• SACHIN TENDULKAR

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • BRIAN LARA

Votes: 15 44.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
BC Lara said:
West Indies since the early have been known to have the worst set of tailender to have ever graced test cricket, and it's not The Prince's fault either. The Lara innings you are talking about is the 153* against Australia in 1999, and yes it was Walsh who stuck with him at the end. The same Walsh that holds/held the record for the most ducks in test cricket.

You seemed to have named quite a few one day knocks, distinguish between his great test innings and great one day innings for me if it's not too much work.

Just some great Lara test match knocks for you:

Test Matches:

153*
400*

Just off the top my head. Oh, and the 153* was rated by Wisden as the second greatest innings in test match cricket. Sachin didn't have one single innings in the top 100 at that time. And not much has changed since then. :D

Nope.

Kingston, Jamaica.
WI always had awesome bowling attack. The matches where Tendulkar scored a century the Indian bowling let opposition score lot of runs... Now is that tendulkar's fault... Batting and bowling both win matches for a team... Had WI had the same bowling attack as India when Lara scored 153 then Lara would have had to score 253-300 runs to win the match for WI...

And yes, Walsh has scored highest number of ducks but it was because of Walsh perserverence that Lara was able to win the match for WI... had Walsh gotten out... Lara's 153 wouldn't have been the second best innings judged only by Wisden.

BC Lara said:
......and Lara just loves batting against him. Check the stats of the last West Indies tour to Sri Lanka.
Well I know the stats but I also saw that Lara was not able to win (not even draw) any of matches for WI in that tour :)

rahulk666 said:
Well I know the stats but I also saw that Lara was not able to win any of matches for WI in that tour :)

Lara IS NOT THE ONLY MEMBER OF THE WEST INDIES TEAM!!!!!!

Why can't some people get that through their thick sculls? ffs!

All your flipping arguments seemed to be centered around the fact that he should be doing it alone. What about the other ****ing 10?!?

BC Lara said:
Lara IS NOT THE ONLY MEMBER OF THE WEST INDIES TEAM!!!!!!

Why can't some people get that through their thick sculls? ffs!

All your flipping arguments seemed to be centered around the fact that he should be doing it alone. What about the other ****ing 10?!?
Thats what I want to say when people say Tendulkar is not a match winner. You yourself made a comment that sounded that you meant Tendulkar was not a team player.

Andrew Nixon, can I get the capslock picture you have, this guy seems to be shouting too much.

Last edited:
Never said that.

Keyword: Sounded.

The cold hard fact though, is that he has been virtually alone throughout most of his career. Only people like Chanderpaul and to a lesser extent Adams bothered to help at times. Tendulkar has had the like of Azza, Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman, Sehwag, even past players like Sidhu. Lara and Chanderpaul are the only world class batsmen the West Indies have produced in the last 15 years. I'm sure India has had quite a few more.

Lara stands alone.

BC Lara said:
After almost 8 months without playing any first class or test cricket Lara came back against South Africa recently and made 196 in his very first innings. It's something that he's done it more than once too.

Can you all name a memorable innings from Sachin? I'll give you two from Lara for every one you name.

Tendulkar doesn't even have an innings in the top 100 of all time. Talk about being a team player.
Actually I went back to previous post and it seems you didn't sound you actually wrote it.. se it for yourself if you suffer from amnesia... and cut that keyword crap...

If you go back 15 years... then WI may not have produced good batsmen but they still had Walsh, Ambrose at that time. Bowling used to offset their batting deficiencies.
Tendulkar stands alone for me all the way...

Last edited:
It was in reference to all of you claming that Lara ISN'T a team player. So if a man who has scored quite a few match winning/memorable centuries for his team, with 4 or 5 of them being ranked in the top 20 of all time. Why is a man who has scored fewer match winning/memorable test match innings without having any ranked up there with the best 100 be anymore of a team player than the other?

rahulk666 said:
Actually I went back to previous post and it seems you didn't sound you actually wrote it.. se it for yourself if you suffer from amnesia... and cut that keyword crap...

If you go back 15 years... then WI may not have produced good batsmen but they still had Walsh, Ambrose at that time. Bowling used to offset their batting deficiencies.
Tendulkar stands alone for me all the way...

Walsh and Ambrose couldn't bowl all day either. Take a look at some of the insignificant specks that have called themselves West Indian bowlers over the last 15 years.

BC Lara said:
It was in reference to all of you claming that Lara ISN'T a team player. So if a man who has scored quite a few match winning/memorable centuries for his team, with 4 or 5 of them being ranked in the top 20 of all time. Why is a man who has scored fewer match winning/memorable test match innings without having any ranked up there with the best 100 be anymore of a team player than the other?
Just by the multitude of runs he has scored in Tests and ODI matches. Just by the tremendous pressure (of 1 billion people) he always has on his shoulders... Just by the level of consistency he has maintained in his 16 year career unlike the roller-coaster Lara has been riding. Just because the greatest player ever to play the game, Sir Don Bradman said that he reminded him of himself the way he batted. Get it??

Last edited:
Lara has scored more test runs than Tendulkar.

Played far less one-day internationals thus he doesn'thave quite the same amount of runs.

Their test and one-day averages are just about on par with each other.

Lara has far more double hundreds in test cricket.

More triples (Sachin has never made one)

A quadruple (No other batsman has ever achieved this in test matches.)

It's not Lara fault that the Caribbean is only made up of probably 10 million cricket fans (still alot to bear)

Sachin has never been subject to the amount of ridicule that Lara has experienced.

rahulk666 said:
Just because the greatest player ever to play the game, Sir Don Bradman said that he reminded him of himself the way he batted. Get it??

If The Don told you to shoot yourself, you'd do it. Ok.

BC Lara said:
Lara has scored more test runs than Tendulkar.
Wait for another 4 years and tell me this... :D

BC Lara said:
Played far less one-day internationals thus he doesn'thave quite the same amount of runs.
Now is it Tendulkar's fault that Lara has not played more matches :D

BC Lara said:
Their test and one-day averages are just about on par with each other.
Well thats one of the reasons why this thread only has Lara and Tendulkar and the whole debate

BC Lara said:
Lara has far more double hundreds in test cricket.
Because he is the only great batsmen WI has produced in last 15 years.. You said that I have proof... Wheras for India the runs are shared by other batsmen other than Tendulkar

BC Lara said:
More triples (Sachin has never made one)
Same reason above... All The triples he has scored have resulted in a draw... no match winning knocks.. which makes a batsman stand alone in your opinion

BC Lara said:
A quadruple (No other batsman has ever achieved this in test matches.)
Again drawn... I really thought he was spared by the umpire... at numerous occasions in that innings

BC Lara said:
It's not Lara fault that the Caribbean is only made up of probably 10 million cricket fans (still alot to bear)
Well I am sure Lara would have quit cricket long time ago if he had that much public pressure and scrutiny all the time for last 16 years
BC Lara said:
Sachin has never been subject to the amount of ridicule that Lara has experienced.
Sachin carries himself in a dignified way that rules out chance of someone ridiculing him (although there are some instances where he too was ridiculed)

BC Lara said:
If The Don told you to shoot yourself, you'd do it. Ok.
Just like if wisden said you were a fool you would agree...

Last edited:
Lara is capable of playing innings that Tendulkar couldn't, but overall I'd rather have Tendulkar in my team.

rahulk666 said:
Wait for another 4 years and tell me this... :D

Sachin is on the decline, Lara is at his peak.

rahulk666 said:
Same reason above... All The triples he has scored have resulted in a draw... no match winning knocks.. which makes a batsman stand alone in your opinion

Not his fault the knocks weren't matchwinning.

rahulk666 said:
I really thought he was spared by the umpire... at numerous occasions in that innings

Funny how you are the only one I've ever heard express this sentiment.

FreddieFan said:
but overall I'd rather have Tendulkar in my team.
Point taken.
Hits the nail on the head...

Last edited:
FreddieFan said:
Lara is capable of playing innings that Tendulkar couldn't

Hits the nail on the head. But Sachin can never pull a Lara. The shots, aggresive ness, arrogance. It's something that the little man lacks and The Prince has in abundance.

If you saw his innings today you would know what I mean. Pure flipping arrogance, yet class in his shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread