2022 ICC Men's T20 World Cup - Australia

I don’t buy the difficulties reason in this day and age for a format that is as flexible as T20. It’s just the same stubborn rules and traditions cricket sticks to like having a compulsory 30 minute interval to resume matches for rain breaks, going for lunch or tea when the game is almost nearly won with a couple of overs yet to happen and myriad other stories that I forget now.
Possible. I'm more thinking if they are having to move around staff (e.g. stadium staff, potentially paying them to be available to work a reserve day whether it happens or not), broadcast equipment, the teams, officials - not a big problem in England but it could be in Australia or India. Costs of accommodation and transport too.

Could be that washed out matches are insured but if they have a reserve day it could result with a lot of refunds on tickets and running the match at a loss. Although they played matches in front of empty stadiums for a long while during covid.

You would think that the broadcasters would rather have a match a day late than no match. With T20, even if you roll over two matches, there's no reason they couldn't be scheduled to avoid overlap.

Trying to be generous - when it's probably stubborn traditions and greed. :p

Even putting aside those issues, it's unfair on other teams if they just moved one match or just those matches taking place nearby the stadium with a roof.

Reserve days would be the best option but I imagine there's some financial or logistical reason that'd be difficult.
Unfair, perhaps but both teams probably feel they’re entitled to such special treatment….well mostly India. Sad to say but thats the reality of the cricketing world today!

Imagine India or Pakistan missing out on the semis now because of missing a point from the washed out game of theirs for instance.
That actually happened in 2019 with Pakistan :p
Our match vs Sri Lanka was washed out, and we went out on NRR after beating both finalists

Possible. I'm more thinking if they are having to move around staff (e.g. stadium staff, potentially paying them to be available to work a reserve day whether it happens or not), broadcast equipment, the teams, officials - not a big problem in England but it could be in Australia or India. Costs of accommodation and transport too.

Could be that washed out matches are insured but if they have a reserve day it could result with a lot of refunds on tickets and running the match at a loss. Although they played matches in front of empty stadiums for a long while during covid.

You would think that the broadcasters would rather have a match a day late than no match. With T20, even if you roll over two matches, there's no reason they couldn't be scheduled to avoid overlap.

Trying to be generous - when it's probably stubborn traditions and greed. :p

Sadly the cynic in me just thinks this is plain old greed. These marquee events bring in more money than most of us can probably imagine and the amount that trickles down to each level gets smaller and smaller that by the time you get to stadium staff they’d gladly take the extra day’s work and pay. Even with regards to the matchday income loss that you mention the game not happening is far worse I presume than it happening a day later. In the end it requires more creativity and ingenuity than ICC or anyone at present in cricket can offer.

Our match vs Sri Lanka was washed out, and we went out on NRR after beating both finalists

I think it’ll be a bigger factor now though. In your lot’s case you could have avoided the situation by not losing that terribly to a West Indies side that was dire in ODIs at that time for one. There is also a difference between the impact of one washed out game among five like now to one washed out game among ten. I remember being annoyed back then that Pakistan did suffer that fate though and calling out ICC even then for not having reserve days for group stage matches and someone pointed out that they did have them for the knockouts (which ended up being useful funnily enough).

Unfair, perhaps but both teams probably feel they’re entitled to such special treatment….well mostly India. Sad to say but thats the reality of the cricketing world today!

Jeez can you make one post without stating ” I N D I A B A D ”? It’s fast approaching circlejerk territory and contributes nothing useful in a discussion forum.

Every team is going to be rightfully annoyed in a situation where rain affects their game right from RSA in ‘92. You’re deluded if you think your blind hatred of the Indian side means they are the only ones who will be whinging about it.

India qualified for the final of the last women's World T20 after the semi-final vs England was washed out. India won their group and England finished second in theirs. South Africa won England's group courtesy of 1 point from a no result v West Indies. They had beaten England but had a worse NRR.

I think it’ll be a bigger factor now though. In your lot’s case you could have avoided the situation by not losing that terribly to a West Indies side that was dire in ODIs at that time for one. There is also a difference between the impact of one washed out game among five like now to one washed out game among ten. I remember being annoyed back then that Pakistan did suffer that fate though and calling out ICC even then for not having reserve days for group stage matches and someone pointed out that they did have them for the knockouts (which ended up being useful funnily enough).
Yeah, we brought that upon ourselves to be honest. That Windies defeat was inexcusable

India qualified for the final of the last women's World T20 after the semi-final vs England was washed out. India won their group and England finished second in theirs. South Africa won England's group courtesy of 1 point from a no result v West Indies. They had beaten England but had a worse NRR.
Conclusion : we need stadium roofs

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a post calling India out for being pampered to and pandered by the corrupt ICC and cricket world now that you’ve pointed this out. :spy

Conclusion : we need stadium roofs

I’ve alluded to this earlier I believe. With the way climate change is progressing and humanity’s lack of response to it rainfall patterns will become more unpredictable (this La Nina event is already unprecedented with the amount of rainfall it has brought) and cricket will be one of the sports most affected by it. I sincerely hope that we do exist as a society at that point to have trivial discussions over matches being called off because the ECB were idiots to build a brand new 30k seater stadium with no roof on the outskirts of London for their 13th Hundred franchise in contrast to the UAE smartly building a indoor 5k seater stadium with 40m boundaries which gets them the T10 Asia Cup this year because Sri Lanka refused to play in Bangladesh’s Naagin’ stadium rather than fighting for our survival with society on the brink of collapse.

I don't think Docklands Stadium currently have a cricket pitch but even if it did how do you decide which 50k people won't attend the game?

03 La Nina in a row are happening for the first time after 2001 but above all MCG weather can change in 5 minutes so finger crossed that we will get to see Pak v Ind.

Jeez can you make one post without stating ” I N D I A B A D ”? It’s fast approaching circlejerk territory and contributes nothing useful in a discussion forum.

Every team is going to be rightfully annoyed in a situation where rain affects their game right from RSA in ‘92. You’re deluded if you think your blind hatred of the Indian side means they are the only ones who will be whinging about it.
Damn bruh! I can see you’re frustrated by my post. Take a couple deep breaths before reading post. I was just stating the obvious and honestly from a personal perspective I wouldve rather the Ind/Pak game had a reserve day, as it remains for me the pinnacle of cricket as a fan/ anti-Indian poster to witness this match up….yup like the Indian fans I too feel entitled.

With good reason too, MCG has a capacity of what close to 100k? I’m sure those tickets sold out in a couple days. Many of us gonna be upset if the match gets rained out. The consolation for the Indian fans though is that they wont suffer another loss at the hands of Pakistan.

I’ll tone down my posting a bit and wow I’m not even nearing prime Satan666 posting as yet! I love you man, youre one of the few posters that stand up for your country and your beliefs, I truly respect that and appreciate it!

Solid score good batting pitch though, cant say I know much of the Irish batting but if the pitch holds up they should easily get those runs.

Users who are viewing this thread