Your Player Cards

Has anybody created the Kerry Packer Series? I would love to play in that tournament. I guess it could also be fun to play against the 1970?s Springbok cricket team that was boycotted. Some South Africans believe it was there best ever Test side. Or if someone has created the late seventies and early eighties South African domestic season, I?m definitely interested. I can?t wait to face Clive Rice?s Transvaal Mean Machine!

Has anybody created the Kerry Packer Series? I would love to play in that tournament. I guess it could also be fun to play against the 1970?s Springbok cricket team that was boycotted. Some South Africans believe it was there best ever Test side. Or if someone has created the late seventies and early eighties South African domestic season, I?m definitely interested. I can?t wait to face Clive Rice?s Transvaal Mean Machine!

i did ask ross if he would consider putting in the union of south africa flag for creating the "banned" team or rebel tours etc. he said he wouldn't be opposed to it, so i don't know if it will appear in a later CA update.

there are plenty of players from those eras on CA too. I made Vincent Van Der Bijl myself.

I enjoyed the series for what it was, an interesting drama loosely based on events, Bradman's friends tell me the presentation of Bradman's view on the one day game was far from correct.

We were the underdogs in the Cricket game war, we certainly used the series in the office as encouragement that we could battle through and win against the "establishment" being Ashes 2013.

As an aside, my son in law Ben was in the series, they attached fake sideburns to his face and had him play as an Indian batsman.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the series for what it was, an interesting drama loosely based on events, Bradman's friends tell me the presentation of Bradman's view on the one day game was far from correct.

We were the underdogs in the Cricket game war, we certainly used the series in the office as encouragement that we could battle through and win against the "establishment" being Ashes 2013.

As an aside, my son in law Ben was in the series, they attached fake sideburns to his face and had him play as an Indian batsman.

I watched the first episode on BBC and enjoyed it a lot so I downloaded the second episode immediately.

From memory they never even mentioned Bradman's name. They made it obvious whom hey were referring to, but his presence was always shrouded in mystery. If his portrayed negative view on the game was indeed so inaccurate, then I suppose they didn't have permission and hence didn't use the name.

If you have a look at the CA created teams, you will notice a 1970's/1980's South African squad by Mzombo. Ignoring the raft of SA players who represented England during this period, I've assembled what would be the likely team.

I do admit to pinching a few players already created from the WSC created squads, but I've included a few of my own (like Jimmy Cook, Henry Fotheringham & Ray Jennings) to round out the squad.

In addition, I've also created my own late 70's WSC Australian, West Indian & World XI teams for good measure.

----------

I made Vincent Van Der Bijl myself.

Was that you? I thought his likeness was very good. Well done mate.

cheers - yeah, i was quite happy with him. i made him for my barbarians team: players i like but didn't fit into any other team.

will definitely check out your WSC teams

@ross - what about the union of south africa flag? will that be in this CA update or a later one? since it is a big part of cricket history.

It's in there, I have to decide to unlock it or not. I want to be sensitive to any objections there may be.

I am quite ignorant of the details and whether it would upset people if used inappropriately.

yeah... it is a tricky one.

i certainly won't cry if you decide not to unlock it because i can understand why people might not like the idea, particularly at the moment.

thanks anyway.

A very tricky question. The flag predates apartheid yet is still associated with apartheid, even though a lot of foreigners perhaps just learnt this by watching invictus.

I'd personally avoid it. You have very little to gain and potentially a fair bit to lose. At best it will just add a touch of authenticity to some teams that will be rarely used by few people. How are the flags even used in the game? Do people wave them in the crowd or is it just something you see on the menu and perhaps scoreboards?

At worst, it will be advertised by ignorant people as a racist blunder, and create some negative press. They'd probably even reference Mandela's recent death just to amp up the articles. This flag is never seen outside of a historical context, and whilst I know that is what the game would be presenting, by being a video game it doesn't have as much credence in that regard as a documentary or movie.

Yeah, definitely a touchy subject. You would have to be careful with it Ross.

It's in there, I have to decide to unlock it or not. I want to be sensitive to any objections there may be.

I am quite ignorant of the details and whether it would upset people if used inappropriately.

I'm a South African, grew up in both eras,,,if its for the game I don't see a problem with it, its part of our history, and history is an intergral part of our present and future, don't see any problem with it, I don't know what will my South African brothers here feel about it

I'm a South African, grew up in both eras,,,if its for the game I don't see a problem with it, its part of our history, and history is an intergral part of our present and future, don't see any problem with it, I don't know what will my South African brothers here feel about it

I agree it is part of our history I say unlock it.

Could people use it in an offensive way? Would it be offensive for people to make the current team with that flag? (As in not recognise the accepted national one?)

Obviously with Mandela passing it could also allow people to make something from nothing to get a headline. I am leaning towards keeping it locked.

I am unfortunately very ignorant of the debate (if any), SA is one of the very few countries I've never visited.

Users who are viewing this thread