AC09 Patch open beta 1 released - download it here

i would aprreciate as im on 360 and have to wait till october sometime to expirience all these changes if any of you lot who have been playing it could post some more screens and videos of lbws and bowls.

Really cant wait till patch for 360 cant wait to hopefully have a briliant ashes series as i have put playing ashes on hold till release of patch.

jamershepp added 1 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

Great stuff... from the comments here it seems like this patch will make AC09 an enjoyable game :).

Nice to see people who were previously quite critical of the game saying it's a big improvement and now the best cricket game out there, the look of the scorecards/videos seem to back this up and I can't wait for the patch to release on 360 - hopefully it has all the same changes as the PC patch.

Apparently it will have but i hope this is true

Had a knock around for 10 overs. Batting is still a bit easy on hard mode. But the game has improved considerably. Bowlers bowled much more sensibly and according to their fields. Other improvements such as bowling speeds and edges were also noticeable.

Firstly, huge thanks and congratulations to the developers. Your commitment is much appreciated and has hugely improved the game.

I started an Ashes series with England, lost the toss and Australia batted first. I've bowled 40 overs and Australia are 193/3, which is well within the realms of possibilty, so I'm hoping that it's been a fairly fast innings and the AI tends to average closer to 4 an over. Obviously can't comment on that as this is my first game. My first wicket was Watson LBW to Anderson on the last ball of the first over. I then had Katich caught in the slips, before Ponting was run out (see below). These are the comments I have so far:

Firstly, big improvement. The following are things that I think would further improve the game:

- As far as I can tell, there is no difference between the 'ideal length' (where the cursor goes yellow) for seam and swing deliveries. The seam length is spot on, but I'd like the swing one to be a little fuller - seam bowlers generally try and keep the batsman in two minds (front foot or back foot?) but swing bowlers are trying to encourage the bastman to drive and tend to bowl a little fuller.

- The AI batsman have ignored easy singles on a few occasions, usually having played the ball to fine leg (with a man on the boundary) or having edged through the slips (only had one of these).

- Is there any way to default the bowler selection to the bowler who bowled the last over from that end, rather than going to the top of the list all the time? I keep picking Anderson when I'm not paying attention.

- There are still too many lofted shots for my liking. There should be hardly any in the first morning of a test match.

- I've had one run out, where the batsman played the ball out to the boundary and took two initially. There was an easy three, but they paused for a few seconds before starting the third. It was close, and the wicket was confirmed by the third umpire. I appreciate that having no run outs isn't what we want, but huge pauses aren't realistic.

- When bowling with an off spinner to left handers, the ideal area for the standard off-spin ball are far too wide. I'd prefer them just outside the line of the off stump, ready to spin away. It appears you've tried to put them in the footmark and I can understand why, but batsman can leave them alone all day.

- Most of the fields are stupid. Captains will hardly ever have a player in the ring on on the boundary in the same direction (ie a mid-on and a long on) but almost all of the pre-set fields do. I can set my own custom fields to be sensible but if the AI can only choose from yours it won't be good.

I will keep playing and add to this list, and I will post batting comments when I've bowled the convicts out :p Thanks for your continuing work to improve the game.

Interesting post.
Your thinking is pretty much exactly the same as ours...

My installation gets stuck in the middle and it says "Patch not compatible with the installed version". i bought the game from Stream. Link: Ashes Cricket 2009 on Steam
Any ideas?

Yes, it seems that the beta patch is incompatible with the online versions. I got mine from Gamesplanet and have the exact same problem you report when installing the patch.

I've e-mailed Codemasters but got no response yet. Also, started another thread about this, but no "official" response there either from CM/TM guys. It truly sucks :(

Firstly a BIG thank you to Transmission & all involved in making this great cricket game a whole lot better, I'm a big fan of this game and it's great you guys are listening.

Echo most of whats in the thread although some of the negative comments are a bit over the top... ie: good balls being smashed for 6, hey sometimes it happens :D

Great that animation is now smooth, that's a huge plus the AI run rates etc etc.

Just a tweak and an addition from me really:-

1) AI extras/sundries - too many AI no balls and not enough leg byes/wides & byes

2) Faces - Players with glasses eg Dan Vettori & long beards with/without hair Hashim Amla and a couple of Pakistan players..

All round great patch!!!

Thanks again,

Steve S.

After installing the patch the game freezes on the starting screen now tell me the solution for that

I suppose my one gripe from playing this patch extensively now has to be the AI fieldsettings.

I know others have mentioned it and I am sure it has been mentioned in the beta-testing but they are at times very uncricketlike and any captain using these fields would be taken round the corenr and dunked in chip fat or alternatively asked to lead the English One Day side!

I would so love for there to be an improvement in this area or at least the ability to somehow edit the fields ourselves.:)

My feedback so far:

Loading times under Win XP - slightly shorter.
Stuttering issue sorted out under Win XP for me.
I still can't get my PS2 pad working, not even under XP, maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a 2nd Xbox 360 pad, knowing that it'll be good for all two player games and will avoid the arguments over who gets the Xbox 360 pad!!

OK, I wanted to get to the AI batting, so when put in to bat as England, I didn't play 'properly' - got punished for it, of course and got out very cheaply.

However, some things leapt out at me as being vastly improved:

The bowling lengths are now proper cricket lengths.

Top edges - Excellent! The first one I had flew over the slips and went for four - it was without a doubt the most realistic top edge I've ever seen in a cricket game.

The batsman still doesn't get out of the way of bouncers - a leave/duck button is still a necessity for the next game.

Medium fast bowlers are fixed and now carry some venom!

All edges are fixed - they fly beautifully now.

The AI now bowls wides and I didn't get my first no-ball until 11.2 overs in. Wides are rare, as they should be.

The AI seems to be switching from over to round a bit too often.

Hussey came on as second change, not sure about that...

Medium pacers seem tricky to play, but there's probably a knack to it.

My overall opinion is the AI does now carry some danger when bowling. Before, most of the wickets I lost were catches in the covers. Now, there are edges to the keeper, edges to slips, edges to gully, bowled dismissals. No LBWs as yet, but I wasn't really batting for long enough. Later, I'll start a proper series and play 'properly' to see if I can build an innings.

Some feedback on the AI batting, more to come later:

The AI still like to play backfoot defensive shots to balls they should duck, but bouncers (when they don't play that shot) seem to carry more venom now.

An annoying bug is still present - the game often calls a very short ball a no-ball, even if it was bowled in the yellow zone of the meter. This usually happens if you drop too short and get called for a wide - short balls immediately afterwards seem to get called too easily for no-balls/over head wides, when they're clearly not.

Otherwise, AI's batting is far more sedate, as is my batting as well (unless I want to get out too quickly).

So far, so good, to be honest - this looks like it is going to take BLIC 99's crown, after all this time; good work, TG. And of course, this is only Beta 1 of the patch...

I don't know if anyone has gone into the second day, but is there any sign of the weather changing day to day, or even session to session?

Oh I forgot the check but can we save our custom fields now? Someone please do reply to this. I am on my mc so I can't play now!!

Users who are viewing this thread