Wireless Help

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I just got a laptop, and ordered a cable wireless broadband router. I have plugged my cable modem into the wireless router, and i can connect to the net fine on my desktop. I have installed the wireless drivers on the laptop. The laptop can see the connection, and will connect to it. Yet i am unable to use the net. Kinda stuck.

MacWorld

Club Cricketer
Make sure that the phone cable from the router to the phone socket is plugged into the DSL line or the no 1 slot on the router.

Thats all i can think off atm

siddharth2002

National Board President<br /><a href="showthread.
I just got a laptop, and ordered a cable wireless broadband router. I have plugged my cable modem into the wireless router, and i can connect to the net fine on my desktop. I have installed the wireless drivers on the laptop. The laptop can see the connection, and will connect to it. Yet i am unable to use the net. Kinda stuck.

I wonder, since you may have used your laptop on the cable router at least once, there may be static IP settings set on your Local Area connection with a static DNS entry and default gateway. And that can interfere with your wireless connection especially the D/G setting.

siddharth2002 added 0 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

Make sure that the phone cable from the router to the phone socket is plugged into the DSL line or the no 1 slot on the router.

Thats all i can think off atm

Cable broadband is not DSL and doesn't require a phone cable either.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Or Maybe, you need to set static IP addresses, and DNS in the TCP/IP settings of your wireless network adaptor.
See the desktop computer's setting, and make sure they match the wireless settings of the notebook.
I remember having a cable connection 4-5 years back, and I needed to specify the IP address, gateway and DNS settings.

How are you connecting to the desktop? Through the router or directly through the modem?

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
My desktop is connected to the wan port on the wirless router which is connected to the cable modem.

Basically, wireless works on both of our laptops until we got to the router setup page to use the setp wizard. We need to use the wizard to setup a wep password to stop others using our wireless. During the setup it specifys some other settings that i am not familiar with.

The first one is which setup do i want, in fact ill post screenshots, and maybe you could advise me on what i need to do. Generally i have a static ip with virgin media, but sometimes it changes.

siddharth2002

1. First of all you need to connect the Desktop to one of the LAN ports on the Wireless router.
2. Second, you need to connect the WAN port on the Wireless router to the Network port on the Cable broadband router.
3. Now, on step 4 on the Wireless router page, choose Static as opposed to DHCP and plonk in the static IP settings assigned to you by your ISP including the DNS addresses.
4. On the Step 5 on the Wireless router page, I suggest changing the SSID to something more personal and recognisable such as Gas_home etc.
5. Now looking at the Wireless Router setup page, click on Wireless on the left hand column and find the Security/authentication setting that should allow you to choose WEP etc.
6. If available, choose WPA-PSK TKIP or WPA2-PSK AES encryption and specify an access password (at least 8 characters). WEP is a pretty weak encryption and you will often have connection problems.

Let me know how it goes.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Many thanks sid, will try this out soon and let you know how it goes, probably tomorrow.

Thanks again.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Sadly it didn't work, and whats more it stopped the net from working on the main pc, until i reset the router. Honestly, why do they have to make these things so hard. Seriously considering getting a virgin media wireless router which comes with a cd which sets everything up for you. :rolleyes:

siddharth2002

Sadly it didn't work, and whats more it stopped the net from working on the main pc, until i reset the router. Honestly, why do they have to make these things so hard. Seriously considering getting a virgin media wireless router which comes with a cd which sets everything up for you. :rolleyes:

In that case, you need to call the Geeks on Wheelz. It works that way here in NZ, might be different up there.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Well, i managed to get it working in the end, had to use someone else's wireless router though.

Anyway, it all turned out be pointless. I have decided to sell the laptop on Ebay, and surprisingly it looks like i am going to make at least ?40 profit. Incredible!:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread