Wealeys slider and skills playtest! OP updated with sliders!!

Interesting to see even on amateur the AI do bat better when faced with a scenario or score!

It was like I was playing on a much higher difficulty level. They were playing and missing a lot more, but never found the edge. I actually felt like I was watching England give away a test match. The sense of relief when the final wicket fell was immense!

Don't know about you guys but I love how the AI are happy to rock
Back and defend on the back foot this year as well!

Slider combo is so key. But it's going to be different for very Pitch that's the key.

The ideal setting on a hard pitch won't necessarily be the same for a slow pitch

In all fairness the auto save is a god send, mainly as if you can be bothered you can restart from the previous over if you don't want those 'cheap wickets'

Is there anything anyone wants me to test after this test match!?

Yes, can you make a guy who plods along at a strike rate of 60 and a guy who creams the ball and has a strike rate of 110? (when you bowl at them) If so, show me how you did it.

I'm having a good AI v AI test, ignoring the soft dismissals (except for the first ball of the over, they're allowed to get themselves out occasionally).
England 215-4, Cook 69 (94), Jennings 123 (152).

A bug I have found that is annoying me is when they just will not bowl a spinner, despite the pitch demanding it and two decent spinners being available.

I'm still in love with my bowling performance two (?) days ago. Can't believe how good it was (thinking of those Tahir dismissals put a smile on my face). I just wish I was streaming it so everyone could have seen. Felt like Shane Warne when I was talking through my plan to get Stokes and Dawson out only for it to work perfectly! Finally was able to out-think batsmen and my word that stumping from de Kock was the best thing I've ever seen. Sadly I have people over so I can't continue it (was on about 50-0 until a glitchy run out made Cook depart for 11).

I've created a generic team that all have conservative or precise mentalities with 100 for defensive and 10 for attacking, highish ratings for drives, glances and sweeps and low for cuts, pulls and special shots, along with low strength; each player is 60 for their overall rating. I'm currently 6 overs into a test match against them (I'm England) and they're 27-4. You'd think that having 100 for defensive and 10 for attacking would mean that they'd seldom play attacking shots (particularly with a conservative mentality), but I've already seen a fair few swings and the wickets that have fallen have been due to playing attacking shots (two LBW's for trying to pull a knee-hight ball, one bowled for trying to drive and completely missing it and one edging a drive to the keeper) - therefore it would seem that having a low attacking score doesn't necessarily mean they'll play less attacking shots, they'll simply be more prone to making mistakes (and getting out) when they do. Despite the several swings/unnecessary attacking shots, there have been numerous solid defensive shots and lots of drives, so it does seem fairly realistic, but the number of attacking shots played by the AI in tests does need to be toned down overall, particularly early on in the match/their individual innings.

I've created a generic team that all have conservative or precise mentalities with 100 for defensive and 10 for attacking, highish ratings for drives, glances and sweeps and low for cuts, pulls and special shots, along with low strength; each player is 60 for their overall rating. I'm currently 6 overs into a test match against them (I'm England) and they're 27-4. You'd think that having 100 for defensive and 10 for attacking would mean that they'd seldom play attacking shots (particularly with a conservative mentality), but I've already seen a fair few swings and the wickets that have fallen have been due to playing attacking shots (two LBW's for trying to pull a knee-hight ball, one bowled for trying to drive and completely missing it and one edging a drive to the keeper) - therefore it would seem that having a low attacking score doesn't necessarily mean they'll play less attacking shots, they'll simply be more prone to making mistakes (and getting out) when they do. Despite the several swings/unnecessary attacking shots, there have been numerous solid defensive shots and lots of drives, so it does seem fairly realistic, but the number of attacking shots played by the AI in tests does need to be toned down overall, particularly early on in the match/their individual innings.

Attacking/Defending just means how good they are at playing those shots. They will still play attacking shots but not be that good at them.

Attacking/Defending just means how good they are at playing those shots. They will still play attacking shots but not be that good at them.

...so that means their 'mentality' 100% controls their decisions then. In that case I'd like to see conservative batsmen being exactly that, or, ideally, a new mentality added - something like 'ultra-defensive' or 'blocker'.

A lot of the time it seems like it's the last ball of the over, particularly if you've bowled 5 dot balls.

Can someone try this set up:

One batsman with a high skill rating but conservative
One batsman with a low skill rating but aggressive

It will be interesting to see (at least for me) how much rating has an impact.

Can someone try this set up:

One batsman with a high skill rating but conservative
One batsman with a low skill rating but aggressive

It will be interesting to see (at least for me) how much rating has an impact.

I will have a look.

At the moment I am bowling at four identical Alistair Cook's on the same pitch, same difficulty, with four different mentalities, and I will post the results. But they are not very encouraging. I will let them get to 100 without catching them and restarting the over if they are bowled, and post the results. Maybe the programmers got the names of the mentalities and what they do the wrong way around?

"Conservative" Cook is currently 65* of 52.

Next highlights coming in hour or so...

England fighting hard!
The stumping was a bit dodgy, controversial decision by the umpire ahah! Batsman should consider himself unlucky.

Waiting for part 3...

Users who are viewing this thread