Emerging Players Tournament 2008

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Congrats to the Kiwis, chased down 281 with 4 overs to spare. O'Keefe did well for AIS with a 40 odd and an economical 10 overs. Ryder did well for the Kiwis, didn't know he could bowl too.

Warner backed up his good knock with another 80 this match, we again changed our orders massively.

irottev

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Great to see James Franklin back bowling. 2-11 off 6 overs. Great return for him. Really good news. Ryder was also great with the ball. He hasn't really fired with the bat yet. Hopefully he can get a nice big knock in there to put him in good form for the Champs Trophy and the Pakistan series if it goes ahead.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
South Africa Emerging Players vs National Cricket Academy at Albury Oval, Sandgate

NCA 5/315 (50.0)
Dhawan 184 n.o.
Kohli 51
Mbhalati 3/72

SAEP 7/314 (50.0)
Khan 121
Davids 115
Singh 2/51
Gony 2/54

A thriller with the Indians defending 315 by 1 run. It was again not consistent runs down the order, with only Raina and Nayar chipping in useful scores, but another incredible performance was the focus; Dhawan scored 184 carrying his bat. Even on a high scoring pitch, that's a gun effort. The South Africans followed up with big runs from the top of the order, but the middle order struggled to push the pace, with Gony, Mishra and Pankaj Singh fighting back.

Australia Centre for Excellence vs New Zealand Emerging Players at Allan Border Field, Albion

ACE 7/281 (50.0)
Warner 89 n.o.
Hastings 57 n.o.
O'Keefe 47
Ryder 3/43
Franklin 2/11

NZEP 5/282 (45.3)
Broom 94
Watling 64 n.o.
Anderson 52 n.o.
Wagh 2/55

Some tight new ball bowling from the rather well emerged James Franklin helped bring the home side to 4/37, but the long batting order recovered to post a good score. However, it proved not enough, the total being chased with 27 balls to spare. Although the openers were taken cheaply, the NZ middle order was stronger today, punishing several bowlers. Very promising signs for NZ management, who will be keen to harvest new players.

Arunava

Club Captain
till now all teams have looked very competitive and equal. good to see that.. i am very pleased by this.
and Yo Shikhar you're the man. .i always knew you have the x factor to do well at the top level. i hope to see you playing for India soon as first down in Indian squad. .that will be 3 dilliwalas at the top :D

Last edited:

Animator!

School Cricketer
I've played with and against 2 guys playing in this tournament. I played with Henry Davids (South Africa) at my club about of years ago, absolutely fantastic guy.

I played against Hamish Bennett (Kiwi quick) earlier this year. He was absolutely like lightning. He was also a total tool.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
And they still only managed 300 odd :p
Good to see Hasting get a go and perform alright. Bowling is where he should be more stronger.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hmmm NSW have some interesting selection problems. Both Warner and O'Keefe have been going really well in this tournament. That Doropoulos has also been a real find this tournament.

Bit shocked to see NZ top the table, thought India were a shoe in for that. Anyway should be a cracker between the two rivals.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I think their only selection issues should involve international players. By rights, I don't think the likes of Cowan, Mail or Lambert can be much competition, while Thornely's place in a one day team can't be secure. They might have a couple more openers than they need, but that is balanced by a very weak middle order.

Warner has probably made a claim for being an asset, but he did play in NSW's last game, scoring a 50 that would surely have seen him at the front of the pack for next season. O'Keefe was also playing and seems to be settling. Nicholson will be gone next season, which opens up room for Henriques to play a key role rather than just playing as a spare part and possibly get some time in the middle order ahead of Daniel Smith, Hauritz or O'Keefe.

angryangy added 0 Minutes and 58 Seconds later...

I think their only selection issues should involve international players. By rights, I don't think the likes of Cowan, Mail or Lambert can be much competition, while Thornely's place in a one day team can't be secure. They might have a couple more openers than they need, but that is balanced by a very weak middle order.

Warner has probably made a claim for being an asset, but he did play in NSW's last game, scoring a 50 that would surely have seen him at the front of the pack for next season. O'Keefe was also playing and seems to be settling. Nicholson will be gone next season, which opens up room for Henriques to play a key role rather than just playing as a spare part and possibly get some time in the middle order ahead of Daniel Smith, Hauritz or O'Keefe.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Congratulations to the Black Caps for taking out the title. So once again the AIS has been unable to win the title. Ryder bowled an economical spell with 3 wickets to setup a easy enough chase. They cruised home in the end with 4 overs remaining.

In the end it was a good tournament for O'Keefe especially with the bat. Warner and Forrest contributed again. But disappointing not to see Henriques in the side unless he was injured. Khawaja didn't have his both tournament nor did Wade.
Bowling wise I have no idea what our selectors were doing with all these all rounders.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Pretty sad that they didnt televise this event.Also,Cricinfo too hasnt covered it with great enthusiasm.

Users who are viewing this thread