. 47 for 7 wickets. Edges all over the place. I’m on hard, all modifiers on 50. Playing test. This is 37 overs in with old ball and on a soft pitch! It’s crazy hard![DOUBLEPOST=1528663070][/DOUBLEPOST]I play with classic controls, try that
Time to go medium

Try setting the feet placement slider to 10 or something and timing to 40 and you won't edge at all even on hardest. Stop moaning about something which can be self fix by either getting gud at the game or using sliders.[DOUBLEPOST=1528673615][/DOUBLEPOST]Hopefully BAS are not taking this thread seriously otherwise they're gonna ruin the perfect balance of batting.

Playing with standard controls on hard veteran difficulty on soft crumbly pitch. Able to successfully face pace bowling for 19 overs. Now hv to play the spinners.
View attachment 210308
@Mohammed Sherry
IMG_ae1f02c9-2ec6-4317-8842-2bc04280e61a.png
Score 181-6 @ Tea...
I m loving this patch....:)
3 batsman got out due to edges in 4 overs from spinners just before lunch. Actually i lost focus at that time as i was talking to my wife while playing.You have to focus really well just like a real test match... Otherwise you will mistime and will get out soon.

Update:

Ended day with score 261-9
IMG_f48b88cb-8121-44c1-a394-2730d6b0f8ae.png
The only thing i didnt like for test matches is well timed shots are going too fast to the boundary. i will try reducing the shot force to 40 or 30 for next matches.

Last edited:
I have been getting edges on Good length deliveries (green marker) and on Ok timing. This is on hard batting. And the same happened with two of my well settled batsman (fully confident).
I'm not complaining but still feels the balance is missing somewhere. I will try to play and find out, but GOW is pretty hard to keep down and hence lesser play time with Ashes.

Classic controls.
Medium difficulty.
T20.
Modifier ON

Green wicket. Openers scored well (40 partnership). Hitting a few boundaries. Then a batting collapse. Couldn't hit a boundary/running singles and two's. Lost 5 batsmen to catches behind within 4 overs! I think they were all playing a kinda off drive/cover drive to balls that were green halo......but in retrospect could have been pitching on the shorter side of "good length". Pitching outside off stump.

Spent the last few overs scrambling ones and twos only going for shots onthe legside. Won a low scoring T20 game (98 runs total) with 10 ball to spare.

Classic controls.
Medium difficulty.
T20.
Modifier ON

Green wicket. Openers scored well (40 partnership). Hitting a few boundaries. Then a batting collapse. Couldn't hit a boundary/running singles and two's. Lost 5 batsmen to catches behind within 4 overs! I think they were all playing a kinda off drive/cover drive to balls that were green halo......but in retrospect could have been pitching on the shorter side of "good length". Pitching outside off stump.

Spent the last few overs scrambling ones and twos only going for shots onthe legside. Won a low scoring T20 game (98 runs total) with 10 ball to spare.
Fine it's a kinda realistic game . I am playing test and Odi's on greentops mostly and enjoying batting . I am in the Ashes 300+ hours and prior to this update never felt happy with routine Arcade type batting . Even though i had wrong foot work and timing , never nicked behind but was able to hit for few runs. Now i must be careful and leave few balls then defend few until gets green confidence . After getting green also i must focus on the line of the delivery to stay at the crease. Pretty realistic thank you .
Ps : leaving the outside off stump deliveries to avoid harm with edges

I have been getting edges on Good length deliveries (green marker) and on Ok timing. This is on hard batting. And the same happened with two of my well settled batsman (fully confident).
I'm not complaining but still feels the balance is missing somewhere. I will try to play and find out, but GOW is pretty hard to keep down and hence lesser play time with Ashes.
Wrong timing bud.
Now is the time to play Ashes.

Wrong timing bud.
Now is the time to play Ashes.
Almost 80% done into the game.Will be back after next weekend. Btw FIFA world cup update isn't bad either. The amount of detailing in FIFA is amazing. Commentary, stats and crowd is superb. Haven't played much football games before this.

I have been getting edges on Good length deliveries (green marker) and on Ok timing. This is on hard batting.

If you drive at good length deliveries it only needs a little bit of a deviation to get a nick. That's literally why it's called "good length".

Ok timing represents a so-so shot. Not bad, but not especially good. If you can't nick good length deliveries with so-so timing then I wouldn't consider that "hard", personally.

If you drive at good length deliveries it only needs a little bit of a deviation to get a nick. That's literally why it's called "good length".

Ok timing represents a so-so shot. Not bad, but not especially good. If you can't nick good length deliveries with so-so timing then I wouldn't consider that "hard", personally.
So why no edges on full lenghts. And why not on early? Again I'm not complaining, but the balance does feel wrong somewhere. Once again, I haven't played much, so not really sure about what is actually wrong.

And I'm not saying it should not happen. I was staying what is happening to me. Not necessarily right or wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
So why no edges on full lenghts.

Really? You need me to explain that?

Ok, well when the ball is full it hasn't got as far to travel after bouncing, so it's much harder to produce the 2.5 inches of movement you need to take an edge from a shot played on the original line. That's just how batting works. You have to play a much worse shot to edge a half volley than to edge good length.

Another factor is that being able to spot genuine drive balls is possibly the single most important skill in irl batting, so the game has to reward you for getting that right. If there isn't enough of a difference between the edginess of good length vs full then the ability to pick out the drive balls becomes irrelevant.

As it is, you can manage the risk of good length driving with good footwork / timing OR you can manage the risk by using your ability to spot the drive balls. For me, that seems like a pretty fair and sensible handling of a complex set of issues.

And why not on early?

Because early timing doesn't actually tend to generate edges irl. You're more likely to generate other sorts of bad contact with early timing.

To be totally accurate, edges don't really happen irl from timing mistakes but rather from playing the wrong line. There's no precise control of the bat in this control system though so moderate timing mistakes are more like a rough representation of "wrong line, ok timing" in these cases, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread