West Indies Tour of England - July 2020

I'm continually baffled by the existence of John Campbell, Test opener. Of course he could very well go out there and prove me wrong, but it seems particularly strange with the likes of Da Silva and Moseley in the squad to persist with him. I'm not saying either of them is guaranteed to be a long-term answer, but as both are young, patient players they must be worth a go

Unusual John Campbell statistic: he has never not opened the batting, has only one fifty and has never carried his bat - and yet Campbell has finished over 20% of his Test innings so far unbeaten.

I'm continually baffled by the existence of John Campbell, Test opener. Of course he could very well go out there and prove me wrong, but it seems particularly strange with the likes of Da Silva and Moseley in the squad to persist with him. I'm not saying either of them is guaranteed to be a long-term answer, but as both are young, patient players they must be worth a go

Unusual John Campbell statistic: he has never not opened the batting, has only one fifty and has never carried his bat - and yet Campbell has finished over 20% of his Test innings so far unbeaten.
He's averaging 30 over the last two years which by my reckoning puts him third out of West Indies players who have played more than a couple of matches; double that of Braithwaite, almost double of Hope and almost triple that of Bravo. So he might not be setting the world on fire but he's somewhat of a rock compared with the others who have been in the top order.

If you play it well, there's no more risk really than sweeping conventionally. (Unless you switch your stance) it's the same footwork and a similar one-two hand motion. I personally find it easier to play against leg spinners, and easier to hit hard (there's more of a wrist snap than a conventional sweep)
I suppose it depends on the player. But you surely wouldn't try a reverse-sweep against a fast bowler, especially on the second day of a Test match when you're batting at 176, right?

I suppose it depends on the player. But you surely wouldn't try a reverse-sweep against a fast bowler, especially on the second day of a Test match when you're batting at 176, right?
I mean, I've spent 20 minutes batting in the nets where my goal was to reverse sweep every bowler in the uni (success!). I'm also not an especially good batsman. So on all counts I'm probably not the best person to ask

So he might not be setting the world on fire but he's somewhat of a rock compared with the others who have been in the top order.
f331ceba-5cb9-45f7-9f56-4806b4fd6391.max-390x333.jpg

Semi-appropriate image.

Englands slow going over de last session and a bit is going to bite them
In the Keaton Jennings

Users who are viewing this thread