ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Hopefully EA will notice AC09 sales and then bring out there own version in the future because just like BLC 05 & 07 , 09 has dissapointed.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
In regards to them "revisiting the bowling speeds" you would have thought they would have done england first considering that they were one of only two licenced teams, call me cynical but i find it hard to believe

P

pcfan123

I've actually got something on the bowling speeds:

Thats a bloody poor excuse,You would never see a f1 video game give that excuse if the cars only go 60 mph in the game. They just know they can ████ all over us because we have no other option on next gen for cricket. They basically took advantage of their monopoly in the current market by putting out a half arsed effort on what could have been a fantastic product.

The lack of an online quitting system of some sort is the absolute worst. This game is meant to be played online (since the AI is ████) and they could not even get that right.

Fire the management before you put out the next version. Sorry lads but you had 3 fliping years to make this game, bloody pathetic.

England is bloody licensed in the game, its a god DAMN ashes cricket game, you think they would at least have the time to get the speeds right for Englands bowlers, or at least their spearhead (Jimmy).

Lame excuse from a lame developer and a lame production company.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dutch

Thats a bloody poor excuse,You would never see a f1 video game give that excuse if the cars only go 60 mph in the game. They just know they can ████ all over us because we have no other option on next gen for cricket. They basically took advantage of their monopoly in the current market by putting out a half arsed effort on what could have been a fantastic product.

The lack of an online quitting system of some sort is the absolute worst. This game is meant to be played online (since the AI is ████) and they could not even get that right.

Fire the management before you put out the next version. Sorry lads but you had 3 fliping years to make this game, bloody pathetic.

England is bloody licensed in the game, its a god DAMN ashes cricket game, you think they would at least have the time to get the speeds right for Englands bowlers, or at least their spearhead (Jimmy).

Thats not like you to sit on the fence, giving guarded answers, not being forthright! I wish you would be clearer so I would know what you are thinking.:laugh

Brook

Club Captain
Why do people keep complaining about individual player speeds? Obviously medium, medium fast and fast medium overall are about 10-15 mph out on every player. It's got nothing to do with getting individuals wrong...

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors

Now compare it with my post a day earlier:

This is a good post. I was criticised recently for "hating" this game on multiple threads. I'm entitled to my opinion even if it bugs you, and yes I do "hate" the game and what's been done with it!

Let me take Spitfire's post to another level. How do those guys at Transmission or Codemasters or whatever get to keep their jobs? I mean, if you were in an elevated position within the company and knew anything about cricket, wouldn't you sack the guy who allowed the AI runout bug? Wouldn't you sack the so-called programmers who failed to fix the bowling speeds and flat-out lied about it?

I know we are in an economic crisis and all, and this is a sensitive topic, but how these bozos get to keep their jobs is incomprehensible.

The most unfortunate part of it all is that they have gained anough sales to justify (in their minds) calling the product a success. Therefore, it is possible that they won't learn from their mistakes, keep selling faulty products and enough poor saps keep buying them.

Healthy competition. Healthy competition. Healthy competition. That's what we need. Once a a rival company releases a quality cricket game, causing the sales of games like AC09 to plummet, will we see action on two fronts: we get what we want (and deserve) and companies that produce the likes of AC09 start to take notice (not that we'll care by that stage).

Sorry Hmarka, I know I'm ticking you off! Please know that it's done in the spirit of lively discussion and not just flaming or hating.

So you do eventually agree with me after all. The reason I bring his up is to confirm that we are actually pretty much on the same page. It was you, in fact, who had a word with me about my negativity. Now that you've made your post above, I think we can come to some sort of agreement, yes?

Unfortunately for us, Transmission/Codemasters won't be re-staffing because they undeservedly met the sales goals. The only way they'll learn is if a competitor significantly hurts their revenue. You can bet that if a decent cricket game came out at the same time by another company, Codemasters would have been toast.

Last edited:
P

pcfan123

So you do eventually agree with me after all. The reason I bring his up is to confirm that we are actually pretty much on the same page. It was you, in fact, who had a word with me about my negativity. Now that you've made your post above, I think we can come to some sort of agreement, yes?

Unfortunately for us, Transmission/Codemasters won't be re-staffing because they undeservedly met the sales goals. The only way they'll learn is if a competitor significantly hurts their revenue. You can bet that if a decent cricket game came out at the same time by another company, Codemasters would have been toast.

I suppose we do agree, since I last commented on your post I actually started playing against the AI (had only played online before).

I just cannot get over the bowlers speeds for England, I mean its an Ashes game!

Dabi

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

I can understand your sentiments but see, the thing for me is, this is one game which has a lot of things right. Sure the runout bug is simply another level of stupidity but it's not a completely bad game. The most important thing for me is that they fix the fundamentals of bowling, where the length gets changed and more importantly there's room for the AI to be caught behind and bowled/leg-before. In my opinion, if the batting system became less forgiving (for both AI and human players), they fix the run-out bug and fix the lengths, this can be one of the best. Yes these problems exist in the game, and it can get extremely annnoying but for many it doesn't make it unplayable (mainly because we are all starved for a cricket game).

Healthy competition would result in increased quality but competition can only increase if there's an increase in sales. To that end I believe for all it's flaws, it's a good thing that this game is selling well. I hope it sells better than any other cricket game, so that other devs start to notice and make a few more cricket games, resulting in increased competition. We will have to buy cricket games for all their flaws if they are fun so that more devs get the incentive to make cricket games.

Lastly, Codemasters may pat themselves on the back if this games sell really well. But that may also result in greater resources for the next one, resulting in a better game...

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
I can understand your sentiments but see, the thing for me is, this is one game which has a lot of things right. Sure the runout bug is simply another level of stupidity but it's not a completely bad game. The most important thing for me is that they fix the fundamentals of bowling, where the length gets changed and more importantly there's room for the AI to be caught behind and bowled/leg-before. In my opinion, if the batting system became less forgiving (for both AI and human players), they fix the run-out bug and fix the lengths, this can be one of the best. Yes these problems exist in the game, and it can get extremely annnoying but for many it doesn't make it unplayable (mainly because we are all starved for a cricket game).

Healthy competition would result in increased quality but competition can only increase if there's an increase in sales. To that end I believe for all it's flaws, it's a good thing that this game is selling well. I hope it sells better than any other cricket game, so that other devs start to notice and make a few more cricket games, resulting in increased competition. We will have to buy cricket games for all their flaws if they are fun so that more devs get the incentive to make cricket games.

Lastly, Codemasters may pat themselves on the back if this games sell really well. But that may also result in greater resources for the next one, resulting in a better game...

You raise a very interesting point. The thing I try to remember is that the bottom line for any profit-driven company is the almighty dollar.

So which is a better motivator: good sales or poor sales?

CaptainOZ added 2 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

I just cannot get over the bowlers speeds for England, I mean its an Ashes game!

This is something I don't understand either. I'm no computer whiz, but all they would have had to do was to go into the program and replace a few numbers, right? Changing 73 to 85 mph for example - this can't be rocket science, nor should it take a substantive amount of effort...

D

Dutch

bowling speed is not the main problem in the game!!

For me it's the AI field settings. I thought I read that we would be suprised at how intelligently and how quickly AI would respond to us hitting a ball somewhere. Well it's like watching a frigging dinosaur thinking as the fielding team make up there mind;

(slow, dumb voice)

"Oh they 'ave hit the ball over there! A message is going to my brain! I fink I 'ave to do summink! Not yet though, my 'ead 'urts! Oh they 'ave 'it the ball over there! A message is goin' to my brain! I fink I..........!"

Ad Infinitum

Why oh why if you set a strong off-side field would you bowl at somebody's legs?? It just doesn't make sense.

What are they thinking:

"Ha ha, he's falling for it. He's scoring an incredibily quick century into the legside but little does he know that we are just buttering him up because when he approaches his double century off 63 balls we are going to put a fielder there and stop the ball. The fool, the fool! Victory is ours! Today long on, tomorrow the world!! Ha ha ha ha ha!"

(Scooby Doo villian type laugh!)

I have rung Transmission Games. Unfortunately no-one was there. I got the answering machine:

"Thank you for calling. Unfortunately no one is able to take your call. We are all in the wrong room and haven't figured out a way yet of getting back into the right room. We hope to patch this soon and are at this moment monitoring bugs. Once we have finished counting insects we will get back to you."

In an e mail they defended themselves saying that they thought Jamie was going to make sure everyone was in the right room but he had been so busy and wasn't able to tell them on time thinking that Heath had already done so.

They also wanted to correct a misunderstanding: AI doesn't mean Artifical Intelligence but in fact means Absolute Bollocks. They are hoping to patch AI into AB as soon as Jamie gets back from asking Heath why someone put James Anderson into the game as a bowler when everyone knows he is an opening batsman.

Anyway I shall get back to everyone when I have had more information from these wonderful guys who are absolutely sincere about the future of this game. Jamie told me that himself and promised me lots of Panini's if I gave him a good report. As soon as he is back from his "trip to the Bahama's to sort out the Bobby Anderson thingy" he will get in touch.

Thanks to Codemasters and Transmission. Keep the faith!:)

Last edited by a moderator:

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
HAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!! One of the best posts of the year !! especially the "Slow dumb voice" part was tweaking hilarious !!
:laugh:rtfl :hpraise

Last edited:

alioz

Club Cricketer
Just called Transmission Games and asked the girl on reception that i need to speak to some one in regards to the patch for ashes crciket 2009. Girl advise me that i need to contact codemasters for that. and then before she hang up she said "Goodluck with that". I dont know if she was being nice or there was bit of a sarcasm. Hmmmm.:spy

diaskasun

Club Cricketer
Just called Transmission Games and asked the girl on reception that i need to speak to some one in regards to the patch for ashes crciket 2009. Girl advise me that i need to contact codemasters for that. and then before she hang up she said "Goodluck with that". I dont know if she was being nice or there was bit of a sarcasm. Hmmmm.:spy

she was making fun of you mate ...

Users who are viewing this thread