West Indies Tour of England - May to June 2012

If they get a bit of bounce from the new ball, then scoreboard pressure could be an avalanche over England's top order.

I think it's one of those things with not going a bit earlier. If they lose another wicket, they're down to Sammy and Ramdin, which isn't ideal. Hence why Smith and Bravo waited a while before launching, knowing they still had Pollard to come. If they lose a couple of quick wickets going early, then they probably get a much lower score which would be below par.

Good score though, hopefully makes for a good game. Just depends how well that middle order does. Hopefully Bopara is more free-flowing than stodgy.

but early on they simply couldn't play, they had no control over the game from which to decide when to attack. even dernbach kept them quiet.

Excellent innings thus far from young Hales....hope I haven't jinxed him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it! England don't seem to be able to lose these days, at home at least. Many times in the past England would have bottled this, but this England is different. What a great knock from Hales. Really, really good. Shame he missed the 100 but it was a beautiful innings

Last edited by a moderator:
Windies fielding was appalling. Good knock from Hales. He used to open the batting with a mate of mine and for years he's been telling me he'll open for England. Seen a scorebook or two where my mate is on 20 odd and Hales is on 100 haha

Oh and is there a batsman in world cricket who looks as uncomfortable when they're almost on 50 as Ravi?

Hales was really good, which made up from Bopara looking a bit average really. Bit worrying that we keep on making it so close at the end too. With 9 wickets in hand, we shouldn't be needing 17 off the last two overs.

Definitely lost it in the field. I think what really defined the chase was the kind of runs scored: 7 more singles, 13 more twos, and 5 fewer sixes. The field setting just wasn't impressive. It was giving them room thinking they were going to have to copy Bravo and Pollard, but by running twos, they never needed to. There were a number of little mis-hit that weren't near a fielder but really weren't the sort of shot that only happens because the field is out. The fielding was poor, but they were only once or twice actually under the ball. It's so frustrating to see the field finally come in for the last roll of the dice and almost change the game completely.

Hopefully some thing can be worked out and KP can still play in the T20 World Cup and the selectors can catch some sense and pick Shah in a T20 team before that tournament, even if he is on the bench.

England quality depth for batsmen in T20 cricket domestically isn't that great for Shah to can't even make the squad.

Hopefull team and squad:

Kieswetter
Hales
KP
Bopara
Morgan
Buttler/Bairstow
Patel
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Finn

Buttler/Bairstow
Shah
Dernbach
Briggs/Borthwick

hales inning was superb disappointing that he dint got to his 100 but still its a great inning to remember for long . everyone was afraid to face narine to pick his deliveries he done well in this year ipl confused all the batsmen and got wickets and too economically. but england have faced him well in tests,odi and now in t20 and i hope he will not become like mendis who was also like him before but now he is nowhere in the team :eek:

Harsh on Hales getting bowled out on your home ground for 99, but he's won England the game there and that's all that really matters.

Hales is a young talent and has played well perhaps he should more play county cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread