Ashes Cricket General Discussion

bl8000

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I would hazard a guess that standard controls are designed as such to provide a basic/easier experience. To call them ‘broken’ is an overreaction

I say broken because there seem to be under lying features I mentioned here already.

Using standard pace bowling I never recorded a maiden over, using classic I now have 11 maiden overs and generally have a majority of dot balls every over.

Standard the AI knocks me for 4’s and 6’s.

Zero difference in my line or length or bowling strategy, only difference is the result after changing control methods.

Also I saw the AI rarely if ever leave balls when using standard, with classic I can confuse them into leaving often.

It’s such a drastic difference in results by only switching from standard to classic.

Maybe broken isn’t the right term but something is certainly amiss.

Is the AI reading your bowling commands when you use standard? My experience using both S and C controls leads me to think yes.

I would prefer to use standard but after seeing the drastically different and better results using classic I can’t go back.

Nathaus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
I say broken because there seem to be under lying features I mentioned here already.

Using standard pace bowling I never recorded a maiden over, using classic I now have 11 maiden overs and generally have a majority of dot balls every over.

Standard the AI knocks me for 4’s and 6’s.

Zero difference in my line or length or bowling strategy, only difference is the result after changing control methods.

Also I saw the AI rarely if ever leave balls when using standard, with classic I can confuse them into leaving often.

It’s such a drastic difference in results by only switching from standard to classic.

Maybe broken isn’t the right term but something is certainly amiss.

Is the AI reading your bowling commands when you use standard? My experience using both S and C controls leads me to think yes.

I would prefer to use standard but after seeing the drastically different and better results using classic I can’t go back.

This seems reasonable enough to suggest something is amiss, but as Snowy suggests he was talking more about the complaint of a 'missing' shot (which looks more like a missing footwork input as a result of the cut back controls) being a result of a more streamlined control mechanism (or 'basic' for want of a better word). I feel the bowling should also have some cut back features to make it simpler for people, but the underlying game experience should not change other than not being able to adjust the intricacies of batting and bowling. The AI should react the same way if an identical ball is bowled using either control method.

I believe FIFA or PES has a basic control method that essentially gives you pass and shoot as the two options and you lose all other commands such as lob pass, through ball, etc etc... These aren't bugs, it's designed that way - I feel BA should clarify this if it's not clear enough already that Standard is a cut back control scheme designed for more of a pick up and play experience. I'm still awaiting on my copy of the game though, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

bl8000

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
This seems reasonable enough to suggest something is amiss...so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Yeah understood.

Currently I am classic pace and spin and standard batting but leaning towards classic all.

I would prefer standard like I wrote above.

Here is one that makes me scratch my head...

Standard bowling pre-bowl when you select your delivery you cannot seam the ball.

Classic pre-bowl if you hover/hesistate on the delivery selection you can then roll the left stick to seam it

Why is that not under both controls?

Another example is you can hold the triggers during run up under classic to change speed and length and redo them at the last second.

Under standard you pick speed and length and you are pretty much stuck with it which might be why the AI can read what is coming.

Neither of these “advanced” options are difficult to do in game and on standard, just like classic you could choose not do them if you prefer. My only guess is that possibly standard controls were added late in the dev cycle and sadly they may not have had enough time to fully assign the more feature filled classic bowling controls to the standard bowling interface.

Post below was deleted because it was a double post.

Last edited:

sonimrajk

International Cricketer
I just completed 2 odi matches in hard difficulty and almost played 90 overs batting. The gameplay is really good and i overall enjoyed it.
Like every other game there are few cons as well.
1. There was not even a single edge for 90 overs of batting.
2. Also i dont see much difference between top order and lower order batsman.
3. Rain is delaying matches even when we select none option for weather.
4. Also rain delays are causing issues in limited overs. Poweplays, bowler max overs and field placing are not adjusting as per the total overs.
Hope bigant fix these issues in next patches.
Thanks Bigant for a superb game.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Yeah understood.

Currently I am classic pace and spin and standard batting but leaning towards classic all.

I would prefer standard like I wrote above.

Here is one that makes me scratch my head...

Standard bowling pre-bowl when you select your delivery you cannot seam the ball.

Classic pre-bowl if you hover/hesistate on the delivery selection you can then roll the left stick to seam it

Why is that not under both controls?

Another example is you can hold the triggers during run up under classic to change speed and length and redo them at the last second.

Under standard you pick speed and length and you are pretty much stuck with it which might be why the AI can read what is coming.

Neither of these “advanced” options are difficult to do in game and on standard, just like classic you could choose not do them if you prefer. My only guess is that possibly standard controls were added late in the dev cycle and sadly they may not have had enough time to fully assign the more feature filled classic bowling controls to the standard bowling interface.

Post below was deleted because it was a double post.
Standard controls are based around the idea that it is easier to pick up and play for someone who has never played a Big Ant cricket game. Therefore including seam control by default would make it more complex. I get where you're coming from, it would be nice to be able to turn it on for Standard if you wanted. Personally, I tried out Standard and once I saw you couldn't control seam I went back to Classic.

I play with Standard for spin bowling, but that's because I've never particularly enjoyed the turning of the stick mechanic and I have friends who really struggled to get their heads around it.

AnmolJ

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Could also be that when You are using standard controls in the video, the timing is quite off?

Is this also what you mean? It's unable to time?
Up for a match bro? Then we'll see who's timing is off.

ashescricketer

Club Cricketer
For people playing online is it possible to check what controls people use before playing them as the easy/baby controls seem to have a huge advantage as footwork is almost non essential and aiming in the gap before the bowler bowls is a bit ...babyish ...

Pcuser

Club Captain
How come ps4 users have Tim Paine and Bancroft in there aussie line ups and xbox doesn't? Can any xbox users confirm they don't have these 2 players in there australia side

AnmolJ

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Could also be that when You are using standard controls in the video, the timing is quite off?

Is this also what you mean? It's unable to time?

It was one of my subscribers who asked me to post this video and if you really think his timing is off, why don't you try this shot with the same marker and post a video.

Wilburella

Banned
Anybody else have the AI bowling a ridiculous amount of wides from short balls ?
Anderson so far of all people has bowled this
. 1 wd wd 1 nb . . wd .
. wd 4 . wd[DOUBLEPOST=1511775468][/DOUBLEPOST]1.3 overs 0-12 yet I have only scored 6 off him. Just makes the run rate look .........

kulch

Club Captain
Standard controls are based around the idea that it is easier to pick up and play for someone who has never played a Big Ant cricket game. Therefore including seam control by default would make it more complex. I get where you're coming from, it would be nice to be able to turn it on for Standard if you wanted. Personally, I tried out Standard and once I saw you couldn't control seam I went back to Classic.

I play with Standard for spin bowling, but that's because I've never particularly enjoyed the turning of the stick mechanic and I have friends who really struggled to get their heads around it.

We can still have seam as an option on standard controls. It's not asking for more complex controls its just an option if you want to go deeper once u have mastered the basics. It's also optional in classic ie it doesn't make it harder, it's an option

Users who are viewing this thread