English Premier League vs Australian Football League

jordox

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
If you read through the thread no one has said the AFL is "bigger" than the EPL. Thats just stupid

There have been a few arguments implying it, with the comparision of crowd attends.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
There have been a few arguments implying it, with the comparision of crowd attends.
The crowds are bigger though. :rolleyes:

On the EPL site, the average attendance this year was 34k and the last year before that it was 36k whilst on many sites they've said that the AFL averaged 38k in attendence this year.

Sureshot

Executive member
We've already discussed the difference of ticket price being the main factor in differing attendances.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Yeh I'm sure if the AFL/Clubs started EPL ticket prices the crowd attendances would be a different story. Hell, Melbourne struggle to get a 15,000+ crowd as it is!

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
But also much smaller stadiums. There's no English stadium that even compares to the likes of the MCG, Telstra Dome etc. Most of the clubs in England only have a capacity of around 35k, so obviously it's impossible for the league to have an average attendance of higher than the AFL, as only the likes of Arsenal, Newcastle, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea can attract large crowds. If England had massive stadiums, similar to that of the MCG, then the EPL would attract far more fans, and would comfortably fill those stadiums. Proof of this being the last FA Cup final between 2 nothing teams, getting an attendance of 89'000+, filling Wembley stadium.

Sureshot

Executive member
That arguement is nullifyed by the fact that England has 3 times the population then what Australia does.

Population isn't that relevant to attendance figures. Ticket prices and whether people can afford the prices are the main factor. You won't get into many premiership grounds for under $100AU. Typical ticket at one of the big clubs would be about $160AU. That cost is relevant to what people are earning, not population of the country.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Population is very relevant.

The bigger the population is the bigger the crowds will be and the interest would be allot higher in a bigger country and hence why the ticket prices would rise.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Not true, actually. There was a bit of an Aussie Rules push up here in the 80s (Channel 4 used to show it on Saturday mornings) and we used to get two VFL (as was) teams come up to play an exhibition at The Oval. Most notoriously the "Battle of Britain" between North Melbourne & Carlton in (I think) 89.

As you can see from this brief clip the players took it quite seriously...

Those games still go on, Geelong played Port Adelaide a couple of years ago I think. I'm sure that they're on once every two or so years. Most of the spectators are expats though.

Last edited by a moderator:

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Population isn't that relevant to attendance figures. Ticket prices and whether people can afford the prices are the main factor. You won't get into many premiership grounds for under $100AU. Typical ticket at one of the big clubs would be about $160AU. That cost is relevant to what people are earning, not population of the country.

100 bucks per game? Blimey, is that without a club membership? If so whats the price with a membership?

People on the radio lately have been complaining about AFL ticket prices going up, seems we have it good:P

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
100 bucks per game? Blimey, is that without a club membership? If so whats the price with a membership?

People on the radio lately have been complaining about AFL ticket prices going up, seems we have it good:P
My season ticket (same seat for all home league matches) at Norwich costs AU$485.28. This is not the most expensive seat in the ground and it doesn't include cup matches, I have to pay separate for those. The price will be a lot more expensive for a team like Man Utd or Arsenal too.

Sureshot

Executive member
You're talking something like $3,000 AU for an Arsenal or Man Utd season ticket iirc. Though kids get it cheaper.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I forgot to mention my season ticket was cheaper because I am under 21.

Users who are viewing this thread