Who was your first cricket icon?

Used to love watching the West Indies sides of the late eighties, early nineties.

When I got into cricket, Flintoff was making runs and taking wickets for fun against the West Indies. So I would say him.

I remember it, didn't he smash 20 off one over? Deserved a 100, but I wouldn't be surprised if his captain wouldn't have declared with him a run or two short :facepalm

Hah! Well at least Daffy wouldve TRIED to get the two runs needed, instead of blocking out an over from Fleming then looked annoyed at the declaration. Hick= FAIL.

Shane Warne.

First bowler I saw during 2002 summer against South Africa, tried bowling like him in the backyard all summer that year.

Sourav Ganguly.

He is a role model of all the Bengalis, and I guess I am no exception. I grew up watching him, and would remain glued to the TV whenever he walked out with his bat. What a cricketer!

I found Steve Waugh to be very inspirational. He is what the perfect captain should be like. :hpraise:hpraise

My first foreign inspiration growing up was Sanath Jayasuriya. Back in his glory days. He used to pummel us on a daily basis in ODI cricket. Sharp captain, great fielder, and a handy bowler too.

Would dream of Sachin and Sanath opening together, how simply awesome that would be. 12 years later and it's actually happening, quite successfully, for the Mumbai Indians!

i would say Dhoni and Sachin . I have watched Dhoni from the start of his career and Sachin in later part of is career.

Blimey, I must be a little older than most of you.

The first summer I watched cricket was when the Windies came over in 1980. So when the following summer came along I was hooked. And boy, what a summer. (you can probably guess where this is going)

My first hero was Ian Botham. Still is. Won't have a bad word said about him. Still argue with those that say Imran was a more complete all-rounder, but then I'm biased and its my opinion.

But I'm one of those guys who is not happy with just supporting everyones favourite and so Derek Randall caught my eye. I loved his antics, he'd fidget at the crease, look awkward, but my god, could he field. I used to field in the covers meself, and used to imagine I was 'Arkle'.

My favourite Randall innings was in 1983 when the NZ's were over here. 3rd Test, Trent Bridge, and Randall and Botham just had a ball. More classic than Botham/Dilley 2 years earlier and the cover drives that Randall displayed were just a joy to behold.

The first overseas player I really admired was Malcolm Marshall. Still the best bowler I've EVER seen. Warne comes close, but Marshall was still the greatest.

In 2008 I took a trip to Australia to visit my brother in Perth. I got talking to his next door neighbour who saw Bradman play. I spent a very enjoyable afternoon discussing the merits of the master. Made even more enjoyable by the fact that we were watching Australia getting stuffed in India!

Users who are viewing this thread