XBox 360 Chat

Lucky said:
EDIT: How much did you get yours for Duff? You a Halo fan? :p :D
I bought mine for about $400AUS and no, I'm not much of a halo fan.
Although I love playing First Person Shooters, Squad Based Shooters and Stealth Action games. :)

duffarama said:
I bought mine for about $400AUS and no, I'm not much of a halo fan.
Although I love playing First Person Shooters, Squad Based Shooters and Stealth Action games. :)

You disappoint me :p ;) :D

You seem to like killing and violence though:p :D

Me, I'm more of a Sporty kind of guy :p I don't mind FPS, Strategy. But that's about it.

Stealth Action games? Meaning Splinter Cell and Hitman etc.

I like Hitman quite a bit!

I've never been a fan of console games, and I never will be. RTS can never be properly emulated on consoles, I'm very interested to see how BFME2 does on the 360.

gold639 said:
I've never been a fan of console games, and I never will be. RTS can never be properly emulated on consoles, I'm very interested to see how BFME2 does on the 360.

Attach a keyboard an mouse and u got an RTS!

I doubt it'll work properly though. :p

Another problem with consoles is sooner or later they will become outdated. Just wait and see at the end of the year, the latest gfx cards then will by far outstrip the xbox360.

When games are designed for consoles, they are made to give maximum performance for the particular hardware.
HOwever, when games are made for PC, It is kept in mind that the game works on atleast one generation older card, otherwise no one would buy it.
Hence, you may have the latest card, but games utilizing those new features would release only a year or 2 afterwards.By that thim a new console will be released.
Hence 'becomming old/outstrip' like issues never surface in case of game quality of consoles.

A case in point is PS2 features (pixel shader/vertex shader 2.0)games utilizing these feature were not implemented about 2yrs time since PS2 features were supported by graphics cards.

blackleopard92 said:
When games are designed for consoles, they are made to give maximum performance for the particular hardware.
HOwever, when games are made for PC, It is kept in mind that the game works on atleast one generation older card, otherwise no one would buy it.
Hence, you may have the latest card, but games utilizing those new features would release only a year or 2 afterwards.By that thim a new console will be released.
Hence 'becomming old/outstrip' like issues never surface in case of game quality of consoles.

A case in point is PS2 features (pixel shader/vertex shader 2.0)games utilizing these feature were not implemented about 2yrs time since PS2 features were supported by graphics cards.

Well, I disagree. There's been a 5 year gap between the release of the Ps2 and the Ps3. By 2003, or even 2002, the PS2 was already outdated, compared to the latest cards out at that time. Just you wait, this time next year the PCs will by far outdo the 360, perhaps even the PS3.

Also, you say that "It is kept in mind that the game works on atleast one generation older card, otherwise no one would buy it" . Yes, that is kept in mind. That's why ingame you can go to options and lower the graphical settings for it to run on your computer. Someone with a 7800GT, for example, would set it all to Ultra high, while someone with a 5200 or a 9600 would set it to medium, or even low. Take AoE3 for instance. At low settings it can run on even some of the older cards, while on ultra high the graphics are just breathtaking.

gold639 said:

Yes, I agree with you. Im a big fan of RTS's and they wouldn't be as good on a console.

PC: RTS, some sport games. Only action/shooter game I really like on PC is, Unreal Tournament.

Console: Sport, FPS/action games

Sure the graphics might be just a little bit better on the PS3 at the start but when new hardware comes out...:p

Cowburn199 said:
Sure the graphics might be just a little bit better on the PS3 at the start but when new hardware comes out...:p

My point exactly. :)

gold639 said:
Well, I disagree. There's been a 5 year gap between the release of the Ps2 and the Ps3. By 2003, or even 2002, the PS2 was already outdated, compared to the latest cards out at that time. Just you wait, this time next year the PCs will by far outdo the 360, perhaps even the PS3.

Also, you say that "It is kept in mind that the game works on atleast one generation older card, otherwise no one would buy it" . Yes, that is kept in mind. That's why ingame you can go to options and lower the graphical settings for it to run on your computer. Someone with a 7800GT, for example, would set it all to Ultra high, while someone with a 5200 or a 9600 would set it to medium, or even low. Take AoE3 for instance. At low settings it can run on even some of the older cards, while on ultra high the graphics are just breathtaking.

Now mate, let gamespot clear it up for u.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6125087/index.html?type=tech

Cowburn199 said:

Games utilizing new hardware will take time to come, maybe 1yr or so.

Let's just run this down for you. My laptop can surf the web wirelessly, play some games on their highest settings and help me do my homework with all the handy Microsoft programs I have. :cool:

The XBox 360 will be just concentrating on my game all the time, it won't be making sure the internet is still working AND my game is going at the same time. It will just be concentrating on my game, which is great for performance! :)

SkateBoarder said:
Let's just run this down for you. My laptop can surf the web wirelessly, play some games on their highest settings and help me do my homework with all the handy Microsoft programs I have. :cool:

Hey! I am not debating console v PC. :shout

I am just trying to clear old notions up( which, frankly I also had)

Why do u think I use PC for. :cool:

SkateBoarder said:
The XBox 360 will be just concentrating on my game all the time, it won't be making sure the internet is still working AND my game is going at the same time. It will just be concentrating on my game, which is great for performance! :)

this results in very high level of performance.
Hence xbox can play games which equivalent PC graphics card wouldn't dare.

Gamespot...pffft, I don't believe Gamespot. :p

Anyway, I just skimmed through that article. It says the Ps3 will incorporate a 3.2 Ghz processor. Well, Athlon are releasing quad-core processors soon, and that will decimate this PS3 processor. Then they say that it has the graphical power of 2 6800 GTs put together. Well unless I'm much mistaken the latest PC card out there, the 7900, is way ahead of the 6800GT, and with SLI technology you can have 2 7900s in there.

I'm not bringing down the PS3 or anything. For a console it is just amazing, I'm just trying to say that consoles will never overtake PCs. For a few months, yes, perhaps the Ps3 will be ahead of PCs, but not for long. :p

Anyway, I just skimmed through that article. It says the Ps3 will incorporate a 3.2 Ghz processor. Well, Athlon are releasing quad-core processors soon, and that will decimate this PS3 processor.

Let me set it straight.
PS3 uses cell technology.Don't confuse clock speed with performance.

AMD processors haven't broken 2.8 mark.Quad core processors?what are u talkin about?The next in line is AMD M2, which differs from previous by only supporting DDR2.

the cell technology uses 8 sub cores to process . hence massive parallelism.And I don't think anybody in the world is going to have 8 processors in his system.

Then they say that it has the graphical power of 2 6800 GTs put together. Well unless I'm much mistaken the latest PC card out there, the 7900, is way ahead of the 6800GT, and with SLI technology you can have 2 7900s in there.

Graphic processing/routing is done through driver in PC that is software level.While in PS3 , or consoles in general, games can interact directly with hardware reducing latency to a large extent.this results in gaming power that even next line of GeForce can't match on PC.
Games are optimised for console write down to hardware level, hence getting max efficieny, also the console dosen't have a Operating system level to take precious clock cycles.While PC has Windows to take it all.

I'm not bringing down the PS3 or anything. For a console it is just amazing, I'm just trying to say that consoles will never overtake PCs. For a few months, yes, perhaps the Ps3 will be ahead of PCs, but not for long.

This statement was true before release of Xbox 360/PS3.
Everybody in hardware world acknowledges that times have changed.

A multitasking system can't hope to win over single dedicated system

Users who are viewing this thread