2nd Test: England v Australia at Lord's

Bring back Stuey Clark! The Englishman can't play him ffs! He is a gun, I don't buy into this "Hes too similar to Hilfenhaus to play him in the same team". I cannot believe people say that! Doesn't anyone remember a bloke called McGrath? McGrath and Clark are pretty much identical in playing styles yet Clark got the more Ashes wickets last time. I can't believe he isn't in the team. So what if his first tour game back from injury wasn't great, surely he can't be bowling any worse then Mitchell "Do I bowl it on the right or left side of the batsman?" Johnson. Johnson has lost the plot and he knows it. It would be hard dropping him after 2 Tests, but with him in our XI, we won't win. Clark is the answer to all our problems. Oh and Hauritz? Lee is more likely to get a 5-fer then him, and with Lee, Clark and Hilfenhaus I think we have an attack much more likely to get 20 wickets for less then 800 runs....

Agree completely Hooper. Though I can't see Johnson being dropped because of his great past record in South Africa. If Johnson was dropped that would leave us with Hilfy, Siddle and Clark and Hauritz. It also leaves us with a fairly long tail, which most Australian sides over the past decade or so haven't. The selectors will also persist with Johnson because they will feel that he can turn around what has been an abysmal tour for Johnson.

Bring Clark into the side for the 3rd test! He's economical and gets wickets! What else could the selectors want? He also has the best record of any of the current Australian bowlers.

What else could the selectors want?

Brett Lee, if he's fit. Does anyone know how Lee is going?

If both Lee and Clark are fit - I think Lee is the better option. He took 5 wickets against the Lions last match he played, with massive reverse swing. It was brilliant, and if he wasn't injured I think this series would look extremely different.

With that said, Clark certainly isn't a bad direction to go in. He's proved he is world class.The only concern would be he hasn't shown the greatest form in the warm up matches.

If I was Strauss and there was ANY rain of substance forecast for the day, I'd declare as soon as possible. Surely he has to have enough faith in his bowlers to win the game from here. I just really hope he doesn't go conservative, bat until they get 620 ahead and declare. That's negative cricket.

If England can't bowl out Australia in 2 days, then they don't deserve to win. Especially when they've got guys like Ponting, Hughes, Clarke and Haddin in their team - who always have a bit of a flash.

I agree entirely, England need to declare overnight as 500+ is a massive 4th innings chase even for Australia at their best.

The decision not to enforce the follow-on was correct, if only because it means England don't have to worry so much about runs and can set attacking fields - something a lot of those saying we should have enforced the follow-on probably overlooked like the rest of us. Had the aussies batted again and been say 150/3, then England would have become more defensive and more defensive, thus losing the benefit of enforcing the follow-on. Runs should now be out of the equation, at least for 350 of them if not more, so Strauss can have 3-4 slips, a couple of close catchers and not worry if the aussies push on after a plausible 500 chase.

But I worry England will bat on, they need to shake the runs to overs/time equation out of their head and maybe just look at record chases at Lords for the 4th innings

Highest 4th Innings winning totals

418 West Indies vs Australia 02/03 (St Johns)
404 Australia vs England 1948 (Leeds)
403 India vs West Indies 75/76 (Port of Spain)
387 India vs England 08/09 (Chennai)
369 Australia vs Pakistan 99/00 (Hobart)

Highest 4th Innings totals

654/5 England vs South Africa 38/39 (Durban)
451 New Zealand vs England 01/02 (Christchurch)
445 India vs Australia 77/78 (Adelaide)

HIGHEST SUCCESSFUL RUN CHASE AT LORDS

344/1 West Indies vs England 1984

So history is very much against Australia, no side has chased 500 successfully, only a few sides have made 400+ batting last so it is unlikely they will be the first

Unless Hughes makes a double ton and Hussey really fires and shoves his bat up the bowlers' arse sideways, we won't draw it.

Yeah because the only quality batsmen Australia have are Hughes and Hussey :sarcasm

Can't wait to see Onions bowl today, lets see him hit 95mph

I haven't actually seen the comments about Clark being the same as Hilfy but have seen them on forums. It makes absolutely no sense, Clark is only similar to McGrath. If they were saying he was similar to anyone in the side it would be Siddle, Hilfy is a swing bowler! But no way is Clark similar to any of our bowlers, if they were tall and accurate then you could say they are the same.

I haven't said Clark is similar to Hilfy, but I have said Hilfy is bowling very similar to Clark. Hilfy has swung it as well as playing the role of Clark in these two Test Matches which might be one of the reasons why the selectors decided to persist with the same attack and not bring Clark but in. But if you consider that Johnson is getting no accuracy, no seam and no swing then I think Clark would be a much better option even if it means having two similar bowlers in terms of accuracy.

England have declared. Well finally we aren't batting too long, glad Strauss has learnt from the West Indies matches.

I'm dreading this. Australia only need to score at 3.5 an over to win and if Hughes gets off to a flier out bowlers will probably bottle it. Only England could fail to defend 500.

Users who are viewing this thread