Women's Internationals (Women's Asia Cup 2024 19 Jul - 28 Jul)

The Indian women’s cricket receives nowhere near the same funding or attention that the men’s sides do.
They have the WPL- access to the best facilities and coaches. Funding wise, cannot say cause don't have any idea if how it is distributed.

However, given that we receive way more than the like of Pak and Ban one would expect a win or 2 against top nations after years of playing cricket.

They have the WPL- access to the best facilities and coaches. Funding wise, cannot say cause don't have any idea if how it is distributed.

However, given that we receive way more than the like of Pak and Ban one would expect a win or 2 against top nations after years of playing cricket.
WPL is 20 years old, they should be producing 5 Elyse Perry every season by now.

WPL is 20 years old, they should be producing 5 Elyse Perry every season by now.
That team yesterday had three players who had good WPL that weren't on the radar 12 months ago - at least not in the team squads.

England's depth has improved massively since The Hundred came around. While I wouldn't solely credit The Hundred, there's other changes going on, it tests players in an environment they're unlikely to have played in. There's usually at least 1/2 full grounds for the women's matches.

There's a lot more depth to the entire squad now. Charlie Dean, Issy Wong, Kate Cross not in this side (or squad in Wong's case). Bess Heath, Maia Bouchier, Dani Gibson all played WBBL this year - not in that XI.

Yesterday's match. England played well. Wyatt and NSB put on 140 in 13 overs at two down. India couldn't get a partnership like that going. Ecclestone and Glenn are a quality, experienced bowlers. India had two debutant spinners bowling eight overs. Player for player I think England are just stronger in the bowling department anyway.

Also, the 'best coaching in the world' seems a stretch when they haven't had a permanent coach for like 12 months until a week ago. :lol

Last edited:
You may defend Indian women as much as you like, but the truth is Pakistan and lesser nations have shown immense improvements despite their inability in bagging multi year sponsors, good facilities and year round cricket with top teams.

I get the coach point- but you cant simply dismiss the likes of Kanitkar and Pawar who had been with the team for a long time. Not as if they havent done anything of value. Furthermore, with the WPL, these girls ought to have received the best. They also arent treated like their male counterparts and are allowed to take part in 100, BBL. Shame on them if they can't even string together a performance that is worthy. There's a difference between simply going for a game and 'actually being competitive'. Indian women haven't been competitive for a long time.

I know some of you will refer to the numerous World Cup SF/ Final appearances- but again, mostly strokes of luck- other nations have performed far better.

You may defend Indian women as much as you like, but the truth is Pakistan and lesser nations have shown immense improvements despite their inability in bagging multi year sponsors, good facilities and year round cricket with top teams.

I get the coach point- but you cant simply dismiss the likes of Kanitkar and Pawar who had been with the team for a long time. Not as if they havent done anything of value. Furthermore, with the WPL, these girls ought to have received the best. They also arent treated like their male counterparts and are allowed to take part in 100, BBL. Shame on them if they can't even string together a performance that is worthy. There's a difference between simply going for a game and 'actually being competitive'. Indian women haven't been competitive for a long time.

I know some of you will refer to the numerous World Cup SF/ Final appearances- but again, mostly strokes of luck- other nations have performed far better.
We could just rename this thread Unpopular Cricket Opinions to Icyman's Opinions and you could just post everything in there.

I’m not sure if you’ve heard of this effect (I can’t remember the name of it now) but it describes how it’s easier to go from being a lower or mid ranking to a higher one than it is to go from a higher one to the rarefied place of very high. A slightly personal anecdote here as an example… I played against a guy in Age of Empires a few years ago who would match up against another player who was slightly above him in the ranking. The latter was the best of us all but he was a lot closer to my ranking than to the top players… which was quite far away. I checked the rankings a year ago and he was listed among the top five most improved players by ratings since then and was the second best player in India. Since then he’s broken into the top 100 globally, played in a couple of high profile team game tournaments and participated in the qualifiers for the best tournaments in the scene.

Now why do I bring this up? It’s because he hasn’t come anywhere near qualifying for any of the individual tournaments in those qualifiers and the bloke he lost to in one of them got eliminated in the next round of qualifiers too. Across these individual tournaments only two of them have been new winners and both of them have played the game for far longer and more periods than the guy I mentioned. And this is for an individual based game where you’d only need a mentor or teammate to train with and daily gaming online, imagine it for a team based sport with a multitude of factors and multiple individuals.

The WPL occurred for one year. Do you think Bangladesh should have won the T20 WC after their first season of the BPL? Or should USA win the next T20 WC because they had their own T20 league this year? It isn’t just funding, they’ve consistently been short staffed, the player development pathways are nowhere near what it is compared to other top countries let alone the Indian men’s team and the professionalisation of the system isn’t complete yet. On top of that, if you think multiple par achievements (with a couple of them being above par) in tournaments are just the result of a stroke of luck whilst referring to the bilateral wins of other nations as massive successes then you’re forming the argument after deciding on the agenda.

29/4

Playing against the best apparently worsens them. Seriously though, Bangladesh women would have put on a much better show at home.

Shame on this crop for not being competitive at home, despite playing most of their cricket here.

The WPL occurred for one year. Do you think Bangladesh should have won the T20 WC after their first season of the BPL? Or should USA win the next T20 WC because they had their own T20 league this year? It isn’t just funding, they’ve consistently been short staffed, the player development pathways are nowhere near what it is compared to other top countries let alone the Indian men’s team and the professionalisation of the system isn’t complete yet. On top of that, if you think multiple par achievements (with a couple of them being above par) in tournaments are just the result of a stroke of luck whilst referring to the bilateral wins of other nations as massive successes then you’re forming the argument after deciding on the agenda.
They atleast gotta be competitive,right? The team has consistently lost to the top ranked teams. Pakistan and Bangladesh have beaten us recently and that too comprehensively.

Multiple tournament achievements are a stroke of luck, cause any other team would have exhibited some sort of consistency. India have had a core of players, which has largely remained unchanged for a long time. Despite this, if they are getting beaten shambolically, it means the core is rotten.

Bear in mind, them getting defeated cheaply isn't on account of their batting exhibiting ' Hit out or Get out', it's basically their inability/unwillingness to play at the highest levels.

They atleast gotta be competitive,right? The team has consistently lost to the top ranked teams. Pakistan and Bangladesh have beaten us recently and that too comprehensively.

Multiple tournament achievements are a stroke of luck, cause any other team would have exhibited some sort of consistency. India have had a core of players, which has largely remained unchanged for a long time. Despite this, if they are getting beaten shambolically, it means the core is rotten.

Bear in mind, them getting defeated cheaply isn't on account of their batting exhibiting ' Hit out or Get out', it's basically their inability/unwillingness to play at the highest levels.

I don’t know what games you’re referring to my friend, Pakistan have beat us once since 2020 which was last year in a tournament that we ended up winning as far as I could find. If by Bangladesh you mean the series where we lost one game in each format… we won the T20I series and drew the ODI one. Beat in mind this was the same series that was beset by controversies ranging from poor organisation, terrible pitches and outfields and extremely dubious umpiring. It would be the equivalent of criticising the 80s West Indian team for only winning once in New Zealand in tests because they were hindered by extremely biased home umpiring. In any case, should the White Ferns team be termed in the same way because they lost an entire series to Pakistan now?

The team consistently loses series to the top teams because they aren’t as good as those top teams. Don’t know why it’s difficult for you to understand this. We have taken games off them in bilaterals in any case. Heck, we whitewashed England in an ODI series a year ago on their turf. That is pretty much the ceiling for this side… they can challenge for a knockouts place in tournaments. Anything beyond that is overachieving already.

I don’t know what your current solution is for this either, unlike in the men’s team where if you have an issue with Kohli being selfish you could bring in Gaikwad or Jaiswal and still get 70-80% of what Kohli does... there isn’t a bunch of players waiting out there who would come in and start winning trophies because it seems that’s what you really want.

Sometimes I wonder if you have a wheel in your house spinning with a bunch of talking points on it and pick out whichever one the needle lands on to post about. :D

Users who are viewing this thread