Who will break Lara's Test Record of 400 Runs?

Gilchrist will never get near that record. His style simply doesnt allow for it. He may get a quick 150 or so, but a further 250? I seriously doubt it.

Dude, his best is 204 n.o. (213) against South Africa in 2002. Once Gichrist gets going, he is very clean. Like I said, though, number seven is not going to get 300

204 is only half way to the record. ;) Dont forget that only like 13 players in the WHOLE HISTORY of the game have ever passsed 300 in tests.

Inside_Edge said:
204 is only half way to the record. ;) Dont forget that only like 13 players in the WHOLE HISTORY of the game have ever passsed 300 in tests.
Out of which include the likes of Bradman, Lara, and Sehwag :eek:

Bradman and Lara a couple of times. At least. (Bradman had two triple-tons right? or was it three?). I think Lara's record is quite safe at the moment, because cricket is becoming more result-oriented. Teams will much likely prefer to finish off a game in 2 or 3 days against a weaker team than bat two days and then bowl the team out quickly. But there are always those one-off innings' (like Sehwag's) that totally defy all logic.

Bradman hit two triple centuries and so did Lara.

Obviously not all batsmen are made for hitting huge, spectacular innings. Tendulkar is the best batsmen overall but he isn't as good as Lara at hitting that kind of innings. For this reason I don't think he is the one to do it.

Another player who has a test average over 50 who is very unlikely to do it (against meaningful opposition) is Jacques Kallis. He's a very good player, but he isn't a great batsman like Ponting or Lara or Tendulkar or Dravid. He's an average builder - he has an average in their territory, but he has never made a double century, and his average now is the highest it's ever been over his entire career.

So what I'm saying is, Tendulkar won't do it not because he doesn't have the talent, but rather because such a feat doesn't suit his natural batting style. On the other hand, Kallis won't do it, simply because he just doesn't have enough talent.

Last edited:
If another person was to break that record i cud see it being either Michael Clarke of Australia, or Ronnie Sarwan of West Indies. Dont ask me why i just feel these 2 are 2 of the most technically gifted young players in world cricket at the moment, with lots of years ahead of them and lots of time to have attempts at it.

The record will stand for a while yet, i cannot see it being beaten in the next few years, maybe in 4 or 5 years time but not anytime soon.

As for players who I dont think will break it, Kallis or Dravid. There games are too slow to beat a record of that nature which in some parts requires quick scoring. Dravid would take at least 5 days to score that many runs the way he bats, and seen as Kallis hasnt even passed 200 yet and is also a slow scorer, that imo rules both of them out.

I beg to differ that Jacques Kallis is not a great batsman. His consistency makes him great. Sure he doesnt have a double to his name (and I bet the boys in the dressing room dont let him forget it) but that doesnt mean he is not a great. Sarwan is not exactly a fast scorer either, more of an accumulator like Kallis.

I never said Kallis was not a great player, his record speaks for itself, in a few years tho, Sarwan will be up there with the best batsmen in the world.

I can see Sachin get close, but if I had to pick someone from the Indian side, I'd say either Dravid or Sehwag. From Pakistani team, Inzamam is the only one with enough mental strenght to go all the way. But I do see players like Asim Kamal or Younis Khan to get to that level of cricket in a few years. Unless ofcourse they get dropped from the team for having a bad day. :rolleyes:

Seeing the Pakistanis mentality for draws, I wont be surprised if some one from Pakistan gets that record (Inzamam or Youhana). But still it requires lots and lots of stamina and I think they might falter at some stage before they get to it. All in all, Lara is safe but i think a one off innings might come sometime to overtake this but not by too big a margin. it might be 410 or 415.

well i guess it would be shewag from the indian team or maybe gilly from the ausies

coz to get a score of around 400 you need to be an aggressive player.
shewag and gilly both can score double hundreds in a single day.

so its just abt spending 2 days at the wicket and they would end up with 400 odd

i cant see a youhana or an asim kamal doin that coz they r not that aggresive in nature.

sohummisra said:
Gilly could probably score a double hundred in a couple of sessions. :)
Gilly could score one in an ODI....just hand him the Zims bowling attack without Streak and Blignaut..... :) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread