Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe July-August 2014

189635.jpg

Zimbabwe win the 2nd ODI with ease. Hamilton Masakadza & Sikandar Raza put on a record 224 for the 1st wicket chasing down 257 to win :clap

Also a mention for 17 year old Afghan batsman Usman Ghani who scored his maiden century :clap

I'm concerned about our bowling attack without Vitori & Chatara. We shouldn't need Hamilton & Raza to take wickets for us. Batting looks decent, which will help against strong bowling attacks, that we will face when playing Australia and South Africa. :)

Yeah I wonder why Chatara didn't play yesterday? Perhaps they're just giving everyone a game, I think Vitori is currently injured and he may be back in time for the South Africa series. Apparently Raza is pretty useful with the ball so perhaps they should persevere with his bowling as well.

Yeah I wonder why Chatara didn't play yesterday? Perhaps they're just giving everyone a game, I think Vitori is currently injured and he may be back in time for the South Africa series. Apparently Raza is pretty useful with the ball so perhaps they should persevere with his bowling as well.

I'm guessing Chatara missed because of rotation as well. We certainly don't need him injured. I don't know when Vitori is expected back, but it would be nice if he got some game time before the test match. It sounds like Utseya injured his shoulder yesterday.

From what I've seen in pictures and talk on ZCF, Raza has been bowling spin during the two ODI matches. I've only seen him bowl medium pace during the latest Wt20 qualifiers. :)

Losing Utseya wouldn't be the end of the world IMO as he doesn't take enough wickets. I'd like to see Mushangwe get a go.

Congratulations to Afghanistan on their victory. 261 was never enough runs from Zimbabwe, probably 20 runs short. Dawlat Zadran effectively winning the game hitting 4 sixes at the end.

I'm not too concerned about Zimbabwe's bowling as they seem to be chopping and changing the team around so there's no real consistency. As for the batting all of the top four are in good nick so that's a good sign, just need to up the strike rate a little.

Afghanistan level the series 2-2 after a comprehensive win in the 4th and final ODI.

Very poor batting from Zimbabwe, looks like Afghanistan wanted it more. I'm not going to read too much into this series though as Zimbabwe have rotated their playing eleven every match and as I've said they need consistency in their selection.

So next up for Afghanistan is two 4 day games against the Zimbabwe A side.

Zimbabwe Cricket News: Chigumbura Zimbabwe's limited-overs captain, Mangongo head coach | ESPN Cricinfo

^I don't mind this, Chigumbura has been around for a very long time and is a permanent member in the One Day & T20 teams. This also gives Taylor more time to focus on his batting which I feel has declined recently.

Fantastic to see Zim are playing Afghanistan in First Class matches.

Just imagine if someone at the ECB had the foresight to warm up for our home series with FC games against Ireland. Instead we prefer to rape them of their best players, and then discard them anyway (Joyce, Morgan, Rankin).

Hopefully the FC games will be proper contests!.

189883.jpg

Congrats to Afghanistan on their wins. Now have wins over 2 Test Playing countries. All be it the 2 lowest ranked ones but they've had wins over test playing countries nonetheless.

Poor first innings from Afghanistan in the unofficial test against Zimbabwe A. However, Zimbabwe A also have struggled so could be something in the pitch.

Yeah some good bowling from Chatara who picked up 5 wickets, also Luke Jongwe with a decent half century! :)

Afghanistan win the first 4 day game by 35 runs. Mark Vermeulen scoring a century and now I see that there is talk of him possibly playing against South Africa in the one off test match.

Afghanistan win the first 4 day game by 35 runs. Mark Vermeulen scoring a century and now I see that there is talk of him possibly playing against South Africa in the one off test match.

He might even be put into one of the opener positions, which he hasn't done in a while; with Mawoyo injured and Vusi kind of out of form / out of favour. I would prefer him at three or at five / six in the batting order, but I'm sure he won't care if he's back in he national team. :)

I think if he scores some more runs in the next four day game against Afghanistan then he will almost certainly be in the Test side which would be one hell of a comeback considering what he's been through.

So Afghanistan's tour of Zimbabwe ends in defeat. Vermeulen again in the runs and Mawoyo making a comeback, both of these two could potentially open against South Africa next week.

Users who are viewing this thread