4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Paul Collingwood (c)
6. Luke Wright
7. Dimitri Mascarenhas
8. Andrew Flintoff
9. Graeme Swann
10. Stuart Broad
11. James Anderson

Rob Key has an average List A record and is in average 50 over form this season - what makes you think that he will excel at international level, especially with a poor ODI record (albeit 5 games) under his belt. As much as I love him, Anderson over Sidebottom should simply not be an option. Mascarenhas at seven might be a bit much too, especially with the openers having poor List A records and number 6 not the most consistent scorer. India have shown that a long lower order is not as useful as it may seem to replace the lower-middle order

Yeah i'm surprised by this sudden belief that Rob Key is England's batting saviour to be honest. If we were gonna give someone new a go i'd rather it be a younger talent like Joe Denly or someone of that kind.

Denly is a long way away from playing for England. Bell and Mustard would be my opening partnership. Gets me quite excited actually, I think they compliment each other well. Wright doesn't have the technique to be a pinch hitting opening batsman in international one day cricket. Much better with the older ball (like when he's bowling too).

I'm really liking Shah at the moment. Proved he can do it in almost any situation.

The run out incident hardly matters now, since New Zealand won the match. It was unsporting, not unlawful. Paul Collingwood has admitted he made the wrong decision in the heat of the moment, the two captains have made up and that is that.

More attention should be paid to the ridiculous way England lost. Graeme Swann did not even need to throw the ball at all, the batsmen would have been crazy to attempt another run so he should have just stood there with it and accepted the tie.

Wait, so now Swann is such a bad guy because he made a split decision in the game to throw the ball at the stumps to try win England the game, yet it's ok when Collingwood made his split decision not to withdraw the appeal. Isn't that kinda the same thing. Under the pressure of the match situation, both were just trying to get a wicket.

I was just reading the earlier posts before and after the first game, and how England were going to wipe the floor with us. Face it England will never be a good ODI team, they are just not good at giving guys chances and expect them to come off straight away. New Zealand will win this last game as I expect McCullum and Taylor to finally fire, and when they do we are capable of scoring 300+ easily.

As for England and their ODI series against South Africa, this is the team I would pick.

1.Phil Mustard
2.Ian Bell
3.Kevin Pietersen
4.Owais Shah
5.Paul Collingwood
6.Ravi Bopara
7.Luke Wright
8.Andrew Flintoff
9.Graeme Swann
10.Stuart Broad
11.Ryan Sidebottom

12.Dimitri Mascarenhas

If Bopara doesn't perform I would bring in Mascarenhas and move Flintoff up to six, and Mascarenhas would bat at eight. I can't imagine England would be bowled out with that team, you bat down to 11:cool:

I'd probably swap Bopara with Anderson. I don't think Bopara is international standard at the moment and England would be better off with another bowler. Maybe Mascarenhas, which makes batting a bit stronger and bowling a little weaker. That might be better. I do like the side you picked though. Flintoff needs to be picked for his bowling and not as an all-rounder however. So he has to be fit to bowl 10 to play and can bat at 7 or 8.

I was just reading the earlier posts before and after the first game, and how England were going to wipe the floor with us. Face it England will never be a good ODI team, they are just not good at giving guys chances and expect them to come off straight away. New Zealand will win this last game as I expect McCullum and Taylor to finally fire, and when they do we are capable of scoring 300+ easily.

As for England and their ODI series against South Africa, this is the team I would pick.

1.Phil Mustard
2.Ian Bell
3.Kevin Pietersen
4.Owais Shah
5.Paul Collingwood
6.Ravi Bopara
7.Luke Wright
8.Andrew Flintoff
9.Graeme Swann
10.Stuart Broad
11.Ryan Sidebottom

12.Dimitri Mascarenhas

If Bopara doesn't perform I would bring in Mascarenhas and move Flintoff up to six, and Mascarenhas would bat at eight. I can't imagine England would be bowled out with that team, you bat down to 11:cool:

I've seen alot of England to lately so I'll try my hand at naming there team for the ODI series against South Africa.

1.Phil Mustard
2.Ian Bell
3.Kevin Pieterson
4.Owais Shah
5.Paul Collingwood
6.Andrew Flintoff
7.Luke Wright
8.Dimitri Mascarenhas
9.Graeme Swann
10.Stuart Broad
11.Ryan Sidebottom

12.Ravi Bopara

For me Bopara doesn't look ready for international cricket just yet, and I would drop Anderson for Flintoff because Flinoff is a way better bowler.

1.Phil Mustard
2.Ian Bell
3.Kevin Pietersen
4.Owais Shah
5.Paul Collingwood
6.Andrew Flintoff
7.Luke Wright
8.Dimitri Mascarenhas
9.Graeme Swann
10.Stuart Broad
11.James Anderson

Flintoff isn't good enough to bat at 6. Bopara in for Mascarehas, put Ravi in at 6 and Flintoff at 8. I like that side, though.

Yeah i'm surprised by this sudden belief that Rob Key is England's batting saviour to be honest. If we were gonna give someone new a go i'd rather it be a younger talent like Joe Denly or someone of that kind.

Again though, Denly has nothing resembling a good List A record. 734 runs at 26.21 with a strike rate of 65.30. Andrew Strauss is the best option as an opener, in my opinion. Samit Patel is one who can be considered as an all rounder too, with a pretty good ODI strike rate of under 30, despite a rather poor economy rate. He is also a hard hitting batsman with a good record.

Phil Mustard
Ian Bell
Kevin Pietersen
Paul Collingwood
Owais Shah
Ravi Bopara
Andrew Flintoff
Graeme Swann
Stuart Broad
Ryan Sidebottom
Jimmy Anderson

This might be the side they'll pick for SA when everyone gets back. You have five bowlers there and that's crucial since you need to take wickets to win games plus there is batting to 9 in that side.

I've said from the start that Mustard has the talent and the ability to open in this aggressive role. He needed more of a chance to get used to international cricket. He has made runs in the Twenty20's this season and I feel once he gets a decent run in the England side, he will make runs because he does look like he's comfortable in that role.

It is a shame for Luke Wright but you have to leave him out for Flintoff if he is proven fit because of his ability as a bowler but Freddie will want to improve his batting if he can.

Actually I do agree with that team, there's no real weakness, I'd like Wright in but he needs to go back to county cricket and really learn his game and England should try and encourage Sussex to allow him to open in OD cricket if that's the role they wish him to take in the side. Wright's definitely a good prospect for the future though, good in the field, useful with the ball and a powerful hitter. If he could gain consistency with the bat he'd be immense.

In Collys absence Trott needs to come in, averaging about 80 or something stupid this year and averages over 40 in OD cricket, he must be the only player in England to do that. His average is better than everyones apart from KPs anyway. Just because he's not next in line for the tests doesn't mean he shouldn't be picked for the ODI's.

Again though, Denly has nothing resembling a good List A record. 734 runs at 26.21 with a strike rate of 65.30.

The promise is there for him in the future but he hasn't had the consistency yet to be picked for this level.

Andrew Strauss is the best option as an opener, in my opinion.

Agreed. He's quite unlucky really because he was messed around the order a little and someone who can aggressive while playing good cricket shots.

Samit Patel is one who can be considered as an all rounder too, with a pretty good ODI strike rate of under 30, despite a rather poor economy rate. He is also a hard hitting batsman with a good record.

He's been impressive because although he's a batting all rounder, he has been bowling a lot in all competitions this season and has had success. In a few years I would hope that the selectors have a look at him for ODI's because his all round ability is really coming on.

Users who are viewing this thread