West Indies Tour of England - May to June 2012

WestIndian

vBookie Team
West Indies, on the heels of the series played in the Caribbean against the Aussies, have named the squad for the tour to England from May to June 2012 with a couple surprises (as expected when it comes to selection) Ramdin comes back into the team at the expense of Baugh who have had a poor time with the bat. Marlon Samuels returns after opting to play in the IPL at the expense of the just concluded series against the Aussies. There are no places for Sarwan (currently playing for Leicestershire, Division 2 in England) and no place for Dwayne Bravo, instead Assad Fudadin will be slotted in the middle order and newcomer fast bowler Shannon Gabriel will form part of the pace attack!

Squad:

Darren Sammy (c)
Kirk Edwards (vc)
Adrian Barath
Darren Bravo
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Narsingh Deonarine
Fidel Edwards
Assad Fudadin
Shannon Gabriel
Kieran Powell
Denesh Ramdin (wk)
Ravi Rampaul
Kemar Roach
Marlon Samuels
Shane Shillingford

Dates and places:

Thu May 17 - Mon May 21
1st Test - England v West Indies
Lord's, London

Fri May 25 - Tue May 29
2nd Test - England v West Indies
Trent Bridge, Nottingham

Thu Jun 7 - Mon Jun 11
3rd Test - England v West Indies
Edgbaston, Birmingham

Sat Jun 16
1st ODI - England v West Indies
The Rose Bowl, Southampton

Tue Jun 19
2nd ODI - England v West Indies
Kennington Oval, London

Fri Jun 22
3rd ODI - England v West Indies
Headingley, Leeds

Sun Jun 24
Only T20I - England v West Indies
Trent Bridge, Nottingham

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Pretty sure Sarwan has started the season with some runs? Certainly got a big hundred in one game so I'm guessing he's the backup batsman if they really need one and just let him keep trying to score runs?

Not surprised at Ramdin's recall, he generally seems to have done quite well against England in the past if I remember correctly (which I probably don't).

1iram1

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I reckon Brendan Nash should've gotten picked since he is already playing in England and scored an unbeaten 132 at the end of day 3.

PaddleSweeper

School Cricketer
West Indies, on the heels of the series played in the Caribbean against the Aussies, have named the squad for the tour to England from May to June 2012 with a couple surprises (as expected when it comes to selection) Ramdin comes back into the team at the expense of Baugh who have had a poor time with the bat. Marlon Samuels returns after opting to play in the IPL at the expense of the just concluded series against the Aussies. There are no places for Sarwan (currently playing for Leicestershire, Division 2 in England) and no place for Dwayne Bravo, instead Assad Fudadin will be slotted in the middle order and newcomer fast bowler Shannon Gabriel will form part of the pace attack!

Yeah, no Gayle and Dwayne Bravo, probably because they themselves wanted to continue playing the IPL. And given how their respective sides in the IPL aren't doing as well as they would have liked, I doubt they will be allowed to leave the tournament mid-way anyway!

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
I reckon Brendan Nash should've gotten picked since he is already playing in England and scored an unbeaten 132 at the end of day 3.

Dude are you crazy? Thinking the proper way is no good.

Bringing in Samuels in from the IPL over a guy who is playing in England already and scoring runs is the proper way. Or at least the way WICB has been doing it for a while now.
The one thing the WI havent had in the middle order is a fighting batsman. Someone willing to do the hard work (well other then Chanderpaul the obvious one) and then they got Nash who was willing to do that and they got rid of him real easy and completely gave up on him.

WestIndian

vBookie Team
Dude are you crazy? Thinking the proper way is no good.

Bringing in Samuels in from the IPL over a guy who is playing in England already and scoring runs is the proper way. Or at least the way WICB has been doing it for a while now.
The one thing the WI havent had in the middle order is a fighting batsman. Someone willing to do the hard work (well other then Chanderpaul the obvious one) and then they got Nash who was willing to do that and they got rid of him real easy and completely gave up on him.

Dare you speaking only of Nash, they bury him before he was dead. Now you bringing on tour Narsingh Deonarine and new boy Fudadin, with nothing at the top to set the pace where batting is concern. And on the bowling side you have Roach and Edwards, they can be lethal if Edwards can remain healthy and Roach can maintain control, but here is the juice Rampaul is picked on his performance of last year not this year, physically he looks poor and over weight and instead of getting a more seasoned player like Tino Best who took 17 wickets this season to support Roach, Edwards and Rampaul they have opt for Gabriel, yes he took 21 wickets this season but he is a virgin to test cricket, and our selectors did not see it fit to break him in on the just ended Aussie tour but the are taking him to England and will expect him to perform magic.

Sureshot

Executive member
Pretty sure Sarwan has started the season with some runs? Certainly got a big hundred in one game so I'm guessing he's the backup batsman if they really need one and just let him keep trying to score runs?

Not surprised at Ramdin's recall, he generally seems to have done quite well against England in the past if I remember correctly (which I probably don't).

As good as Baugh is behind the stumps, he's a bit of a walking wicket.

Hope they've brought their jumpers and wellies!

Owzat

International Coach

Baugh averages 17.94 in 21 Tests to Ramdin's 22.80 in 42 Tests.

Baugh's HS against England is 68, he averages 27.75 in 2 Tests against England. Ramdin's HS is 166, also against England, he averages 31.38 in 11 Tests against England. It is Ramdin's only Test hundred.

I wouldn't be surprised if about 20%-25% of the players in the world have a HS against England

angryangy

ICC Chairman
As good as Baugh is behind the stumps, he's a bit of a walking wicket.

Hope they've brought their jumpers and wellies!
It's not like Ramdin is Dhoni or something and even if he was, they'd still have weak batting. I'll bet you if the Windies get into a winnable situation, it'll be low scoring and it will be dropped catches that threaten to turn the game against them.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Baugh averages 17.94 in 21 Tests to Ramdin's 22.80 in 42 Tests.

Baugh's HS against England is 68, he averages 27.75 in 2 Tests against England. Ramdin's HS is 166, also against England, he averages 31.38 in 11 Tests against England. It is Ramdin's only Test hundred.

I wouldn't be surprised if about 20%-25% of the players in the world have a HS against England

On that same pitch where Ramdin scored 166, Sarwan scored 200+ and WI scored 700+.
Baugh or Ramdin to me is a 50/50. Also the thing that used to set Ramdin apart from other WI wicketkeepers was the glove work and in his recent performances for WI he wasn't that great.

Last edited:

WestIndian

vBookie Team
On that same pitch where Ramdin scored 166, Sarwan scored 200+ and WI scored 700+.
Baugh or Ramdin to me is a 50/50. Also the thing that used to set Ramdin apart from other WI wicketkeepers was the glove work and in his recent performances for WI he wasn't that great.

The truth is there are not many options, it was a case of the better of 2 evils.

Owzat

International Coach
Bell reckons he is "one knock away" from finding form, but with 34 runs in three innings for Warwickshire I'd question whether he shouldn't be left there until he's found proper form (more than one "knock") and then picked for the winter tour if he finds it.

And he admits he could do finding some form ahead of the first Test in May.

"It's just a matter of getting time in the middle," Bell told BBC Sport.

"We've all been in these positions before and you're just one knock away from it all turning round.

"It's been a tricky little period these last couple of months but, if I keep believing and keep doing the right things and keep training hard, then it will turn around again.

"You can practise and net and keep all the good habits that I've been doing over the last two or three years."

BBC Sport - Ian Bell 'one knock away' from finding top form again

What worries me is that he doesn't talk like he thinks he will or should be dropped, he seems to think he should carry on playing. Personally I'd rather give 2-3 fringe players a chance and then consider them for the winter tour as well. Might be a chance to give players a rest too, let them play for their counties but maybe only say 60% of the games or less - more than they'd normally play so arguably win-win

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
The truth is there are not many options, it was a case of the better of 2 evils.

I agree with that but what frustrates me is that the WI selectors keep rotating the same two keepers and there is no effort put in to groom a proper wicketkeeper batsman. Everyone in the world knows that the wicketkeeper spot is one of the WI main problems and there is no effort being made to have someone coached for that position.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
If the weather continues as it has these series will contain matches where no team scores over 200. Mind you they'll still go to the fifth day with rain stops play...

Users who are viewing this thread