ICC Cricket World Cup - May/July 2019

Who will be crowned the ODI World Champion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
No disrespect to Bangladesh, but this is an upset to me (Bangladesh beating South Africa). There is no way a team like SA can choke up a chase like that. They were in it for the most part.

This must feel deflating for them. Makes you wonder why ABD decided to retire when he is still in form and worthy of carrying on and helping SA.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
At this rate, the ICC is gonna make the World Cup a 7 match series between India and the other highest ranked ODI side to prevent potential upsets. :p

Massive win for Bangladesh, this could really push them to be a big force in the future. They've got a lot of talented cricketers coming through and matches like this are only going to raise the morale and mental capabilities of this side. Mustafizur might also become the first world class pace bowler from Bangladesh if he continues being this good with his pace.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I personally don't see this as an upset. I genuinely believe that bar the top 3, there is a serious 6 sides that are going to scramble for the last spot. Apart from SL, there are 6 very very closely contested teams.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Very disappointed with south Africa. They should have won both the games, with some sensible batting and a few solid partnerships

I want them to regain their mojo and make an awesome comeback on the tournament. But only after losing the next game. Don't pick Indias game to reverse your fortunes

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Very disappointed with south Africa. They should have won both the games, with some sensible batting and a few solid partnerships

I want them to regain their mojo and make an awesome comeback on the tournament. But only after losing the next game. Don't pick Indias game to reverse your fortunes

They won't bother India. It's also complicated for them with three injuries. So, they are in a serious soup.

Bevab

Staff Member
No disrespect to Bangladesh, but this is an upset to me (Bangladesh beating South Africa). There is no way a team like SA can choke up a chase like that. They were in it for the most part.

This must feel deflating for them. Makes you wonder why ABD decided to retire when he is still in form and worthy of carrying on and helping SA.

Another thing that has gone under the radar has been Olivier signing the Kolpak deal for financial security, despite receiving opportunities and assurances of his spot in the side.

I don't think Duminy is solely to blame for this loss though, he did score 9-10 runs per over in the death when the asking rate was near 11-12. One big over could have resulted in a victory. Miller, who I placed a lot of hopes on disappointed big time and the others also threw their wickets away IMO, with perhaps the exception of Rassie.

Ngidi's injury could be a real bummer for this team too, particularly if he's ruled out of the tournament. The only replacement I can think of is Dala who was the leading wicket taker in the domestic LA tournament if I'm right. The other left field option would be to call up Viljoen since his Kolpak deal has ended.

Edit - personally thought Faf was a bit arrogant in the post match presentation, especially with his comments on how Bangladesh would defeat their side if they were only at 50-60%.

Last edited:

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Just look at the number of people who have left SA cricket-

Batters
AB
Ingram
Roussou

Three batters who are playing leagues all around the world and are all batsmen of international pedigree and repute.

Bowlers
Abbott
Olivier
Parnell

I think there's a keeper who was supposed to succeed Boucher who's left and so has Morkel now.

If you can't manage talent, there's enough freelance opportunities out there for the cricketer to take. I blame CSA for this.

Alexei.

User Title Purchaser
PAK...
NZ....
LQ
QG
Sydney Thunder
I live in Nottingham and just 15 mins walk from Trent Bridge and I don't even bother to go and watch the games.
Did good, Dont go tomorrow as well, Go for a match between two other teams (some high scorer :p)
I think there's a keeper who was supposed to succeed Boucher who's left and so has Morkel now.
Morne van Wyk? Duminy disappointed me. I think Amla's absence was another factor which caused this defeat.

Well, After the horrible Asian defeats, it feels good :3

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I don't see this as an upset at all. Bangladesh was on top throughout this game and very rarely allowed South Africa to come back into the game. I think South Africa would have felt comfortable when they had to chase 130 in 15 overs with 7 wickets in hand but they messed up. Faf again played a very irresponsible shot and you can't do that being the best batsman of your team. I think both Markram and Rassie are wonderful players but they just lack experiance at the big stage. Markram did get out to a very good delivery by Shakib but Rassie just showed his inexperiance with the shot he played to get out. Duminy has been disappointing and same goes for Miller. South Africa have invested a lot in both of them and haven't got much in return. Morris is another player who has faded away lately. When he burst onto the scene, I remember how quick he was and had that zip in his bowling which I definitely don't see anymore and his batting has also gone downhill.

I know there were a lot of talks about whether Amla should be named in the WC squad or not because hw as struggling with his form and Reeza Hendricks was the frontrunner to replace him. I think he will be drafted in straight away in their ODI line-up after the WC. I have a lot of time for both Markram and Rassie because even though they are quite inexperiance at the international level, they have shown enough in their little career that they can be trusted. De kock has already made a name for himself in the world. Even though Faf said he isn't retiring after this WC, I am really not sure if he will make it to the next WC. As I said before, they have invested a lot of time in Miller but hasn't got much in return. Maybe time to look at someone else, someone like Heinrich Klassen? Miller can of course stay in contention since he is already so experienced and he is still 29. However, someone definitely needs to put their hand up to challenge him for that spot. I also liked the way Theunis de Bruyn played in that test series against Australia. I don't think he can play that finisher role but definitely someone to look out for in top 4 if they are building an 11 for next WC.

This would be my team for South Africa after WC. Of course I don't follow South Africa's domestic cricket very closely so I might have missed out on few names who might be closer to the national squad then the ones I have mentioned here. However, this list is based on the players that I have seen and the ones who can actually realistically make it to the next WC.

Reeza Hendricks
De kock
Markram
Faf/ Theunis de Bruyn
Rassie
Klassen/Miller
Phehlukwayo/Wiaan Mulder
KG
Ngidi
Shamsi/ Maharaj
Hendricks/Nortje

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
What was the cherry on the cake was the way Morris got out. Full toss at about 80-85 miles an hour. I mean, that is the ball you want to receive. Just enough pace on it and you hole out to that?

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I have been watching cricket for the last 20+ years but probably this is the first time it feels like Pakistan is a minnow going into a Worldcup match.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Overcompensation at it's best. Imad has been doing a brilliant job but loses his place. Hafeez has done nothing but he keeps his place.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I've been following Archer closely and I think if England can get him in the Ashes squad, it won't be a bad idea. I think he will bowl one bad ball every over because he's not a finished article but his seam position and bumper will produce a lot of magic deliveries and create chances.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread