AFL 2006

eagles still cannot win the flag this year with there forward line.

Dont expect the mighty Dockers to win any grand finals this year or even make the grand final, this year is the stepping stone for next years flag attack.
To win a flag first you need finals experience which is what we will gain this year hopefully.

Im off the adelaide winning the flag bandwagon and going back to my thoughts before round 1 St Kilda.

Eagles had everything to play for
Minor premiership wrapped up with a week to go
Bragging rights
Pride
Put a stop to the freo winning streak
send them plummetting back down the ladder not allowing them a chance to finish top 4 and making it tough for freo to advance in the finals which means eagles can still claim #1 WA team.

If freo advance further than the eagles in the final series u can bet your ass we will be claiming #1 team in WA rights

Nope eagles had nothing to play for they werent trying :rolleyes:

Sman-21 said:
Eagles had everything to play for
Minor premiership wrapped up with a week to go
Bragging rights
Pride
Put a stop to the freo winning streak
send them plummetting back down the ladder not allowing them a chance to finish top 4 and making it tough for freo to advance in the finals which means eagles can still claim #1 WA team.
Everything but the top reason is a load of crap, there's exactly 14 teams in the AFL whom I care about beating as much as Freo- the only time people start caring about bragging rights is when they don't have any real success to fall back on (sounds familiar?)

St Kilda won't win the flag from seventh, I'd be choosing out of West Coast, Adelaide, Freo, Sydney and possibly Melbourne- if we don't come up against your mob before GF day we won't lose 2 genuine home finals.

yeh agreed brad, i hate the eagles but adelaide wont be able to beat you at home neither will melb, out of sydney or freo who MIGHT trouble you for the flag

Ask any player what a derby victory means to them.
They try to play it down during the leadup but then the winners always go on to say how important it is and its their biggest games of the year (except finals)
They have bets amongst one another etc etc

Typical eagles fans can never admit to being beaten fair an square always have a million and one excuses.

Its simple beaten by the better team on the day
Cop it on the chin and get over it.
Now won 4 in a row against the eagles but somehow their fans always have an excuse

...and its their biggest games of the year (except finals)
The finals that are a round away and we've already sewn up two of? The game didn't have any bearing on our season and we played accordingly (obviously nobody's too impressed with the performance, but it makes no difference to our chance at a flag in the long run so who cares?)

Its simple beaten by the better team on the day
Well I would've thought it was quite obvious that you were better on the day

Now won 4 in a row against the eagles but somehow their fans always have an excuse
You don't get it- we don't need an excuse, we're top of the bloody ladder. Win all the derbies you want, fine with me if we keep finishing there.

One of the best moments of watching that game through Channel 9's coverage was when they played the old SGIO Eagle's add. The add basically implies that all the other teams in the comp are struck with terror when they face the Eagles. The only problem being, the Eagle's were getting beaten by about 8 goals when they played it (After a Freo goal as well :D )

Pure genius Channel 9...

Last edited:
haha :)

Good to see that add back on tv though, its a bloody good one.
But pretty poor timing

Still cant figure out what bird dropped dead off the perch though Adelaide??Richmond??

This time dean cox had to wash heath blacks car for losing the derby bet.
Would have loved to of seen him walkin through freo in dockers uniform again though.

Last edited:
I can't believe the Dockers...just incredible. It's hard to believe the same team was smashed by Geelong at Subiaco 2 months ago. Although the Dockers are entering dangerous territory now, they havent dropped a game in 8 weeks and have 0 finals experience, out in straight sets perhaps?

yep a winning streak this big isnt good would be great to see tem lose to port to bring them back down to earth, and show there not invincible and still need plenty of hard work to win a final.

Trouble is if they lose we will finish out of top 4 which is no good.

In a perfect world you would head to the finals with a good record or 2-3 game winning streak.

Ive alwyas thought Connoly was a smart man just didnt think he had the ability to handle players. Still unsure on this which makes me think he should just be an assistant coach or let harvey take over the role as speaker/motivator.
He changed the way teams used the interchange and is the reason we now see so many players rested.
Before he did it most players would stay on for entire games and there would only be 10-15 interchanges per game.
He came and started making 30 -50 changes and got laughed at and copped so much crap for it but now you see every team doing it.

Very proud of the teams turnaround since round 13.
Dont care if they lose every final this year becuase im already lookin forward to next year.

Adelaide v Freo Qualifying Final in Adelaide!...mixing it with the big boys now the dockers, Adelaide lost this corresponding game last year to the Saints and im sure will be desperate to right their wrongs.

Hawthorn's last game tomorrow. Very winnable! Be nice to see 'em finish the season with 4 straight wins. Pretty sad that their only other wins for the season we're in the first 5 matches!

Surprised this thread has had no replies due to the upcoming finals (maybe because 98% of the members who post are Cat's fans :p)

The finals fixtures for anyone interested, my tips in bold...

AFL Finals Series
Week 1 - Qualifying & Elimination Finals

Friday, 8th September
St.Kilda v Melbourne - Elimination Final MCG 7:30pm

Saturday, 9th September
Adelaide v Fremantle(Go Freo) -Qualifying Final AAMI 2:30pm
West Coast v Sydney -Qualifying Final Subiaco 5:30pm

Sunday, 10th September
Collingwood v Western Bulldogs Elimination Final MCG 2:30pm

Last edited:
I tipped the Saints and the Crows, so 1 out of 2, but I'm also going with WC and the pies this weekend.

Brodie Holland getting 5 weeks is a bit excessive. Maybe it's to make for Collingwood getting treated favourably over the last few weeks by the tribunal and making up for that?

Users who are viewing this thread