New Zealand tour of England - May/June 2015

D

Dutch

But then if we could play a 10 over game, would a target of 58 (or whatever is the same run rate) make sense? Of course not. It's a balance. The way I look at it, is a par score. If 300 is par for 50 overs, then it's a decent pitch, so say 160 would be par for a T20 game. So it makes more sense to me.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but the thing is you feel a much different type of pressure knowing you suddenly have to score at that run rate and dont have time to get yourself in....[DOUBLEPOST=1434820124][/DOUBLEPOST]Although with a shot like Roy just played we deserve all we get..............

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think they did have time to get themselves in though. We've seen in this series that England haven't started slowly. They've scored at 6 an over or so and that would have been a good start for the first 8 or so overs. It's just panicked batting that's been the issue. But then I think playing like this, we were always going to fall in a heap at one stage, so it's hard to be too critical.

D

Dutch

Chance for Billings and Bairstow to make a case for themselves now....

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Great knock from Bairstow. Properly clutch innings. I thought Billings did well too though, so gonna be a tough decision between those two for the next series.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
What a great end to a great series, just slightly marred by the weather today which was a shame although I really enjoyed the McCullum interview during the break as a result. I've got a lot of admiration for Brendon!

I don't usually have much interest in the one-dayers but have been riveted throughout this one. It's amazing to think where England were a couple of months ago and where there are now, the future looks very bright. Fair play to Bairstow, that was a great knock from him and once again a mention has to be given to New Zealand for their part in such a memorable few weeks and the spirit in which the cricket has been played. I think England have learnt a hell of a lot from them and I will definitely be following them far more from now on.

I do wonder how long it will take the Aussies to bring England down to their level attitude wise. I love a bit of sledging and aggro personally but it's been so refreshing to watch two very competitive teams not have to resort to such measures.

I'm really beginning to think that Rashid should be our spinner for the tests. He offers so much more than Ali in my opinion, today he bowled a couple of absolute jaffas and appears to bowl intelligently in general and has good variations.

Another good interview on now with Adam Gilchrist. Definitely glad he won't be playing in this coming Ashes!

War

Chairman of Selectors
Refreshing summer from England. Still have some issues with the test team, but the ODI team was superb. This telegraph article aptly describes the revival - England attacking revolution inspired by empowering players and casting off data-driven caution - Telegraph

England could have easily played this team 6 months before the world cup.

Based on ODI series effort, Rashid has to play over Mooen & Finn the third seamer.

AUS might attack Rashid just as Moeen, but Rashid if he gets the right scenario/conditions could actually bring ENG close to winning a test.

Finn is this kind of form is better wicket-taking third paceman than Wood or Jordan.

bigred

Club Captain
Refreshing summer from England. Still have some issues with the test team, but the ODI team was superb. This telegraph article aptly describes the revival - England attacking revolution inspired by empowering players and casting off data-driven caution - Telegraph

England could have easily played this team 6 months before the world cup.

Based on ODI series effort, Rashid has to play over Mooen & Finn the third seamer.

AUS might attack Rashid just as Moeen, but Rashid if he gets the right scenario/conditions could actually bring ENG close to winning a test.

Finn is this kind of form is better wicket-taking third paceman than Wood or Jordan.

I think Wood is a better bowler than Finn. I think Jordan has gone way down in the queue.

I wonder if Footitt has gone to Spain so that our batsman get some left arm practise. Would be amazed if he played a test.

D

Dutch

I think Wood is a better bowler than Finn. I think Jordan has gone way down in the queue.

I wonder if Footitt has gone to Spain so that our batsman get some left arm practise. Would be amazed if he played a test.
Just in terms of putting the ball where he wants it Wood is above Finn....

War

Chairman of Selectors
I don't know fellas, i'd more say Wood is the one still that has more issues putting the ball where he wants to than Finn.

Finn in the ODI series looked closer to the Finn at his best, which is the best 3rd seamer in ENG behind Anderson/Broad.

Wood based on his test/ODI series bowling vs NZ - is not yet IMO ready to be that wicket-taking 3rd seamer in the Ashes.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Awkward selection dilemna tomorrow then, with Bairstow added to the squad Vince is presumably being pointless dragged away to carry the drinks around, but what do we do about Bairstow with Buttler now coming back in?

bigred

Club Captain
Awkward selection dilemna tomorrow then, with Bairstow added to the squad Vince is presumably being pointless dragged away to carry the drinks around, but what do we do about Bairstow with Buttler now coming back in?

I thought ECB have said they are not going to risk Buttler before the ashes?

Vince wouldn't have played anyway had Buttler been fit, so it's not really changing anything. Farbrace was always going to reward the 7 batters that played the ODIs.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I thought ECB have said they are not going to risk Buttler before the ashes?

Vince wouldn't have played anyway had Buttler been fit, so it's not really changing anything. Farbrace was always going to reward the 7 batters that played the ODIs.

Only just read that, thought Bairstow had been added in addition to Buttler initially. Presumably we'll just be unchanged then.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I can't remember the last time an ODI series has had the cricket-watching public here excited like that one did. Great stuff. I expected us to lose the series - as did most, I'm sure - though I wasn't thinking 5-0. For the team to improve so dramatically from the World Cup horror show deserves a lot of credit.

The bowling still isn't good enough for me, but the batsmen can't be criticised. To hit 3,000 over five matches is some achievement. I'm still surprised how easily we chased down 350 at Trent Bridge. And on Saturday the old England would have collapsed to 120 all out. For Jonny Bairstow to come in having not played a part in the series until that point and do what he did was tremendous.

It's been a pleasure having New Zealand here. It's been a great contest. Hopefully the Twenty20 will serve up another treat tonight before we play that lot on the 8th.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
I don't know fellas, i'd more say Wood is the one still that has more issues putting the ball where he wants to than Finn.

Finn in the ODI series looked closer to the Finn at his best, which is the best 3rd seamer in ENG behind Anderson/Broad.

Wood based on his test/ODI series bowling vs NZ - is not yet IMO ready to be that wicket-taking 3rd seamer in the Ashes.

The thing with Wood though is the pace he generates from such a short run-up which hurries a batsman and because of this he offers England something different. It remains to be seen whether he can maintain this for five tests though.

Now Finn's pace has come down he's not that different to Broad . He was much improved in the ODI's for sure and can see him playing a part in the Ashes if somebody picks up an injury or is struggling particularly with the ball. I'm positive he will be ahead of Jordan currently.

Users who are viewing this thread