Indian tour of South Africa, December-January 2010/11

What will the result of the Test series be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I really hope Zaheer, IShant and Sree are all fit for this one. I would even add Irfan to mix. Look what out of box selection of Sehwag to Australian tour has done for him. I expect similar things for him. He can add so much to Indian team.

For South Africa, I would be more inclined towards Mithun than Irfan. In South Africa, its more of the pace and bounce than the swing. Mithun is a 'hit the deck' kind of bowler who should ideally do very well in SA if he puts in that effort.

Flame_Blader1

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
For South Africa, I would be more inclined towards Mithun than Irfan. In South Africa, its more of the pace and bounce than the swing. Mithun is a 'hit the deck' kind of bowler who should ideally do very well in SA if he puts in that effort.

Nah swing is the main thing in SA. Remember what Mitch Johnson did in 09. The guy was getting serious inswing against right handers. Irfan can do similar stuff since his strength is also swing (of course he doesn't have the pace Johnson does but still).

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I do not think defeating South Africa in South Africa is a difficult job now,Look at England series in South Africa ;)

stefan

International Coach
I do not think defeating South Africa in South Africa is a difficult job now,Look at England series in South Africa ;)

You do remember that england only just hung on in 2 of the 4 tests??;) Collingwood just saved them.

Sehwag is unlikely to fail in SAF. He loves that place. In fact he got his first century out there. However, if India do badly, this could have a negative impact upon their World Cup preparations.

That century was gotten on debut at number 6 and was also made at the easiest batting tracks of the SA test grounds at Bloemfontein.

Last tour he was so bad that india eventually dropped him.

If Sehwag stays at the wicket for around 20 overs he can take the game away from any opposition. Plus, his Australian records need to be considered as the pitches are quite similar to those in SAF.

As for Gambhir, saving a Test by batting for close to a day in Napier is a tough task. He has done exceedingly well and should you consider his ODI record, it would be quite clear.

The australian pitches may bounce similiar to SA but SA wickets have more seam movement.

I expect SA to prepare lively tracks and back our pace attack.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
BCCI has agreed to send a group of the players early to SA to get acclimatised to the conditions. Which means players from this group will miss the ODI's vs NZ. I guess the Big Three will definitely go early as two of them dont play ODI's anymore and the other one takes lot of rest in ODI's. Zaheer, Ishant, Sreesanth and Harbhajan also need to go early to SA. Our bowling will be crucial if we have to create history in SA by winning the series. I would also send Gambhir, Vijay and Pujara early. Let Sehwag, Dhoni, Raina play in the ODI's and join the team later (or rest Dhoni for the ODI's vz NZ and send him in early too).

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
The article in TOI says that Dhoni will be sent too... So finally a series rest gor dhoni

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Thats good. Dhoni should be sent early too. He takes lot of time to get acclimatised especially when it comes to tests. Also he needs a break. The guy plays too much.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
I am happy to see our board finally adopting the player rotation policy

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I think we might see the board resting Dhoni in either RSA or against NZL. I don't think he would captain against both seeing as he deserves a break. I think it is likely that Gambhir would take over for either the NZL ODIs or the RSA ones.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Better he rest for the NZ ODI's. He is needed for the SA ODI's where the SA team would be full strength. Also it will be good WC preparation to face a team like SA in SA in ODI's (even though the conditions for the WC are different).

War

Chairman of Selectors
You do remember that england only just hung on in 2 of the 4 tests??;) Collingwood just saved them.

That century was gotten on debut at number 6 and was also made at the easiest batting tracks of the SA test grounds at Bloemfontein.

Last tour he was so bad that india eventually dropped him.

The australian pitches may bounce similiar to SA but SA wickets have more seam movement.

I expect SA to prepare lively tracks and back our pace attack.

Well said sir stefan.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
RSA will try to demolish India completely. This will the last series for both teams before the World Cup. Obviously ,if they Africans demolish India during the said time, the Indian performance could drop.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I have a bad feeling that this will be a huge wake up call for the so called number 1 team. Sachin, Dravid and Laxman's experience abroad will come in great use here. I think that any chance we have of winning the series, lies not (only) in taking 20 wickets but how those 3 perform. Sehwag is a bit of an unknown. He has been known to struggle in bowler friendly conditions but he has really come on the last year or so, so much so that he's almost a completely different batsman. It will be interesting to see how he goes. Gambhir has been uncomfortable against the short ball and Morne Morkel in particular worked him over in India. Also, that dab he plays to get the quick single could really get him into trouble in South Africa. It's the shot Gambhir needs to take out of his game. Against the moving ball, that dab could land him in trouble. Raina is terrible against the short ball as we have seen in limited overs cricket but it will be interesting to see how he deals with the short ball tactic (that will no doubt be employed) when he has more time on his hands. Will he counter it with aggression or patience? Dhoni is a pretty average test batsman, to be brutally honest. I don't have great confidence in him as a batsman in test cricket.

stefan

International Coach
Here we go again. India needs to get with the program and accept they were just poor in their first series and learn to use udrs.

South Africa in favour of UDRS for India Tests

Firdose Moonda

October 24, 2010
Comments: 58 | Login via | Text size: A | A
Indian players wait for a third-umpire review for a leg-before appeal against Malinda Warnapura, Sri Lanka v India, 2nd Test, Galle, 2nd day, August 1, 2008
India have made no secret of their dislike for the UDRS ? AFP
Enlarge
Related Links
News : Hawk-eye inventor aims to dispel Indian concerns
In Focus: Technology
Series/Tournaments: India tour of South Africa
Teams: India | South Africa

South Africa are in favour of using the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS) in their upcoming Test series against India. Gerald Majola, Chief Executive Officer of Cricket South Africa (CSA), confirmed to ESPNcricinfo that the board is still negotiating with its Indian counterparts over whether the system will be used during the end-of-year tour.

"We have to persuade India because at the moment they don't want it," said Majola. As per ICC regulations, the host team can take the take the call on whether to use UDRS, in consultation with the visiting country. Majola said the South African players want to use the system because they think "it's the most fair way for decisions to be made."

South African captain Graeme Smith voiced his conditional approval for the UDRS in a more measured manner. "Technology is obviously an important way forward in cricket. It will be beneficial to the game and the players are behind. I think if the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS) is going to be successful it needs to be implemented properly by the ICC and not on a 50/50 basis like we have seen so far," Smith said. "It must be used all of the time and not for selective series' like we see now."

Recent history may explain Smith's issue with consistency. In their last four Test series, South Africa have used the UDRS three times. They first used it against Australia in the 2008-09 season, then against England at home last season and, most recently, in their three-test series in the West Indies in June. They did not use it in the series in India in February this year, when the choice lay with the hosts.

India have made no secret of their dislike for the system since they first used it in a series against Sri Lanka in 2008. In the three-Test series, India made only one successful review, compared to Sri Lanka's 11. They haven't used it since then, with senior players such as Sachin Tendulkar openly saying they prefer Hot Spot, as they feel it is a more accurate tool for establishing contact between bat and ball or pad.

There is the possibility that Hot Spot will be used during the South Africa-India series, even though it wasn't part of the production in the recently-completed series between South Africa and Zimbabwe. Hotspot was used during the home series against England. The broadcasting rights have since changed hands. Previously the national broadcaster, the South African Broadcast Corporation, was responsible for the production; now Supersport is. Both services still broadcast live matches.

The exact technology tools to be used in the series will be decided in the coming weeks. It is almost certain that South Africa will have ball-tracking technology, Super Slo-Mo and a clear stump mike, the three requirements needed for the UDRS system, should India change their mind. The first Test starts in Centurion on December 16.

Firdose Moonda is a freelance writer based in Johannesburg
RSS Feeds: Firdose Moonda

? ESPN EMEA Ltd.

India in South Africa: South Africa in favour of UDRS for India Tests | Cricket News | South Africa v India | Cricinfo.com

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
RSA will try to demolish India completely. This will the last series for both teams before the World Cup. Obviously ,if they Africans demolish India during the said time, the Indian performance could drop.

Forgot the 2003 WC? Before that, we were spanked by NZ in NZ and we arrived with low confidence. And what happened in that WC? We reached the final.

I dont think India will be demolished in the tests in SA. Not sure about the ODI's but confident that we will do decently in tests. It will be a tight series, but SA will be favored.

Users who are viewing this thread