West Indies Tour of England - May to June 2012

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
He was looking good but had a disastrous tour for the lions or A team or whatever developmental team it was, so it's good to see him get a score on a pitch that's obviously not easy and he's definitely got a lot of potential.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
I was focusing on Butler during that time, I think he was killing it and saved his failures for the ODI call-up IIRC.

Sureshot

Executive member
He was looking good but had a disastrous tour for the lions or A team or whatever developmental team it was, so it's good to see him get a score on a pitch that's obviously not easy and he's definitely got a lot of potential.

Yup, he does strike me as the kind of player who will build on experiences like that. The move to Notts will do him a world of good, and although you can't say much about his early season form apart from "starts but no biggie" in the conditions we've had, can't really draw any conclusions from it. He's a fighter, a Collingwood if you will, something we missed in the UAE in that middle order (beyond Trott, of course).

It's only a matter of time, really, but be nice to see him given a go this season. Think there could be space in the ODIs too, Morgan I suspect has killed his near future chances of England cricket. Not even played for his IPL team this year (I don't think he's injured) and 20 ODIs since beginning of last year, no score over 63 and averaging ~32. More importantly though, I think he's ticked off the England management.

But yes, Taylor's record is very good for someone of his age. [/babbling]

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Always said it. Get Taylor in the team and dispense with the shite Patel and Bopara for good.

harrisb

International Coach
I'm not suggesting he should immediately become a permanent fixture in the team, but surely against the West Indies we should be prepared to test out a few youngsters as we did against Bangladesh in 2010.

Although the number 5 slot is probably the only place that we could look at testing somebody in, i don't think we should drop Cook and Strauss, despite their poor form of late (especially in Strauss' case) because apart from Carberry (who i personally don't rate) there aren't too many other candidates.

It could be ideal for a young all-rounder, if we go with Prior (6), Broad (8), Swann (9), Anderson and then one of either Tremlett / Finn. This would allow us to try somebody at 7, yet I think if we did that then we'd probably give Bresnan a game.

Anyway, as long as the weather stays good, I'll be looking forward to going on Thursday and Saturday, as myself and my club did very well in the Lord's ballot this year.

Sureshot

Executive member
Taylor is certainly a better test prospect than Bopara/Morgan/Butler/Bairstow.

Bit harsh on the last two considering they've never had a chance at that level, particularly the latter (fi you were to look at FC records). :p

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Definitely a better test prospect than Ravi 'I always look nervous even on 50' Bopara.

Obviously Butler and Bairstow could develop in any direction due to still being so young, but Taylor definitely seems the more natural 4-5 day game player whilst they both seem more naturally suited to OD cricket. Like I said though, next year or two will show how much they have learnt from their various introductions to the English full side and how far they will go.

Taylor thus far struggled badly for the A side in spinning conditions against average spinners whilst Butler struggled on his promotion to the full OD side showing far too great a propensity to play stupid pre-meditated shots. Essentially he's clearly got the talent to smash lesser bowlers around, but will have to work on his shot selection somewhat against the world class bowlers. Bairstow so far has obviously done ok as well, but has probably done the least in domestic cricket when in comparison to the other two.

Interesting certainly, and I think to be honest one of them should play against the Windies. Ravi coming in at 50-3 against the Saffers doesn't fill me with any more confidence than the young lads (who have all scored runs in English conditions against seam attack) coming in. This despite Ravi having had plenty of experience around the world in all forms of cricket.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Ah, Powell putting his hand up finally. The Lions were on track to win this by an innings, so there's one embarrassment saved. A loss is a loss though, so it'll be a demoralising start if they can't put some runs on in the morning session.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Good to see Bairstow picked for the Test. I'm glad they went with him for a few good innings this year, rather than Taylor just because of the Lions match. Just hope he gets a fair go at 6 now.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Well we clearly don't need more than four bowlers in English conditions. Despite what I said a few posts above I would rather Bairstow than Bopara.
Onions is a good pick as well although he probably won't play. Likely to be Bresnan again with Finn missing out.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I'll be dissapointed if Finn misses out. I genuinely think he could be one of the best seam bowlers in the world. Almost keep forgetting about Onions, but it's tough to fit him into the side despite the fact I think he's quality.

Batting wise I think they could have gone with Taylor or Bairstow, but either ahead of Ravi is fine by me.

Users who are viewing this thread