Worst bowling performances

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
1 Bert Vance
Wellington v Canterbury, Shell Trophy, Christchurch, 1989-90

nb4446646141nb6666600401

Vance was playing for Wellington against Canterbury - a win would secure the title but Canterbury were blocking it out and well short of the target. Then Wellington had a crazy plan. Vance bowled no-ball full toss after no-ball full toss, hoping Canterbury would risk their last two wickets for victory: 77 runs came from Vance's 22-ball over as Lee Germon brought up his hundred. The scorers were so confused, they began asking spectators for help. The umpire was in such a muddle that only five legitimate balls were actually bowled. After the game, it became clear that Canterbury were just one run short of winning. Wellington went on to win the Trophy anyway. Above is the over with legitimate balls in bold. Please add zero if dialling from outside the UK.

Cricinfo - The 77-run over
2 Malcolm Nash
Glamorgan v Nottinghamshire, County Championship, Swansea, 1968

The greatest worst over of them all. The 1968 county season was in its last days when Garry Sobers strode out for Nottinghamshire. "Somehow one sensed that something extraordinary was going to happen," said Wisden's man with the crystal ball. Sure enough it did. Sobers thrashed his way to immortality by taking a six off each ball of a Malcolm Nash over. Nash, bowling his slow left-arm, took it well. "We've gone into the record books," he told Sobers. "And you couldn't have done it without me."

6 Scott Boswell
Leicestershire v Somerset, C&G Trophy final, 2001

Cricket can be cruel. Boswell had been Leicestershire's champion in the semi-final, cleaning up four England players in a match-winning performance. In the final, the occasion, the Lord's slope and his own sweaty palms undid him. In his second over he sent down eight wides, five of them in a row. His match figures were two overs for 23. These were among Boswell's last deliveries for the county: he was released a month later.

YouTube - The Worst Over Ever???

10 Mohammad Sami
Pakistan v Bangladesh, Asia Cup, Colombo, 2004

Bangladesh don't often score at 10 an over in ODIs but with a bit of help from Pakistan's Sami in last year's Asia Cup, it wasn't difficult. His 17-ball over (seven wides and four no-balls) took Bangladesh from 6 for 1 to 30 for 1 by the third over of the innings. Neither team could make the final, so the result was of little importance -?the only person who really suffered was the poor soul writing ball-by-ball commentary for Cricinfo: "What an over. Got me in trouble," he managed to type.

Cricinfo - The XI worst overs

Thought this might interest people. What other performances have you seen that is really really bad?

Last edited:
A player I played against a few years ago had an exceptionally bad start to a game. Not sure what club it was as I've played many clubs with a bad bowler. The first four deliveries where wide, his first legitimate ball was almost a no-ball full toss and was hit for six. Then the second,third and fourth where smashed away for four. His next delivery was a wide and his last two went for singles bringing the grand total of 24 off one over. He bowled brilliantly after that and finnished with 4-35 after bowling I think 4 overs.

Last edited:
The Scott Boswell over was hilarious. Seen that a few times on Youtube, makes me laugh every time, poor bloke.

I just watched it too and it was painful to watch, how could a pro cricketer bowl that badly. And was he trying to bowl slower balls?

I just watched it too and it was painful to watch, how could a pro cricketer bowl that badly. And was he trying to bowl slower balls?

Nope, just pretty slow and had the yips.

Boswell just had one of those moments. Sure we all had them when we were young. He just did his on tv with thousands watching. :D It's horrible when you try to let go of the ball and aren't bowling with any rythm or pace, just trying and failing to get line and length, that was what it was always like for me back in kwik cricket :p That video does seem to be the stock clip for cricket gaffes collections along with Herschelle Gibbs moment.

Zaheer Khan and Ashish Nehra in World Cup 2003 Final against Australia. Worst bowling ever.

alot of the 4's and 6's where no balls as you'd see if you looked on the cricinfo page bud.

2ebbbj5.png
28klhjl.png
29uy8ba.png

2whgzkl.png
2j1x8k7.png
5vq3gh.png

:hpraise :hpraise :hpraise

How someone can bowl so many balls in over? as we can see there are only 2 no-balls.
It's even worse, it was actually a short over! The umpire miscounted and there were actually only 5 legitimate deliveries!

Don't think this should count anyway, as it was deliberately bad.

Juxtaposition. OMG!!!!

Hehe. Six 6s in an over. Never gets old does it?

I wanna give honourable mention to a certain Mick Lewis...

And mostly any bowler on this list...or this one

And there is Van Bunge's 36 in an over against Gibbs...

Juxtaposition. OMG!!!!

Hehe. Six 6s in an over. Never gets old does it?

I wanna give honourable mention to a certain Mick Lewis...

And mostly any bowler on this list...or this one

And there is Van Bunge's 36 in an over against Gibbs...
Van Bunge can be excused as he is hardly a regular bowler. Broad effectively lost the match for England, not discounting the shame that will haunt him forever.

I can't wait to see how the Aussie batsmen respond to this princess's antics on the pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread