Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm talking about the test side tbh :p

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
He was given far too many chances and IIRC he scored only a half century in the last 10-15 appearances he made for NZ

I reckon McGlashan would do better job than Broom

McGlashan in test cricket...? :p
I assume you though Chewie was talking about ODIs.

Broom was one of the many players that our selectors have tweaked around, the guy should have never been near 6/7 in ODI cricket. I wouldn't mind seeing him in test cricket now, his game improved a lot of the previous summer, and IIRC his FC form has been strong for multiple seasons. You get the feeling that the selectors might fearsome tweak him around again and stick him in at three though, I just hope that doesn't happen.

Chewie

BCCI President
He wouldn't do badly at 3 either really

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Game turned out to be quite interesting, NZ just missing out on their target. Bit of a shame Maxwell didn't go on to make a 100. Ended up being a good match for Keath and Beaton.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
He wouldn't do badly at 3 either really

I disagree, I don't think he's good enough atm the bat at three in test matches. I hope if he does bat there he can prove me wrong, but I think if he does bat there his test record might end up looking like his ODI record.

Chewie

BCCI President
He bats at 4 domestically and does well. Batting him at 3 would allow Williamson time down at 6 before moving up to 3

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Yes, but the gap between test cricket and New Zealand FC cricket is immense. Williamson bats at three domestically, so putting him at 6 and then batting Broom at three makes no sense whatsoever.

Another argument is the second opener, Guptill or Watling, or both? If they want to play both of them, then one will have to bat at three, so they'll be no room for Broom anyway, assuming they want to persist with Williamson. The other contracted fringe batsmen is Flynn, who'll also be pushing for that number three spot.

It's still another three months until our next match anyway. The Rugby World Cup's before then to look froward to. :yes

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
The other contracted fringe batsmen is Flynn, who'll also be pushing for that number three spot.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, whoever comes into the test team between Flynn and Broom will bat at six IMO, neither of the two have a good enough defensive technique to bat at three - especially Flynn. Him playing at three for New Zealand was the major reason in his test downfall as he'd looked more than comfortable down the order when he first came into the team, you could see him fighting with himself trying to be a player he just wasn't.

It would of been nice to give Kane Williamson more time down the order but with our current batting depth that just isn't possible, he's the best option for New Zealand at three and must play there IMO - even if it's a little tougher for him.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Point taken regarding Flynn, but he was batting at three in FC cricket last season and he's batting at three in this tournament, which is why I said he'd be pushing for the number three spot.

Watling, Broom, and Flynn appear to be playing for one spot anyway, providing they persist with McCullum and Guptill opening. Tbh I don't actually think Vettori's a good enough test bowler atm to be holding down one of the four bowling spots, so whether they push him up to six again and bring in another bowling all-rounder at eight is another kettle of fish. It really comes down to whether we need another bowler to beat Aussie, or is Vettori, three pace bowlers, plus the part-timers good enough, or just pack our batting and somewhat play for draws.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Interesting we haven't played some of the stars from the previous match including Starc and Keath. Not often you see two bowlers with 5 wickets but SA did just that. Got done by Pienaar a left arm fast bowler and Abbot a medium pacer.

cricketmad09

International Coach
Probably a rotation policy. The centre of excellence is about developing younger players so they're probably giving them all the opportunity to experience playing against the opposition.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Probably a rotation policy. The centre of excellence is about developing younger players so they're probably giving them all the opportunity to experience playing against the opposition.

Probably would have been better having this side play NZ and the side that played NZ playing SA. Would have given Starc and Keath a better indication of where they are at.

India Emerging Players v New Zealand A at Townsville, Aug 6-8, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Australian Institute of Sport v South Africa Emerging Players at Townsville, Aug 6-8, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Both teams from down under getting a spanking atm. The NZ and Indian sides are basically A sides so no real surprise seeing India being way ahead. Holland was the pick for AIS not much to write home about after him apart from the economy of Abbott.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
AIS just held on to the draw, Maxwell a quickfire 40 and Holland a 60 the scores of note. Too bad Holland performed in a FC match, if he did this in the 50 over format he'll be our next test spinner!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
A good start for NZ, Brownlie with a massive 100 giving NZ the chance to declare. The Aus side still struggling in the batting department outside of a couple of players. Was nice seeing Maddinson getting some runs. Beer got a game and lets just say he got smashed going at 8 an over with 49 runs in 6 overs. And that guy is meant to be our Test spinner!

Users who are viewing this thread