West Indies Tour of England - July 2020

I would keep Archer out. Breaking quarantine rules needs harsher than what he was given. Anderson might just be rested still. I don't think Curran or Woakes bowled badly enough to merit dropping. The England team seems okay.

It's the West Indies team that needs looking at.

I have two criteria now.

Drop Shai Hope.

Pick Cornwall.

If either of those two haven't been fulfilled on Friday, I'm going to go support Sri Lanka or something.

EDIT: What I mean, is that there re players who deserve form in the middle, and there are players who deserve form after being dropped. Broad is a fine example. He was dropped, and look at how he responded. F*** Hope, drop him, damnit. Play Cornwall. Yes, Chase got 5 wickets in England's first innings. 5 for what, 172? S**t, that's terrible. Cornwall would have gotten those 5 for a century less.

Playing Chase as your main spin option is not a good idea. Play a proper spinner, even if you'll have to hide him in the field sometimes.

And I like Holder as captain, he's a true all-rounder. But he needs to realise that he's a jack of all trades, master of none (but better than a master of one). I honestly think that Alzarri Joseph, in good conditions, is better than Holder in both bowling and batting. Alzarri's problem is that he is a naturally aggressive player. But have a partner with him who can curb his aggression, and he will give you lots of balls in the middle. Roach can give you lots of balls in the middle. Gabriel...well, he's just a genuine number 11.

I'm going to type this the way I want to type it, and let PlanetCricket edit out the obscenities.

tweaking drop Hope. tweaking play Cornwall.

Gabriel...can you drop him? He can play three Tests on the trot, perhaps not.

Joseph has had either an injection or a fluid removal from his elbow. I'm leaning toward an injection. You can see the plaster on his elbow when he was batting today. Is he fit? No. Can he bowl? Maybe.

Roach has bowled well without much success, but he's probably the fittest of the bowlers and can play in the third game.

Now, the batting.

Braithwaite needs to retain his spot. No discussion there.

Campbell is...iffy. He's a maybe. I can easily see his spot given to Da Silva.

Hope is out. No Hope for the WI in the next game. Sorry. fearsome tweak off. You're taking up a spot that can be given to more talented players.

Brooks has shown that he can play. He keeps his spot.

Chase has to be played. He's a better player than his stats this game has shown. But not as the team's first spinner.

Dowrich...had a bad game. Technique was exposed. Can't keep coming across the line. But does he need to be dropped? Can't say that he deserves that.

My WI XI:

Kraigg Braithwaite
John Campbell
Joshua Da Silva
Shamarh Brooks
Roston Chase
Shane Dowrich (wk)
Jason Holder (c)
Rahkeem Cornwall (What in the holy hell does it take for the big man to get a game in?)
Chemar Holder/Alzarri Joseph
Kemar Roach
Shannon Gabriel

My XI will never happen. But that's the team I think could be most competitive with the series on the line.[DOUBLEPOST=1595292584][/DOUBLEPOST]"fearsome" "tweak"??? Well, that's one way of editing, PlanetCricket.

I definitely don't agree with everything @qpeedore has written there.

Let's have a quick look at the WIndies attack:

|Role|Stats since 2018|VARP
:wi: :ar: Roston Chase|Stock spinner|35 wickets @ 33.94 (2 5WI, best 8/60) in 17 matches|:down: 25.51% (spinners)
:wi: :ar: Rahkeem Cornwall|Attacking spinner|13 wickets @ 22.61 (1 5WI, best 7/75) in 2 matches|:up: 27.61% (spinners)
:wi: :bwl: Shannon Gabriel|Express pace bowler|59 wickets @ 25.23 (4 5WI, best 8/62) in 15 matches|:down: 30.25% (seamers)
:wi: :ar: Jason Holder|Swing bowler|61 wickets @ 15.54 (6 5WI, best 6/42) in 13 matches|:up: 74.96% (seamers)
:wi: :bwl: Alzarri Joseph|Unclear|13 wickets @ 32.30 (best 2/12) in 5 matches|:down: 37.38% (seamers)
:wi: :bwl: Kemar Roach|Seam bowler|50 wickets @ 21.96 (2 5WI, best 5/8) in 14 matches|:up: 13.01% (seamers)

It is worth noting the caveat that the West Indies' dismal batting in this time (averaging 22.21 against pace and 25.63 against spin) makes it harder for their bowlers to stand out against their theoretical replacement players, but it really does hammer home the importance of Jason Holder in the attack. He is absolutely one of the leading Test cricketers in the world and should be treated as such.

Kemar Roach also performs notably better than his replacement player, and should be one of the West Indies' first names on the team sheet.

Roston Chase absolutely should not be selected as a first-choice spinner: his replacement player is 34% better than he, and that's no way to build a Test side. He would be a respectable second spinner, and arguably outbowled Dominic Bess for much of the Second Test.

Rakeem Cornwall draws on a small sample size, but judging by his sample so far is absolutely the best option as WIndies spinner.

The final seamer's spot is tricky - ideally you want an express pace bowler, but Shannon Gabriel is the relative weak link in the bowling attack with a VARP of -30.25 stemming from a combination of worse economy than many sub-Saharan nations (over three and a half an over) and the West Indies' batting against fast bowling rather serving to skew the statistical sample. My personal opinion is that he's not -30% bad - not even close - but that he couldn't complain if he got replaced.

He should not, however, be replaced by Alzarri Joseph, who suffers particularly by not knowing what kind of a bowler he is. Is he a seamer, a swing bowler, a pace bowler or a stock bowler? Currently he's none of those things in particular.

My selection for the final seamer's spot at the Third Test would be Chemar Holder, who isn't the finished article by any means but is an immensely promising express pace bowler who impressed particularly with his commitment when I watched him playing for West Indies 'A'.

- - -

As for the batting, I'm by no means a Jermaine Blackwood fan. I don't appreciate his temperament, and don't think he's a long-term solution. But equally, he's got a bunch of runs while Shai Hope is technically and mentally confused, so it's Hope, not Blackwood, who makes way. I don't even need to dip into his VARP stats in the last couple of years to know that he's done badly, but for the sake of hilarity let's look anyway. Hope has scored 462 runs @ 18.48 in the top order, with a solitary 50 in 26 innings. His VARP is a dismal :down: 40.95%, meaning that a replacement could be expected to be nearly twice as productive.

As for John Campbell, a questionable temperament, Test and first-class batting averages of under 30, and a habit of dropping important catches all serve to make me want him out of the side.

The rest of the batting is okay. It's not going to win the game by itself, but might be good enough to make room for their bowling attack. So who would I pick?

:bar: :bat: Kraigg Brathwaite
:bar: :bat: Shayne Moseley
:bar: :bat: Shamarh Brooks
:tat: :bat: Joshua da Silva
:bar: :ar: Roston Chase
:jam: :bat: Jermaine Blackwood
:bar: :wk: Shane Dowrich
:bar: :ar: Jason Holder
:wi: :ar: Rahkeem Cornwall
:bar: :bwl: Kemar Roach
:bar: :bwl: Chemar Holder

That's a LOT of Barbados.

Obviously Stokes was brilliant again. The two spells by Broad made a big difference. WI could pick Cornawall. Not sure for how long they are going to back Hope. Brooks looks good to get a long run. Will ENG drop Curran for Archer?

Obviously Stokes was brilliant again. The two spells by Broad made a big difference. WI could pick Cornawall. Not sure for how long they are going to back Hope. Brooks looks good to get a long run. Will ENG drop Curran for Archer?
I think Archer should sit it out and realise that no one is bigger than the team. Did we really miss him this test?

good article this and some great words from Root: hard to argue really....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/53479356

It made me suddenly realise how much I take Stokes for granted nowadays. In 20 years I will look back and think, blimey I saw him do all that.
He's superb and, in the last two years, has added consistency and depth to his game. England's best player, batsman and I think if he'd have focused on bowling more instead of batting he'd probably be the best bowler in the side.

Personally I would already rank him higher than Botham. Botham was a great player and a great all-rounder but Stokes has everything really everything, in bucket loads and is humble to boot.
I'd take Stokes over Lord Brexit. The heights of Botham's career were largely before my time. My main memories of Botham are flogging Shredded Wheat and being on Question of Sport. So, I wouldn't want to dimish his record as a cricketer. But I can't think of a player, his last two years anyway, who has such a big impact on matches.

I'd take Stokes over Lord Brexit. The heights of Botham's career were largely before my time. My main memories of Botham are flogging Shredded Wheat and being on Question of Sport. So, I wouldn't want to dimish his record as a cricketer. But I can't think of a player, his last two years anyway, who has such a big impact on matches.
Agreed: Botham is very opinionated about a whole range of subjects: Stokes fecked up and nearly broke his career in a time that careers are broken oh so easily in a whole range of occupations because of the scrutiny but he has handled himself well and it has made him a better player and a better person.

Just adding as well that Stokes was found not guilty on all counts; he shouldn't have been there and should have walked away and he paid the price for that as did England as the Ashes might not have been so a disaster as it was. But as I say he has overcome that through humility and hard work and just keeping himself to his self and he does everything, everything for the team. A role model for all and a breakthrough for all that is ginger in the world! :p

Personally I would already rank him higher than Botham. Botham was a great player and a great all-rounder but Stokes has everything really everything, in bucket loads and is humble to boot.
Although Botham was clearly the better bowler

Users who are viewing this thread