Who was your first cricket icon?

Blimey, I must be a little older than most of you.

The first summer I watched cricket was when the Windies came over in 1980. So when the following summer came along I was hooked. And boy, what a summer. (you can probably guess where this is going)

My first hero was Ian Botham. Still is. Won't have a bad word said about him. Still argue with those that say Imran was a more complete all-rounder, but then I'm biased and its my opinion.

But I'm one of those guys who is not happy with just supporting everyones favourite and so Derek Randall caught my eye. I loved his antics, he'd fidget at the crease, look awkward, but my god, could he field. I used to field in the covers meself, and used to imagine I was 'Arkle'.

My favourite Randall innings was in 1983 when the NZ's were over here. 3rd Test, Trent Bridge, and Randall and Botham just had a ball. More classic than Botham/Dilley 2 years earlier and the cover drives that Randall displayed were just a joy to behold.

That 1980 summer was great, I remember that huge Hughes six at Lord's during the Centenary Test, and of course the WI flexing their muscles. Viv's ton at Lords was awesome, so too was Peter Willey's ton!

Randall was a charismatic player, I loved his quirky batting style, and his flowing drives. That Trent Bridge knock was a Randall classic alright!! Great free flowing partnership. Not great bowling though apart from Hadlee.

Last edited:
Md.Azharuddin (I was shocked to see him involved in the fixing scandal) and Sachin Tendulkar initially from the Indian side. I`ve always admired Steve Waugh for his attitude and Brian Lara for his audacity and flair.

I`ve always been a great admirer of the Fab 4 (VVS,Dravid,Sachin and Kumble) for their humility towards the game even after all that they`ve acheived. Something the new breed of Indian cricketers must learn from. Unfortunately, the newer breed seems to idolize guys like UV and Bhajji, both of whom are real hacks.

Last edited:
That 1980 summer was great, I remember that huge Hughes six at Lord's during the Centenary Test, and of course the WI flexing their muscles. Viv's ton at Lords was awesome, so too was Peter Willey's ton!

Randall was a charismatic player, I loved his quirky batting style, and his flowing drives. That Trent Bridge knock was a Randall classic alright!! Great free flowing partnership. Not great bowling though apart from Hadlee.

Excellent! Oh there's much we could discuss and reminisce over Robelinda, old chum.

Not sure where to start....Kim Hughes?

I also like Ajay Jadeja. One of the most charismatic players to have played for India. Towards the late 90s and at the onset of the millennium, I grew particularly fond of Robin Singh. India's reply to Jonty Rhodes after Jonty Sindhu, ofcourse :D

Excellent! Oh there's much we could discuss and reminisce over Robelinda, old chum.

Not sure where to start....Kim Hughes?

Indeed! I loved Kim Hughes' style, bit iffy now and then but he had real style- those cover drives and cut shots were a treat, and he played spin well too, always using his feet and hitting along the ground too in that old style way. No slogging over the top.

Obviously people talk about his MCG ton in 81/82 but he played many classy knocks.

Robelinda added 2 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

Md.Azharuddin (I was shocked to see him involved in the fixing scandal) and Sachin Tendulkar initially from the Indian side.

Azhar was awesome. Those innings vs SA in 96 were stunning to watch, the one at Cape Town and the couple in India. I'll never forget his ton at Adelaide in 91/92, man he was in a class of own that day, ripping our bowlers apart with amazing drives.

Users who are viewing this thread