Who's the most successful Left-Arm Spinner?

andrew_nixon said:
Out of current players, easily Vettori. Giles doesn't come anywhere near the top of this list, he isn't even the best left arm spinner in England.

Agreed.

i will go with Sanath Jayasuriya!!!!
He is leading wickettaker among left arm spinners in ODI!!!!(at present level)
I think everyone here have forgooten him!!!!
Vettori has taken around 170 wickets.
But Sanath has taken around 275!!!!

According to me Sanath is the best leftarm spinner and stats too say that!!!

That is true. He has been more sucessful so far and I guess thats what this threads title asks. However he wouldn't be the best currently.

Vettori is a little over 100 wickets behind and has years in the bank.

Whilst looking this up to my dismay, this has to be absolutly terrible news: http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/249161.html

I hope this gets right pretty quickly.

Last edited:
ZoraxDoom said:
These threads are getting annoying...
What is people's problem with threads like these? This is cricket chat isn't it?

Anyhoo, out of the current crop of cricketers, Vettori is best. Haven't watched many from the past.

surendar said:
i will go with Sanath Jayasuriya!!!!
He is leading wickettaker among left arm spinners in ODI!!!!(at present level)
I think everyone here have forgooten him!!!!
Vettori has taken around 170 wickets.
But Sanath has taken around 275!!!!

According to me Sanath is the best leftarm spinner and stats too say that!!!

You seriously saying that Sanath is better than Vettori?

Vettori

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/38710.html

386 international wickets.

Sanath

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/player/49209.html

367 (Inc todays)

Vettori also has a better strike rate by about 4.

ZoraxDoom said:
These threads are getting annoying...

I like Rafique.
Agreed. We need some good debate here. These sort of topics should be moved into the Never Ending forum, as they will never end (obviously).

Hmmm...

I'm not counting chickens, but Dave Mohammad did look pretty good in the 5th ODI and the 1st test. He was only given about 7 overs in the test, unfortunately. However, one cannot forget India's tendencies to make average bowlers look super. Adam Sanford from the last tour, anyone?

Hahaha, no!

Adam Sanford is the bowler who took all sorts of accolades when India toured them last, and then slipped back into the gloom of (English?) domestic cricket.

I think in orthodox-spinners Daniel Vettori, in current times would be the standout. Though for Left-arm wrist spinners, Hogg would be my pick even though, he only played a few tests and now only plays in the One Day team.

Vettori is the best left armer in the world, statistically and ability wise

I would definitely say Vettori. Hes done dam well for a left armer, especially early on when he was the quickest spinner to 100 wickets (iirc). Hes slowed down in SR recently but looks to have regain form after a few years of doing not much. Sanath is also good but with SL having Murali he hasn't really had a chance to shine.

DJ Ager said:
Vettori is the best left armer in the world, statistically and ability wise

I would agree with that one, he has proven himself so far and he is still only 27 - I would expect him to - by the end of his career - be one of the greatest, if not the greatest Left-Arm Spinner in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread