You'll Never Walk Alone -- The End...

de8gu1.jpg

Last updated: 21st December, 2009

Torres sets sights on the Treble

2v0ixwn.jpg

Torres scored twice recently against Villa

Fernando Torres believes Liverpool have the ability to secure the treble this season which was done by their arch rivals Manchester United ten years ago.

Jose Mourinho's side are first in the Premier League, through to the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League and face Barnsley in the third round of the FA Cup in January.

And Fernando Torres is confident that Liverpool have enough resources to mount a charge on all three fronts. "I believe [the treble is a realistic possibility]. I'm at one of the biggest clubs in Europe and I must think like that," he told SkySports News. "I play for Liverpool, where you always have a big chance to win trophies and this year we've got the opportunity to win everything. We've got the players, the manager and the set-up to win it all."

Torres went on to insist that he was not disheartened after missing out on Fifa's World Player of the Year award to FC Barcelona's Lionel Messi. "I want to win more individual trophies and I want to win the domestic ones again," he continued. "I started to play professional football a few years ago and I've had time to play and think about my career. I try to do better and I want to win everything!"

de8gu1.jpg

Last updated: 26th December, 2009

2ecgj8z.png

Liverpool survived a scare before staying at the Premiership summit with a narrow win against Fulham in an entertaining clash at Anfield.

Steven Gerrard's stunning free-kick and Javier Mascherano's finish put Liverpool two up inside 20 minutes. But Nwankwo Kanu pulled one back for Fulham before half-time and Zoltan Gera headed an equaliser five minutes after the interval to stun Liverpool. Kuyt slid home an 82nd-minute winner, while Fulham's Fredrick Stoor saw red for fouling Ryan Babel.

Liverpool opened in a fashion that suggested it was going to be a harrowing afternoon for Fulham - but Roy Hodgson's side showed real reserves of strength. The Reds went ahead in the ninth minute when Oliver Dacourt was penalised for a foul on Stephen Appiah.

Liverpool felt hard done by because Fabio Aurelio curled in a brilliant finish just seconds after referee Steve Bennett blew for the free-kick. It was only a brief reprieve for Fulham as Gerrard rifled home an unstoppable free-kick, the ball flying to the right of keeper Mark Schwarzer and in off the post.

Fulham were in further trouble after 18 minutes when Mascherano took advantage of more hesitant defending to stab Fernando Torres' cross beyond Mark Schwarzer.

The visitors were fortunate not to fall three behind seven minutes later when Appiah swept home Alexis Sanchez's cross, only for the goal to be ruled out for what appeared to be a very debatable offside flag against Dirk Kuyt.

But Fulham somehow managed to build on these shaky foundations and pulled a goal back after 28 minutes. Pepe Reina raced out of goal to halt Gera, but the rebound fell kindly for Kanu, who finished in composed fashion.

Liverpool continued to dominate before the interval and could have restored their two-goal advantage, Schwarzer doing well to turn over another powerful Gerrard drive and Agger heading wastefully wide when unmarked.

Fulham hung on and were rewarded with an equaliser five minutes after the interval as Gera rose to head Clint Dempsey's cross past Reina.

Liverpool were suddenly in danger of failing to win a game they had dominated, and they were frustrated again after 59 minutes when Jamie Carragher's brilliant rising drive from 30 yards rebounded to safety off an upright.

Fulham suddenly saw an unlikely point in sight, but survived another scare 15 minutes from time when Kuyt's cross found substitute Ryan Babel at the far post only for the Dutchman to miss his kick horribly.

Babel made amends by finally unlocking Fulham's brave resistance after 82 minutes, sliding in a neat pass for Kuyt to steer a left-foot finish past Schwarzer.

Fulham were still refusing to lie down, with substitute Bobby Zamora bringing a fine save from Reina and Gera shooting across the face of goal with the Liverpool keeper out of position following a fine run by Dempsey. The visitors then lost Stoor for a wild tackle on Kuyt before Babel hit a post in the dying seconds.

__________________________________________________​
Liverpool boss Jose Mourinho: "After 18 minutes, the game looked to be easy and maybe we convinced ourselves of that as well. Part of our mental focus went and when you do that at this level, you pay for it. At the end of the day it was a good lesson for us, because again we still found the resources which showed that there is something in the team which is really strong."

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson: "If you get off to a poor start, you think that it could be five or six. But we stayed in the game and got a decent first goal. There was some very good play. The lads gave it their all, but you need a hell of a lot of luck to get positive results at these grounds. We had a bit, but not enough."

Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Agger, Carragher, Fabio Aurelio, Mascherano, Appiah(Camacho 87), Gerrard?(Lucas 87) Alexis Sanchez(Babel 60), Kuyt, Torres.
Subs Not Used: Diego, Riera, Skrtel, Dossena.

Booked: Agger.

Goals: Gerrard 8, Mascherano 18, Kuyt 82.

Fulham: Schwarzer, Stoor, Riggott, Hughes, de Cler, Davies(Kallio 77), Defour(Johnson 85), Dacourt?(Zamora 70), Dempsey, Gera, Kanu.
Subs Not Used: Zuberbuhler, Pantsill, Kelly, Omozusi.

Sent Off: Stoor (88).

Booked: Davies, Defour, Dacourt.

Goals: Kanu 28, Gera 51.

Att: 45,171.

Ref: S Bennett.

Man of the Match: Dirk Kuyt.

de8gu1.jpg

Last updated: 1st January, 2010

2rc3fc0.png

Liverpool boss Jose Mourinho and forward Fernando Torres have claimed December's Barclays Premier League awards. Anfield chief Mourinho has been crowned Barclays Manager of the Month with Torres named Barclays Player of the Month.

Liverpool recorded four consecutive wins in December, scoring 11 goals in the process and cementing their place at the top of the table and eight points ahead of second placed Manchester United.

Spain international striker Fernando Torres picked up the award for the second time after a successful month which saw him score a total of four goals, two against Blackburn Rovers and to against Aston Villa.

Mourinho has picked up the award for the sixth time, the third as Liverpool boss, after last receiving the accolade in September.

de8gu1.jpg

Last updated: 2nd January, 2010

jb7k02.png

FC Barcelona striker Lionel Messi has been named the Fifa World Player of the Year for 2009 during a glittering awards ceremony in Zurich. The Argentine superstar sees his achievements from the 2008/09 season rewarded with football's most prestigious individual honour.

He has already claimed the FIFPro World Player of the Year title and the highly-regarded Ballon d'Or crown, but has now added the top prize to his ever-growing roll of honour.

Messi scored an incredible 38 goals for Pep Guardiola's men last term and also has 18 assists to his name, helping them to do the treble by winning the La Liga, Copa del Rey and the Uefa Champions League.

The 22-year-old becomes the sixth player from FC Barcelona and the first Argentine to take the award and succeeds former Manchester United and now Real Madrid winger Cristiano Ronaldo as the best player on the planet.

Lionel Messi fended off competition from the likes of second-placed Steven Gerrard, third-placed Cristiano Ronaldo, Fernando Torres and Xavi Hernandez. Messi said: "It's a dream come true for me to get this award and I would like to dedicate this to my family.

"It's also true that the manager [Pepe Guardiola] and the whole staff of Barcelona always have an important role to play. It was a great season for me and for my club, and the team was important for me as I learn a lot from them.

"This is the best individual award I have ever won in my life. I'm happy and proud about what has been done by my team and what we have won. I am lucky to be part of the history of a club like FC Barcelona."

In some other awards, Edwin Van Der Sar was named the goalkeeper of the year, while John Terry won the defender of the year, Steven Gerrard was named the midfielder of the year and finally Lionel Messi was given the forward of the year award.

de8gu1.jpg

Last updated: 3rd January, 2010

2mo82td.jpg

Liverpool progressed into the fourth round of the FA Cup but they were given a tough time by a brave Barnsley side at the Oakwell.

Maceo Rigters' header hit the bar for the hosts before Alexis Sanchez slotted home. Billy Mehmet and Andranik fired over as Barnsley rallied but Steve Foster had to hack off the line to clear Stephen Appiah's deflected header. Rigters saw red for a foul on Lucas on the hour and though the host battled away, Steven Gerrard sealed the win after Alexis Sanchez played him in.

Barnsley will now turn their thoughts towards improving their recent poor form in the Championship. But they will wonder what might have been after giving the Premier League leaders more than a run for their money with a performance that evoked memories of their shock third-round win over Liverpool in 2008.

They could have been in front as early as the sixth minute, when Rigters' firm header from Bobby Hassell's cross beat the Diego Cavalieri before bouncing back down off the woodwork.

Alexis Sanchez made the Tykes pay by tapping past David Preece for his after Mikel San Jose's excellent defence-splitting chipped pass. The home side showed tremendous spirit, and no shortage of style, as they took the game to their more illustrious opponents.

Mehmet was at the heart of most of their crisp passing movements and gave the Reds another scare when he fired just over. The danger of a swift Liverpool counter-attack was always present, however, and it needed a desperate clearance from Foster when Appiah's header from Camacho's corner was deflected goalwards by the outstanding Zak Whitebread.

Barnsley could still have gone in level had Andranik been more accurate from inside the box when Andrea Dossena could not control a deep cross from the impressive Rigters.

Liverpool, while never on the rack, should have had some breathing space in the 55th minute when Gerrard's flicked pass put Alexis Sanchez clear but, by his own high standards, the prolific Chile youngster shot surprisingly wide.

That actually came in the middle of another spell of Barnsley pressure, in which Mehmet, Rigters and Hugo Colace were regularly finding space to trouble the visitors' back four.

Andranik lost his marker to head Mehmet's free-kick over from six yards and the warning signs were there for the Reds. But Rigters' afternoon was over on the hour when he raised his studs while sliding in for a tackle on Lucas and referee Andre Marinner pulled out the red card without hesitation.

Somehow, it seemed to inspire Barnsley and, if anything, they poured forward with even more purpose, with Wallwork, Mehmet and Andranik buzzing all over the place. Martin Skrtel had to be at his best to prevent Kozluk from getting to Andranik's teasing cross.

It proved crucial as soon after Alexis Sanchez' simple yet devastating pass was weighted perfectly for Gerrard to take the ball wide of Preece and finish the game as a contest with 12 minutes left.

Alexis Sanchez could have added some gloss to the scoreline moments later but Preece thwarted him. A third goal would have been desperately harsh on a Barnsley side that acquitted itself admirably.

Barnsley: Preece, Foster(C), Whitebread, Nestor(Chorley 61), Kozluk, Hassell(El Haimour 80), Andranik, Colcae, Silva(Wallwork 62), Rigters, Mehmet.
Subs Not Used: Steele, Moore, Hammil, Bogdanovic.

Booked: Hugo Colace, Anderson Silva.

Sent Off: Rigters(61).

Liverpool: Diego, Darby, Skrtel, San Jose, Dossena, Camacho, Lucas(Gerrard 46), Appiah(C), N'Gog. El Zhar(Kuyt 81), Alexis Sanchez.
Subs Not Used: Reina, Carragher, Johnson, Mascherano, Torres.

Booked: San Jose.

Goals:
Alexis Sanchez 10, Gerrard 78.

Att: 23,176.

Ref: A Marinner.

Man of the Match: Alexis Sanchez.

`Nother great update, Shantanu. The Reds are looking strong in the FA Cup, good win against Barnsley as well, though they aren't the strongest of opponents. Lookin forward to the next update mate. KIU.

Great reporting and writing as always and an enjoyable read my friend. You are the best!:)

de8gu1.jpg

Last updated: 4th January, 2010

2gtc8y9.png

The 2005 FA Cup winners Arsenal face a tough trip to Premier League rivals Bolton Wanderers in the fourth round of the competition.

Premier League leaders Liverpool host championship side West Brom Albion at Anfield, as Manchester United host either championship Scunthrope or Cardiff City at Old Trafford.

FA Cup holders Chelsea face an easy trip to League one side Tranmere Rovers, while Tottenham host Brighton at White Hart Lane. Fulham will face League one side Noprwich City, as Aston Villa entertain Barrow.

The winner of Everton and Doncaster entertain the winner of Southened and Burnley, while the winner of championship sides Watford and Reading will face League One leaders Southampton.

West Ham face a tricky tie to championship side Coventry City, as the huge spenders Manchester City face fellow Premier League rivals Sunderland the Staium of Light.

Swansea entertain fellow championship side Crystal Palace, while Bristol City face Derby County at Pride Park. Robertpo Martinez's Wigan travel to Loftus Road to Queen Park Rangers.

Sheffield Wednesday will travel to either St James Park or Molineux to face either Newcastle United or Wolves and finally the winner Middlesbrough or Stoke City will face the winner of Leicester City or Charlton Athletic.

Man Utd v Scunthrope or Cardiff
Tranmere v Chelsea
Newcastle or Wolves v Sheff Wed
Liverpool v West Brom
Aston Villa v Barrow
Watford or Reading v Southampton
Everton or Doncaster v Southened or Burnley
Coventry v West Ham
Fulham v Norwich
Tottenham v Brighton
Swansea v Crystal Palace
Sunderland v Man City
Q.P.R v Wigan
Bolton v Arsenal
Middlesbrough or Stoke v Leicester or Charlton
Derby v Bristol City.

Last edited:

de8gu1.jpg

Last updated: 4th January, 2010

2gtc8y9.png

The 2005 FA Cup winners Arsenal face a tough trip to Premier League rivals Bolton Wanderers in the fourth round of the competition.

Premier League leaders Liverpool host championship side West Brom Albion at Anfield, as Manchester United host either championship Scunthrope or Cardiff City at Old Trafford.

FA Cup holders Chelsea face an easy trip to League one side Tranmere Rovers, while Tottenham host Brighton at White Hart Lane. Fulham will face League one side Noprwich City, as Aston Villa entertain Barrow.

The winner of Everton and Doncaster entertain the winner of Southened and Burnley, while the winner of championship sides Watford and Reading will face League One leaders Southampton.

West Ham face a tricky tie to championship side Coventry City, as the huge spenders Manchester City face fellow Premier League rivals Sunderland the Staium of Light.

Swansea entertain fellow championship side Crystal Palace, while Bristol City face Derby County at Pride Park. Robertpo Martinez's Wigan travel to Loftus Road to Queen Park Rangers.

Sheffield Wednesday will travel to either St James Park or Molineux to face either Newcastle United or Wolves and finally the winner Middlesbrough or Stoke City will face the winner of Leicester City or Charlton Athletic.

Man Utd v Scunthrope or Cardiff
Tranmere v Chelsea
Newcastle or Wolves v Sheff Wed
Liverpool v Barrow
Aston Villa v Barrow
Watford or Reading v Southampton
Everton or Doncaster v Southened or Burnley
Coventry v West Ham
Fulham v Norwich
Tottenham v Brighton
Swansea v Crystal Palace
Sunderland v Man City
Q.P.R v Wigan
Bolton v Arsenal
Middlesbrough or Stoke v Leicester or Charlton
Derby v Bristol City.

Easy win for the Reds against the Baggies. By the way without wishing to be pedantic you have got Liverpool playing Barrow in your list!:)

Thank you guys for your support and replies. It is really great that you guys are following this story. It really increases my confidence and makes me write more. Thank You again. Keep them coming.

Some updates coming soon...

I see you corrected it, West Brom, should be a pretty easy win, which should mean that Liverpool`s FA Cup campaign, continues successfully. Looking forward to the next update buddy.

Users who are viewing this thread