Indian tour of South Africa, December-January 2010/11

What will the result of the Test series be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I'm pretty optimistic for this tour as long as we go with our full strength. Can't wait for this one.

Yeah, if we go with full strength, I am optimistic. Especially a fit Zaheer and a fit trio of Dravid, Sachin and Laxman.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Sehwag has batted well in SA before, and he also batted well during the Australia tour. Gambhir played really well during our tour to NZ. Also, I dont expect entirely bowler friendly conditions in SA as it was during the Eng vs PAK series. I am confident that the wickets will have pace and bounce but not much of movement (they will be good batting wickets with life in it).

When has Sehwag batted well in SA before?. Since when is averaging 14 in his last tour in 2006/07 & an overall avergae of 26 in SA - batting well???. Plus what does his record in AUS have to do with his record ins SA?.

When Gambhir played well vs NZ. That was on flat sub-continent like pitches againts a joke pace attack. Since Gambhir has become a test fixture in the Indian set-up vs SRI 2008, he has never faced a quality pace-attack in bowler friendly codnitons similar to recent AUS vs PAK series in ENG. The SA tour year end will be his first.

On evidence of recent series in SA that i've seen. Which would be AUS & ENG tours their in 2008/09 & 2009/10. India will definately encounter alot of bowler friendly conditons.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
When has Sehwag batted well in SA before?. Since when is averaging 14 in his last tour in 2006/07 & an overall avergae of 26 in SA - batting well???. Plus what does his record in AUS have to do with his record ins SA?.

When Gambhir played well vs NZ. That was on flat sub-continent like pitches againts a joke pace attack. Since Gambhir has become a test fixture in the Indian set-up vs SRI 2008, he has never faced a quality pace-attack in bowler friendly codnitons similar to recent AUS vs PAK series in ENG. The SA tour year end will be his first.

If Sehwag stays at the wicket for around 20 overs he can take the game away from any opposition. Plus, his Australian records need to be considered as the pitches are quite similar to those in SAF.

As for Gambhir, saving a Test by batting for close to a day in Napier is a tough task. He has done exceedingly well and should you consider his ODI record, it would be quite clear.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Australia and RSA have different pitches. Cannot be compared as there will be lot of green on RSA pitches.

And since when NZ started to give India sub continent wickets in NZ. :p

Seriously I don't mind India facing any attack in test cricket anywhere. Be it Mars.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
Seriously I don't mind India facing any attack in test cricket anywhere. Be it Mars.
I don't mind too, I have an supreme faith in our batting and surely more on Dhoni's luck.

Everybody is in form except Gambhir and Dravid, Dravid can be very handy at any time while if Gambhir won't perform, Vijay is doing fine in tests.:D

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I don't mind too, I have an supreme faith in our batting and surely more on Dhoni's luck.

Everybody is in form except Gambhir and Dravid, Dravid can be very handy at any time while if Gambhir won't perform, Vijay is doing fine in tests.:D

Vijay will do fine as long as the pitch doesnt offer anything to the bowlers. If it offers something, he will be split wide open. His off side game is so vulnerable.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Yep. Dravid will be handy in such conditions and he tends to bail out India,when they are in deep trouble.

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
Three tests? There should have been at least four. I hope the pitches are lively. Full of pace and bounce. The Indian batting line up has been getting a lot of praise recently, but this will be their first challenge in a long time, where they will be playing a good pace attack outside of the sub-continent. Also should be good to see if the Indian pace attack is any good. They have had to bowl on some horrible pitches, but they should get some bowler friendly pitches here.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I really hope Zaheer, IShant and Sree are all fit for this one. I would even add Irfan to mix. Look what out of box selection of Sehwag to Australian tour has done for him. I expect similar things for him. He can add so much to Indian team.

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
I really liked Irfan, but he is a completely different bowler. The BCCI ruined him. Poor lad. If he had been born in Pakistan, he would have been the current Aamer.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Not BCCI but some so called well informed ex cricketers and coaches of India. Doing same with Ishant now.

Let the guy bowl the way he made impact. :facepalm

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
3 Tests is okay. Actually this is not the time to play Tests, they should be focussing more on the ODIs than on Tests. The World Cup will be right after this tour.

Flame_Blader1

Club Cricketer
I'd love to have Irfan back as well. But for that to happen he needs tp go back to the old Irfan who use to swing it big. I can't believe how much speed he has lost over the last 2 years. I believe his change in action was probably what caused it. If he can just rediscover his bowling form then he should be an automatic selection.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Get Sreesanth in on the SAF pitches. He did wonders last time round in South Africa.

Users who are viewing this thread