Who will break Lara's Test Record of 400 Runs?

Maybe if Gilchrist is sent out to open one day he will do it. Or Sehwag. Another possibility is if a team has just won a series and wants to close out with a draw. Then they can just bat out, without the interest of the viewers.

Sehwag doesn't need the temperament. Haha. Actually he can settle down into a groove if he concentrates hard enough. But Sehwag needs plenty of chances to be given to him. Pakistan gave him about 4-6 chances in that epic 309. But it's always possible--I mean those sort of scores are just when everything falls into place or the opponents just give up.

It's the sort of thing that will come out of the blue. The best bets have to be Lara himself, Hayden, and Sehwag, players who have already made epic innings. I also reckon Gibbs could be a good bet. But it really could be any batsman who averages over 45. The reason those 3 are the best bets is because they have past experiences of that kind of innings. Lara made his 400 in April 2004 but he was also within sight of that mark when he made 375 against England in 94 and when he was storming along on 277 before he got run out against Australia. Hayden was within sight of 400 but then he got caught.

I don't reckon that the record will be made against Zimbabwe or Bangladesh. It will be made against a decent side. I don't think any of the top batsmen would want to make such an important record against a sub-standard team. It would be disrespectful to the game of cricket. The main reason everyone (apart from the few killjoys) was so happy when Lara got his record back was because it actually meant something - Hayden batted against a rubbish Zimbabwe bowling attack, Lara batted against a decent English one.

As for Lara being selfish batting to 400, well, during that match he always said that he would declare at 750, and as soon as WI reached 750, he declared. The reason WI did not win the test was because of failing to bowl England out twice, thanks in part to some bizarre fielding errors (a big one on Flintoff by Lara himself). And also rain delays didn't help. An extra 10 overs for Lara to reach 400 wouldn't have made any difference.

Last edited:
Sachin Tendulkar,Sanath Jayasuriya have become.Sachin has become very defensive.
Matty Hayden may be..
But Sehwag surely.

He was the first indian to score a triple ton & will be the first cricketer to cross 401

I think someone like Hayden or Gilchrist or Ponting will do it.

But the problem is that the aussies always want to finish the match quickly,so its unlikely that one of them will break the record.

Gilchrist can't do it simply because he bats at 7. Just as it's difficult to score a century batting down the order in an ODI, finding enough partners to get past 300 at six-fer is insane.

I reckon (of Australians) Ponting is the best bet. He bats at 3, has done well with the double-hundreds, has a lot of good years left in him and becomes unholy when it's his day in the sun. Hayden's probably the player with the most reason to go for it, but at the end of the day, I think it's unrealistic to assume that anyone will get it any time in the next few years.

The ideal situation would be that a massive partnership forms early in the innings and they bat for a day or so. Either a situation where the team needs an enourmous amount of runs or where the opposition is a farce.

Users who are viewing this thread